• Samsung N110
    • BenQ U101 Joybook
    • OCZ Neutrino
    • Dell Latitude 2100
    • Fujitsu M2010
    • Toshiba NB200
    • Sony VAIO P
    • Other

Hey a lot of Atomic members have netbooks so hopefully they are willing to share their experience on what they own. Ask, comment, boast about your netbook. And be sure to ask for any help.

Enjoy this thread.

Edited by Tech-Kid

Well the U100 definitely has the better features such as larger HDD space but it is one of the largest netbooks available. The Dell Mini 9 has smaller HDD space but is heaps more compact and looks a lot better IMO. And the Dell also costs more. I'm still waiting for dual core models.

I'll just copy the response I gave in 2.6

----------------

Well I took my MSI Wind (Black) out for a proper field test yesterday coupling it with my Vodafone USB 3G modem.

Some things I quite like about it.

The keyboard is a good size. Typing on it was pretty easy as this thing has a larger keyboard from what I understand than the smallest eeePC.

The 10" screen is nothing to write home about but using it on the net was adequate to the task and useful enough.

I VPNed into a couple of systems remotely and am now convinced this will be a great tool for offsite emergency repairs. I will need to invest in a small, lightweight USB mouse though.

I found the build quality, while appearing really plastic actually was fairly solid. I didn't have a problem with it on my lap or moving it from lap to table. The controls work ok and except for the fact that I have already bogged down the OS with AV and whatnot it worked pretty well once all was loaded. I didn't have any issues with the battery (6 cell FTW) and for the few hours I used it booting up and shutting down in between I still had 50% left.

The 1.2KG weight (with the 6 cell battery) was fine in my small crumpler messenger bag.

The shortcomings of this notebook however would lead me to investigate something else next time around to see if there is something better.

On the bottom of the battery are two small rubber feet (6 cell battery). One has already gone missing. This shits me to tears as the cost of a 1c rubber foot and the effort to obtain a replacement annoys the crap out of me considering I have been told to contact MSI direct for it. The worst thing about it is that when on a table, it's noticable that the notebook doesn't feel as stable.

Now the next thing that shits me about this notebook may have something to do with the rubber foot or something to do with the overall design. Due to the weight of the screen, the lack of weight from the front of the notebook and the raised bottom from the battery, the notebook tends to overbalance backwards causing the front of the notebook to "lift". If your typing with your palms on the front of the notebook or if the screen is not adjusted too far back this is not a real problem although consider that with the small size of the notebook the screen needs a fairly good backward position to see it unless it it raised.

The mouse is way too small but this might be an issue just with me with all netbooks. My model has all the scrolly functions you would expect from a touch pad (run your finger down the right side of the pad for up/ down scrolling) although some people are reporting that there are models now without this. Considering I bought mine at the start of August I would say there are still models in Aus that are new and still have this functionality.

Future expansion:

I do intend to up the RAM from 1- 2 GB, one day upgrade the HDD once SSD come down in price and to eventually change the wireless card to something with "N" that will also be natively compatible with Linux and Hackintosh OSX. All of these are apparently very simple with youtube clips available for at least the RAM, Wireless and HDD showing you how and a good wiki on Hackintosh for the Wind. Mind you, installing Ubuntu was easy with the same wiki giving clear instructions on getting the onboard wifi working.

All in all though I am happy with my purcahse. I bought this more out of curiosity and a sense of "potential" for a netbook and it didn't hurt that I had a supplier selling these so I got it at wholesale. It worked out $100 cheaper than the Asus for me.

Well the U100 definitely has the better features such as larger HDD space but it is one of the largest netbooks available. The Dell Mini 9 has smaller HDD space but is heaps more compact and looks a lot better IMO. And the Dell also costs more. I'm still waiting for dual core models.

Say what? StaticIce has the U100 for $599.95 at the absolute cheapest, while the Dell is $599.

Unless you're talking about the U90, which is $30 cheaper, but has an 8.9" screen not 10"

My bad I was talking about the U90.

AMD are apparently releaseing competitive dual core CPU's for netbooks so we'll see how things go. Still, if I could choose one right now I'd choose the Dell. Just for looks. MSI Wind for value.

While mine isn't technically a netbook in the recent sense of the word, I'm very happy with my Fujitsu P1510 - an 8.9" widescreen tablet PC. It's a couple of years old now I guess, but it's probably better feature wise than the eeePCs or any of the other netbooks.

