Lambo

Worklog: Lambo's Mame Cabinet

Well I like actually like the dark green. It is alot darker than the pics do justice, however I am waiting for some decals to finish off the theme.

My speaker grills arrived today:

Posted Image

Testing the size:

Posted Image

And the fitting:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow I pickup my perspex for the marque and the main cover screen.

Nice, yeah I spose once you get some decals bangin on that bad boy its gonna look sweet, what are you planning on using for speakers? are you gonna get some to fit the holes?

Some old logitech x-530's are just behind the holes. Grill will be pretty much as is. In real life it's hard to see through them anyhow unless you shine a light through it.

Ah, fair enough. Hehe, if there are any games that support 5.1, you could attach 2 poles to the top of the cabinet, and mount the rear speakers upside down on the pole extensions, so theyre sitting behind you while playing. 5.1 arcade ftw! :P

A very nice build Lambo. It has inspired me to do a little work each day on Arcanes cabinet. We are still a long way off completion due to some other things happening, but it's getting there.

We're also using the same speaker grills, and agree with you on MaximusArcade.

Did you end up finding someone to do decals? I think Arcane had a few ideas for that.

A very nice build Lambo. It has inspired me to do a little work each day on Arcanes cabinet. We are still a long way off completion due to some other things happening, but it's getting there.

We're also using the same speaker grills, and agree with you on MaximusArcade.

Did you end up finding someone to do decals? I think Arcane had a few ideas for that.

Nope I haven't yet. I think custom printer will be the order of the day on this one.

I've been messing around now with the marque.

I haven't found one I like so I've been messing with photoshop and some high res images of game characters. Here is my first effort:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It needs some work and it's not perfect, the logos need to move a bit or I might get rid of them all together. I've been also messing with what kind of lighting I want but nothing set in concrete.

Next tho I need to get some new moulding for the perspex between the monitor and the frame. The one I was using didn't turn out the way I wanted so I'm going to replace it with more square neater 'C' moulding. (As soon as I find a Clark Rubber that actually keeps it...)

Also I'll need some molding for the edges still to do and as Chancellor and Arcane have mentioned Decals to finalize the theme. Also I might get a decal made that changes the X-Arcade Surface to something more fitting.

Looks pretty cool.

If you want a good source for decals then become friendly with someone who has access to a vinyl printer/cutter. They can print straight onto self-adhesive vinyl in almost any size you like, and cut it to any shape you need.

I decided on some edging today, used rounded bullnose edging.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And went with yellow. Don't know why just did.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still needs a few more coats to get the deep gloss.

Now I was going to go with this for the marque:

Posted Image

But since I was messing with photoshop I updated it:

Posted Image

zzozzach, I wished I had someone I knew!

Now the arcade buttons are all the same color so time to change that!

Ordered a whole set of new buttons and color from http://www.replayarcade.com.au

I've rewired the PC so the power switch is on the front. The other button now turns the neon lights at the top on.

Posted Image

Very close to the end now build wise.....

Edited by Lambo

That's kind of you to say, but considering the time invested I won't be quiting my day job anytime soon. And there are certainly better looking ones out there. But there is no doubt this has been a labour of love.

I've done the other side last night:

Posted Image

So both sides now done, just waiting on paint to dry, give one final coat.

Posted Image

Looking nearly complete now:

Posted Image

I've ordered new perspex for the marque as they white frosted one I experimented with hasn't come out as expected so I will have that before the end of the week. Overall I'm pleased with the overall look. More to come and hopefully the next update will be the final pics.

I know this is a bit of zombie revival, but:

Being the owner of 3 arcade cabs, LCD for a mame cab is the best way to go. The arcade CRTs don't follow a standard that is commercially easy to get hold of, and LCDs are cheap, light and far better for this type of application. You can't simply plug a VGA or DVI card into an arcade tube. There are solutions out there, but they are niche and not cheap.

If I was going to replace the tube in one of my cabs, which I will have to do soon to a street fighter conversion box I have, it will involve stripping out the monitor and harness and replacing it with an LCD and mounting.

I know this is a bit of zombie revival, but:

Being the owner of 3 arcade cabs, LCD for a mame cab is the best way to go. The arcade CRTs don't follow a standard that is commercially easy to get hold of, and LCDs are cheap, light and far better for this type of application. You can't simply plug a VGA or DVI card into an arcade tube. There are solutions out there, but they are niche and not cheap.

If I was going to replace the tube in one of my cabs, which I will have to do soon to a street fighter conversion box I have, it will involve stripping out the monitor and harness and replacing it with an LCD and mounting.

Well that's why I went for the LCD TBH. Not to mention the weight and difficulty mounting the thing. The only issue is some of the older stuff really doesn't like the widescreen, but hey, it's all compromise.

My new buttons arrived today:

Posted Image

If there is one lesson I've now learned is that these things are not easy to remove once they are in. So it turns out I need a 'button wrench'.

Luckily I found a local arcade supplier that has them. Along with Organe and Yellow buttons which will allow more customization for the layout.

Inside the tank-stick:

Posted Image

Having now played around inside this thing, I can safely say that if I was ever to build another one, I'd be confident that I could do it from scratch like the real professionals. But this gives great flex ability and who knows down the track I might put a propper one in there.