Sign in to follow this  
gummybear

wireless adsl modem bridged to wireless router

not sure how to explain this but i'll try my best.

i have a netcomm NB6W ADSL2 modem which has 1 ethernet port and 54G wireless feature. I also have the Dlink DIR 655 which i think better features as a dedicated router and has MIMO & Draft-N wireless protocol. I have 2 laptops, 1 desktop and a PS3. I want to be able to hook everything up to the Dlink router while still having access to the internet via the netcomm modem.

I know I can connect an ethernet cable from the ADSL modem to the router and the internet will work. But does this slow anything down?

If possible I would like to have the modem and the router connected wirelessly, is this possible? this way i can have the modem near the phone port and my router elsewhere without having a cable snaking around.

someone point me in the right direction! =)

No, using the router with a cable will not slow anything down at all. If your modem has a wireless feature, you can probably use that quite safely, and using the D-link router won't give you any perceivable benefits. Netgear products tend to be of a higher quality, and you may run into troubles with the D-link in the future. You can't setup the router to connect to the modem via a wireless connection, because you could not do so in a way that would also allow clients to connect to the router and have a correct route to the internet.

Well considering the DLink has gigabit ports the best solution is to connect the Dlink to the Netcomm via ethernet, then set up the Netcomm in bridge mode for the ADSL connection (page 44 of the user guide). Take care not to confuse this with the wireless bridge mode settings.

Also disable the NB6W's wireless.

You then set up the Dlink to do the actual ADSL connection (page 15 in the manual). Doing this makes the Netcomm a dumb modem and the DLink does all the internet connecting stuff, NATing DHCP etc.

You can't do a wireless bridge with this hardware. The Netcomm supports wireless bridging but the DLink does not.