mackdog117

What is wrong with my new HDD?

i recently bought a NEW WD black edition 640gb HDD from a very good australian company (who will remain anonymous)

of course being a stingy so and so i didn't pay the $10 for postage insurance, and the postal company decided to drop my HDD..

damage is two indents on the corners of one side of the HDD (the chipset side, topside metal)

Company wont replace cos i didn't buy insurance,

WD wont do warranty cos its physical damage

.. so here i am stuck with a dead HDD

- when i plug it into a spare sata port on my desktop the HDD spins for anywere between 5-20 seconds then just stops, it doesn't turn up in disk management at all.

- When i plug it into the external usb casing it turns up in disk management but i get an i/o error when attempting to initialise.

sooo my quesitons are:

a) ideas on what could be wrong?

b) suggested place for repair?

please help me, i am quite annoyed :(

-- uploading piccy in a couple of minutes...

a) It's screwed.

b) Buy a new one.

c) All caps make baby jebus cry.

Edited by iamthemaxx

YEAH I'D SAY THAT IT'S TOTALLY BROKEN.

YOU COULD SEND IT BACK TO WD FOR AN OVERHAUL BUT YOU MIGHT BE BETTER OFF BUYING A NEW DRIVE, WITH POSTAGE INSURANCE THIS TIME.

LIVE AND LEARN AND ALL THAT.

PS - HOW COOL AM I!

Yup, probably best just to buy a new drive.

:( oh well that was an expensive lesson lol..

consider it lesson learnt!!

but the new HDD will have to wait till next weeks pay, this weeks went into a new lycosa :) (with postage insurance lol)

thanks for your help people,

but im still open for suggestions if anyone has any better ones,

tanks.

that sorta damage doesnt look like its been dropped, it looks like its been thrown... ive done less damage with a 2lb hammer!

Wow, I have never seen a drive delivered by a courier that looked like that. In doing my day to day business, I receive maybe 4-6 hard disks a week through everything from the post through to special courier delivery. I have had a few dropped, but never any damage as obvious as this.

This is huge. Surely this took an immence force. I would be questioning the courier as this is very unusual. Even without insurance, a process has broken down somewhere.

I have physically smashed drives before. (Drives taken from computers used in Government departmets) and seriously this dent takes some serious power.

Has anyone ever got an insurance payout when claiming for damage?

I don't know of any.

Not here >.< but then again I have never seen damage quite like what I see in the picture. If it has been dropped, it wouldve been from some height and probably with something else falling on top of it too.

Buy another one, this time with insurance, and when it gets to you send the old one back for insurance work. Might end up with two that you can setup in raid!

Just hope they don't check the serials....

Cheers

Buy another one, this time with insurance, and when it gets to you send the old one back for insurance work. Might end up with two that you can setup in raid!

Just hope they don't check the serials....

Cheers

Most places scan them.

Sell it on eBay as a faulty HDD. "Buyer Beware"

It's surprising people on eBay still buy faulty things. They must not have anything better to do.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy