• Samsung N110
    • BenQ U101 Joybook
    • OCZ Neutrino
    • Dell Latitude 2100
    • Fujitsu M2010
    • Toshiba NB200
    • Sony VAIO P
    • Other

I use mine for work stuff whilst out and about, I have the company's connection on the Cisco VPN dialler and the company's license of Office '07 installed on my EEE, I use it for server maintenance, and as a basic termianl for forcing upgrades on other machines.

I might install VNC on it today so I can fix network machines without Remote Desktop when I am away from work.

I bought it for personal use, but I use it for so much more.

Just got back from giving an EEEPC to the Mayor, he loves it, one of our building managers is getting one soon, and my Department manager is talking of getting one very soon, probably this weekend.

I now have three laptops and a desktop, this is getting ridiculous, I might need to build a couple more desktop machines to balance it out a bit.

stadl: Ah, work purposes :)

My netbook is purely for personal use, and I don't find myself using it too much unless I bring it with me away from my desk at home.

bah. dont say that too loud, or the taxman will hear you =_=

/me belts sil around the head with the "just fucking claim it" stick. :P

Yeahh I'm overly sick of waiting for my Aspire to come back, as long as my pay comes in tonight I'll be heading to DSE first thing tomorrow and buying another one.

I would have chosen the Aspire One over the EEE 901 as well.

It's cheaper and looks a shitload better. And it also has a bigger HDD and comes in blue :P

I assume we're talking the A110 here? Doesn't it have an 8gb SSD compared to the 901s 12/20 SSD? Also - the 901 has a 6cell while the Aspire One has a 6cell.

I'm currently trying to choose a netbook, but I keep on going round and round in circles :P Hence why I'm wanting to know how others came to their decisions.

Rob.

1000h :) you wont regret it.

901 is smaller and has better battery life :P 901 has slightly smaller screen, but thats not important to me, same resolution.

Only advantage of the 1000h is the 80gb hard disk, which further eats into battery life.

(This will be for an overseas trip, and while I'm not 100% sure what I'll be using it for I'm guessing I should prioritse battery life)

Rob.

what kind of battery life are you looking for? because that was initially a concern to me... but i've been using mine on the batt at work, and been getting ~6 hours with it either playing mp3's or looping video all day.

but 4 to 5 hours has been easily achievable.

I assume we're talking the A110 here? Doesn't it have an 8gb SSD compared to the 901s 12/20 SSD? Also - the 901 has a 6cell while the Aspire One has a 6cell.

I'm currently trying to choose a netbook, but I keep on going round and round in circles :P Hence why I'm wanting to know how others came to their decisions.

Rob.

I'm talking about the A150X which is the main one you'll find in australia, all Aussie XP Versions are the A150

1GB of ram, 120GB HDD, Win XP Home.

3 Cell battery, but you get 3 hours out of that, I'll be picking up a 6 cell at one point.

You'll actually find that there isn't a huge difference in power consumption between SSD and HDD models at the moment, SSD's still aren't as good as they could be.

I bought the Aspire for a few reasons, the Price point, the looks, great linux compatibility thanks to hardware decisions made during design, and also because I used to work at Acer :P

what kind of battery life are you looking for? because that was initially a concern to me... but i've been using mine on the batt at work, and been getting ~6 hours with it either playing mp3's or looping video all day.

That's the thing - I'm not quite sure what kind of battery life I'm looking for. My reasoning at the moment is limited to "smaller screen and SSD = longer battery life". 6 hours, though, 'ought to be about right. The main issue though would be the size. Sure if I go smaller it means a cramped keyboard, but I think that given it's purpose is travel it's a worthy trade-off.

I'm talking about the A150X which is the main one you'll find in australia, all Aussie XP Versions are the A150

Staticice disagrees, no mention of the A150X at all, but fair enough :P

You'll actually find that there isn't a huge difference in power consumption between SSD and HDD models at the moment, SSD's still aren't as good as they could be.

Hrm, that's an interesting point. Especially when one considers that when battery life is really important (plane trips) I will have to use a HDD of some kind in order to access my media. Although, a 16gb SDHC might be enough. At 750kbit/second that would give be 50 hours of video. On the flipside, though, would it be possible for me to choose only 16gb of stuff to take with me? :P

Thing is, if I go with the eeePC 900 (not the 901) I can easily justify one of those $70 "10.4Ah" batteries off eBay. I don't believe for a second they will actually give me 10.4Ah, but it will be a sizeable bump nonetheless.

Bah, my head hurts. :P

Undoubtedly my main issue at the moment is that I just haven't set out what my requirements are. I'm yet to decide what I want in terms of battery life and HDD space.

The only thing I'm somewhat sure over is I'd prefer a 9" screen for size reasons. (Which excludes the MSI U90 which is a 9" in a 10" form factor :P). Of course, this misses the possibility of me wanting to keep the netbook after my trip and using it for Uni :P

[edit]: I forgot one thing. I'm fairly certain that being able to run linux/airsnort could come in handy at times.

Rob.

Staticice disagrees, no mention of the A150X at all, but fair enough :P

Both of the ones I've bought are the 150X but it might be listed as A150 minus the X

the A110 is only available with linux, and the A150L with linux is not available in australia

You have two choices with the Aspire in Australia, A110L or A150X

We only get a choice between white or blue too :(

[edit]: I forgot one thing. I'm fairly certain that being able to run linux/airsnort could come in handy at times.

I don't know which chipset the Eee uses, but the Aspire uses an Atheros Wifi chipset, very well supported under linux and one of the best chipsets for sniffing/etc :)

I ended up buying an aspire one and sent the cash back form about a week now. And I just checked the website and its still saying pending support documents. I just knew this cashback schemes are a scam. First Canon and their printer cashback that went nowhere and now this! Very angry. Will call and email on monday.