A few comments about it:

• The keyboard is pretty bloody small and takes a bit to get used to - though thankfully I've got small hands so it's not that much of a problem.
  • After I replaced the original 60GB 1.8" HD with a compact flash card, everything is considerably faster and snappier. Even though it's only a P-M 1.2GHz with 512MB RAM, the system performs quite well for uni work and carting around for entertainment value.
  • Upgrading the RAM is going to cost a bomb - it uses a micro-DIMM (the RAM is about half the size of regular notebook RAM) and is as rare as hen's teeth - I don't think I'll even bother upgrading it.
  • Tablets are over-rated. Maybe it's just the cheap stylus, but I really don't use it much...more of an inconvenience than something that's really helpful at the moment. Maybe I'll find a use for it later.
  • Battery life is pretty reasonable with the 6-cell battery. I get about 4 hours or so watching a DivX movie, but anything using the wireless LAN card really hurts it.
  • The screen resolution is a bit small for my liking (1024x600). I'd much prefer something like the HP Mini supports (1280x800). New versions of the Fujitsu (such as the P1610 or P1620) come with this screen resolution.

The newer revisions of this notebook come with a Core2Duo and 2GB of RAM (I think), so a new one is pretty well equipped for pretty much anything, but for a uni PC, I can't get enough of mine.

I own an Acer Aspire One.

It's one of the only Netbooks that has a wider shape/appearance, the EeePC reminds me of a 4:3 TV, the Aspire One resembles a 16:9 ratio.

Also, it was the only one to offer a large capacity stock HDD, upgradeable to 2GB of RAM, two SD slots, etc.

Although it lacks two main things; Bluetooth and a non-optional 6 cell 6600mAh battery (the stock battery is a 2 cell 2200mAh).

I am also running the Aspire One. Good little machine, cheap as chips ($489 after rebate - probably cheaper now), quick performance, excellent build quality (from an Acer? No Way!), touch-typeable keyboard, 3 USB, 2 SD, 120GB HDD, 1GB DDR2, Atom 1.6Ghz CPU.

My main issue with it is the battery. I get just over 2 hours watching a divx film, which is rubbish compared to some of the other netbooks.

As for the lack of bluetooth, meh - I use a nextG wireless modem for my internet access (yes I know I'm getting ripped off, but it does have great coverage).

I think this thread needs more poll. It would be nice to get a snapshot of what the popularity if netbooks are to members of this forum.

I am also running the Aspire One. Good little machine, cheap as chips ($489 after rebate - probably cheaper now), quick performance, excellent build quality (from an Acer? No Way!), touch-typeable keyboard, 3 USB, 2 SD, 120GB HDD, 1GB DDR2, Atom 1.6Ghz CPU.

My main issue with it is the battery. I get just over 2 hours watching a divx film, which is rubbish compared to some of the other netbooks.

As for the lack of bluetooth, meh - I use a nextG wireless modem for my internet access (yes I know I'm getting ripped off, but it does have great coverage).

Same here. Aspire One represent! :P

I can't wait for the Gigabyte M912 to come out, it's a tablet PC as well. They could've at least thought of a catchier name.

The Dell Inspiron Mini 9 looks good too.

Seems everyone has the EEE or the Aspire.

Performance results of the Atom 330 have surfaced and obviously, it's twice better than the performance of the current 1.6GHz ones. N270 I think it is...

A new netbook has been released by ECS. It's the ECS G10IL. And it looks pretty as well. :D

You might want to consider the AMD Athlon 2000X2's when they're in full swing. More performance than an Atom at 1.6GHz. And it comes with a better chipset apparently.

Still waiting for those dual cores?

I am too... :(

I have finally decided on my next machine. I'll be using it for lecture notes, and basic internets. As such it will be slung in my backpack and carried around a lot. Therefore I have decided on the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, as a 16GB SSD is enough for Office 2007, Chrome, Endnote, and whatever little bits I need to get for my course. If I need more room whilst not at home, I've always got my 80GB 2.5" USB drive.

The clincher is the fact that there's fewer moving parts than normal. The SSD, the passive cooling, the reported good build quality aught to make for a rugged little machine that should do well.

You guys notice how the area around the keyboard resembles Apple Macs?

The ECS looks just so nice in the pictures and hopefully it will be released in Australia soon.

And nice choice on the Dell Mini 9 siegfried. Please remember to post some pictures and tell us how it performs and comment on the build quality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apologies for the quality, lowlight + iPhone camera = fail

It really is a beautiful machine, I'm glad I went with the blue too.

I'll get some better quality ones up when I get a chance.

How is the battery on it?

I want to buy one next pay so I can play with linux, but I don't want to compromise the beautiful setup I can have with Vista.

Let me know what distro and compatibility for it is on the Acer if you will...

That is provided you are putting linux on it...

Installed Debian Lenny

No problems at all getting it going, except Xorg which wouldn't force the DPI settings until I added it to the commandline rather than the xorg.conf

The first thing I did was boot up with my Debian Netinstall USB Key and wiped the windows partition. Kept the Acer eRecovery partition on the disk though purely because they don't come with recovery discs and I might want to sell it off later, being able to restore the XP partition will help :P