• BenQ U101 Joybook
    • OCZ Neutrino
    • Dell Latitude 2100
    • Fujitsu M2010
    • Toshiba NB200
    • Sony VAIO P
    • Other

Well, as of today, I'm in the club.

I bought an Acer Aspire One (AOD150). 10" LED backlit LCD, Atom N270 1.6GHz, 160GB HDD, 1GB RAM (upgrading to 2GB later today, hopefully).

I've just finished installing Windows 7, and I've gotta say I'm thoroughly impressed with how the little thing's handling it. Aero glass and all. And I didn't even need any drivers! :D

Best part is it's only costing me $430 after cashback.

how easy it was to upgrade the RAM. All you have to do is to remove a lid at the back to get access to memory and HDD. Try the same operation on an Acer ;)

It's one screw out to take off the small panel to get to the RAM... Same for the HDD.

Edited by SquallStrife

I should point out that i dropped a 320gb hdd into my 1000h. need the storage space for when we hit the states.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

I meant to post in here ages ago.

Been a 701 owner for well over a year and a half now. Saved me when I moved from Canberra to Cairns with nothing but a bag full of clothes and a small backpack full of nerd essentials. Used to leech wireless internet from neighbours and had movies and TV shows on an external drive until I found a place to live and get my own internet.

Now I think the wireless module in it is fucked. Getting random errors (Will fix it when I get a chance). But it's been great to have. Later when I can afford it and if this one is truly fucked I'll get something new.

One of the first things I got for mine is a Logitech VX Nano mouse. I just measured it, it sticks out of the USB port by 9mm. Small enough to leave permanently in a USB port. Only thing annoying with the mouse is that it has no middle click (clicking the wheel changes it from clicky wheel to smooth wheel). I hated using the touchpad.

Edited by morris

Best mouse for these things is a Bluetooth one. no receiver required :)

My netbook doesn't have bluetooth

Figured I might poke my head in here again and give some feedback after about 15 months using the HP2133.

The poor battery life hasn't bothered me because I mostly use it around home for web and email, and it's easy to keep it plugged in most of the time, but I still value he small size and weight for use while sitting on the lounge.

Performance is still very average for multi tasking, but that's not really the purpose. Screen, keyboard and audio still fantastic and very usable.

To be honest, 18 months after it was releasaed, the rest of the netbook market is still pretty unimpressive. Most more recent models don't offer any improvement in screen resolution or I/O to justify me upgrading - in most cases, the newer models have worse specs.

As of today, I am a proud owner of an Asus EEEPC 1000HE.

I gotta say, it's a great little thing so far, the keyboard is so comfortable, Only issue is now i'm going to have to get a portable DVD drive to install some stuff on there!

Got myself a Benq U101. Paid about $600. Pissed off XP for a Ubuntu netbook remix install, given that I have my PC in the loungerrom I'm finding it hard to do anything overly useful with it but oh well, it'll be a new toy for a while. :)

My little lady and I are off to Europe for two weeks in October so I went picked up a Toshiba NB200 on the weekend.. Didn't need anything too fancy since we'll hardly use it outside of holidays.. which after Europe will be pretty few and far between!

It'll cost me $460 after rebate thanks to JB-employed brother... I'm pretty happy with that... 120GB HDD for lots of movies / robot chicken / mythbusters episodes for the flights...

I also installed Half Life and GTA2 on it which both work a treat :D

Anyone else had any luck with games on their netbook? I uninstalled the Wild Tangent shit as soon as i turned it on (along with all the unwanted crap... like DVD burning software..??? I mean WTF Toshiba...? Why do I need DVD burning software on my Netbook THAT HAS NO FRUCKING OPTICAL DRIVE???

As Juggs said above.. sharing an optical drive from my PC has made installing crap from disks easy...

Only dissapointment is G standard wifi... Seeing as I bought it to mooch hotspots in Europe so we can find our way around/order beer/book accomodation etc it would have been nice to expand the range a bit with N standard (as i notice the Dells have standard)... Oh well... Considering the thing has a $788 price tag on the box I am pretty happy for $460!

Oh and as any Atomican would already know... for those of you who haven't installed Linux on their netbook... run msconfig and get rid of some of the crap loading on startup... my NB200 boots XP stupidly fast after getting rid of half of the crap in there!

wow... cool new no-double-post feature :)

why? just share out an optical drive over your network. or install daemon tools and copy across isos.

I suppose that would be alright then, I may have to learn how to share an optical drive though. See if I can do it from my desktop.

Anyway this little baby made me even happier last night, was testing out what I can get to work, and found that some downloaded TV shows fit the screen perfectly, and even though the speakers aren't that crash hot it's still a good watching experience.

why? just share out an optical drive over your network. or install daemon tools and copy across isos.

I suppose that would be alright then, I may have to learn how to share an optical drive though. See if I can do it from my desktop.

On the desktop:

Win XP: Open windows explorer > right click the optical drive > sharing and security > click here if you understand blah blah > you'll work it out....

Win 7: Open windows explorer > right click the optical drive > share with > specific people > everbody > you'll work it out....

Win Vista: not sure... I skipped it... probably more like 7 above...?

then... chuck the DVD into your optical drive...

then... on the netbook: win explorer > my network places > optical drive > setup.exe (or whatever) > you'll work it out....