****ing bullsh*t!!!

and the worst thing? My 1 week old aspire one is now making ticking noises. I'm quite annoyed with it. I don't know what is causing it? That harddrive (it sounds like it). Urgh! I feel like shaking the ***k out of it to hopefully make it stop ticking. :(

So, despite my impatience, I did get my Dell Mini, and consequently I lost most of a week to playing with it. It is just so very cool. I have it dual booting between XP and Ubuntu. I can't make up my mind as to which one I prefer yet. Eventually I will pick one of them and make it the only OS on here. I've just got to wait for my somewhat... rusty... linux skills to come back.

I'm having a little trouble getting the wireless to connect under linux. I can see the available networks, and their signal strength, and it detects the right level of security, but after I've typed in the network key, it doesn't connect. This is one of the two things holding me back from using linux more. The other thing is Microsoft OneNote. I love it for taking lecture notes. I reckon, though, that if I got wireless working in linux, I'd probably use it most of the time as it is a fair bit more responsive than XP.

As for the hardware, I quite like the build quality and the fit and finish. It's a really well built machine, with a really nice screen. Even though the glossy black of the case doesn't pick up fingerprints as much as I expected, I still need to invest in some lens cloths, as it still gets quite smudgy. I've noticed that opinion is strongly divided about the keyboard. It is mildly annoying that they've moved the apostrophy down to the spacebar row, but apart from that it's ok. I can still touch type on it.

I haven't done any proper tests, but in my general mixed use I am seeing about 3.5 - 4 hours battery life. I will probably buy the six cell battery when it comes out so I can get maximum run time. First, though, I will upgrade to 2GB RAM, and get a 16GB SDHC.

In summary, I am very pleased with my decision to get the Dell.

I ended up buying an aspire one and sent the cash back form about a week now. And I just checked the website and its still saying pending support documents. I just knew this cashback schemes are a scam. First Canon and their printer cashback that went nowhere and now this! Very angry. Will call and email on monday.

****ing bullsh*t!!!

and the worst thing? My 1 week old aspire one is now making ticking noises. I'm quite annoyed with it. I don't know what is causing it? That harddrive (it sounds like it). Urgh! I feel like shaking the ***k out of it to hopefully make it stop ticking. :(

Call them and bug them about it, if you chase it up it should get done

On the second problem, is it less than 14 days old? if so you can get it replaced by your retailer.

Ahhh I can't decide which one I want to get.

I'm looking at the Dell Mini, the Acer Aspire and the Eee 1000H.

Only thing holding me back with the Acer is it has the lowest battery life of the three.

I was hoping for something around 4-5hours.

I quite like the look of the 1000H but it is a little more expensive than the others, correct?

Also it is a little heavier?

I really like the look of the Dell, but I am again unsure about the 16gb SSD >.<

I could cope with that and possibly a 8 or 16gb card in the slot, or should I just get the Acer or Eee with the larger hard drive?

Too many choices =(

Ahhh I can't decide which one I want to get.

I'm looking at the Dell Mini, the Acer Aspire and the Eee 1000H.

Only thing holding me back with the Acer is it has the lowest battery life of the three.

I was hoping for something around 4-5hours.

I quite like the look of the 1000H but it is a little more expensive than the others, correct?

Also it is a little heavier?

I really like the look of the Dell, but I am again unsure about the 16gb SSD >.<

I could cope with that and possibly a 8 or 16gb card in the slot, or should I just get the Acer or Eee with the larger hard drive?

Too many choices =(

I chose the EEE1000H for build quality, screen size, keyboard size and the ability to load a massive hard drive in there, I have about 40+ GB of comics now, 50+ GB of music, 50+ GB of videos and am still sitting with about 100GB free on my 320GB HDD.

The drive is quick, the Laptop is a little slow to boot, but I am getting around that.

The A150 Aspire takes notebook SATA Drives, but yeah the battery life is only around 3 hours depending on what you're doing.

I'm trying to source a 6-cell but everyone is out of stock, and Acer Sales charge $99 for shipping. :S

The A150 Aspire takes notebook SATA Drives, but yeah the battery life is only around 3 hours depending on what you're doing.

I'm trying to source a 6-cell but everyone is out of stock, and Acer Sales charge $99 for shipping. :S

$99 for shipping??

Do they wrap it in pure gold and buibble wrap made of platinum and ship it around the world first?

If not, that is fucking highway robbery.

I know.

I don't remember it being that way two years ago, things have really changed since I left.

I don't trust ebay batteries either, and the stores I've found that do stock them won't have any stock until next month.

I'd pick up if It was actually viable for me to travel to them...

Where does one buy the EEE batteries? I bet DSE etc all actually stock them, unlike the aspire.

Catch of the day have the Aspire One up for $518 + $30 shipping to Victoria.

If only I had the money now! D=

That brings it down to $419 + Shipping after cashback >.>

Much cheaper than i've seen it around.

if i was bothered doing the cashback forms I would've opted for the 3 year warranty in lieu of cashback.

I was too lazy to bother though.

If you do get one, be sure to keep the box, reciept and everything - you'll need it to get the cashback.

World of Netbooks has been slow. Still, I'm getting mine in December :D

ECS G10IL still not released as is the Lenovo S10.

Dell has run out of Mini 9's. My brother tried to buy one a week ago, and there were none left, so he rang them and they told him they're getting more in on the 15th.

They must be selling well!

Dell has run out of Mini 9's. My brother tried to buy one a week ago, and there were none left, so he rang them and they told him they're getting more in on the 15th.

They must be selling well!

I was wondering why they didn't have pricing info on the Dell site, and neither did Officeworks.