Fragasaurus

Circling the drain: Why I feel like not buying the mag anymore...

Please try to convince me why I should still buy the mag.

The Mackiller article went up on bit-tech.net on the 10th of this month (which is affliated with Custom PC). I'm no longer excited to read the mag. I used to tear out to the newsie/letterbox when the release date came up. I popped this issue in the throne room, and despite retiring to comtemplate several times, I left it in the pile.

To be fair, being a new husband/dad does eat up a lot of my time, but I still love to read. I love to read about tech, especially Atomic's edgy take on tech. Tutorials about cool weird stuff too, case mods and the like.

I'm not feeling it since ish 100...

Why should I keep ponying up the cash?

PS: I understand the irony of bitching about this issue when I've only looked at the cover. I'm just sad that after 103 issues, I might stop reading the mag, and I'd like to be swayed otherwise.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice on this, but I'll do my best...

1. To keep David Hollingworth and Frunj employed.

2. For old time's sake.

3. Because Lord Haymarket is down to his last 2.5 billion pounds and needs your cash.

4. So former POTM winners get their prizes.

5. Because without the mag there wouldn't be forums.

6. To give UK writers an antipodean audience.

7. Because without Atomic you may be tempted to buy PCPP.

8. Because Dan Rutter should be on paper not just the web.

9. So you can get your avatar in the Issue 200 poster.

Oh, and

10. Because it's a good mag, too :)

Edited by just_some_guy

To be perfectly honest, I no longer get the same sense of excitement that I once did when the latest copy arrived. I think, though, that this was more me than them, as it happened a good long while ago.

That being said, to me Atomic is still worth the $x it is per month (which I can't remember off the top of my head). It might not rank as highly as I did a few years back, but I had no qualms at all it renewing my sub a few months back.

Also, I really do think that - at the very least - the team do know what used to make Atomic so good, and are actively trying to tap into that. Does it come through in all recent issues? Not quite. But there certainly are, in my eyes, a couple of issues where it shines.

Rob.

Swings and roundabouts.

Sometimes I'm amped as all get-out to read the latest issue...other times it can sit there for weeks before I read it.

And I know that it's me and my moods...not the magazine.

I let my sub lapse for a while, but I was still picking up each issue at the newsagent. Like the mafia, they kept pulling me back in. So I re-subbed.

Sure, we're now getting syndicated articles, but they're from a magazine I don't read and their linked sites, which I don't visit.

Atomic's still a damn fine read each month.

I feel that the mag has gone back to the feel of bens atomic, with a current twist.. :D

and who reads pcpp these days anyway? :P

also, david is awesome at wearing stylish trenchcoats :)

I've not read the magazine for years. Had no interest in it. The quality went downhill really fast once ol' cranky ben left the chair, and never picked up again. I did read issue 50 and that would have been the last one. I cant say i've even picked one up and thumbed through it since then.

Until last month, where the HSF roundup suckered me in. I dig the shit out of these and figured i'd give it a go. I read it - but then didn't give a shit for the rest of the mag.

I dont care for whoever it is answering stupid questions in the back of the mag. You want a way to clear up dead paper and put more content in? Get rid of that shit. I didn't much care for the rest of the writing. What moz used to do on the last page is now something i barely got through the first couple of lines on. I couldn't tell you who wrote it, or what it was about. i just didn't give a shit.

And i tried, honestly i wanted to see if i could pick up an interest again. Especially now that i could write off my purchases as a tax deduction (and christ knows i could do with more of those).

But i just dont care. Just about each and every article i read through the magazine lost me within a few lines of opening. Sorry worms, but fuck that atomic.edu off as well.

And no, its not a case of me moving on. I'm obviously wanting this kind of information, i spend each morning trawling news sites once i'm done with SMH. Its just that the current content isn't enough for me to be interested.

I was hoping to get the next one as there were a few things i wanted to follow up, but thats not likely to happen...

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

I subscribe

I have read every issue since 1

I try to read the mag......but I think I do it, to keep the forums alive, and because of what I used to like about the mag. For me, in MPC I want to see more MAX.

OC, is that all you have got?

Less OCing and more Stargate, and no I am not talking about popular fiction - TECH

The closest thing to breathtaking in the last 25 issues was the ZFS thing. Gaming, meh. Peripherals, [insert sarcasm, I cant be bothered]

Whatever happen to Chernobyl?

Will there be a Nagasaki? Personally I doubt it.

I say this cause I care, less meh, more MAX.

I will continue to sub

and I will continue to try reading the mag

If you don't want to, don't buy it.

David's not gonna come up and put a gun to your head if you don't.

Whatever happen to Chernobyl?

This. I read the HSF feature, and the name wasn't mentioned once. That turned me off the rest of the mag quite heavily.

Then i went on to find it to be just like womans day, except with a few more calculators thrown in.

A few names have come to mind that i'd say "get rid of that fucker" but then, i dont wanna point fingers at individuals. Then again, theres probably only like 4 contributers there these days, so its not hard to figure out who i feel should be first against the wall.

And please, get rid of the mugshots. Fair enough have one for dave - but the rest? No thanks. Less mugging, less forced attempts at humour, less shite. More tech.

I'll admit, I don't buy it as much anymore because to be blunt, I'm not in it anymore ;)

I mean.... that sounds more conceited than it really is, but in the end I was reading the magazine because I was a part of the wheels turning, so I had a vested interest in just about every little corner of the mag, every section, every paragraph.

Maybe a slice of that is bitterness, I suppose. I mean, it's hard to pick up the mag now and see Atomic.edu - a section I think has about as much validity in Atomic as a feature on religious tolerance in the Middle East - still claiming pages, where the stuff I was doing was boxed up and shipped out to 32 Abyss st.

The above by the way is zero reflection on Chris' ability as a writer, but the content itself. Put it in a University newsletter or something .

I don't really buy tech magazines as a rule because I can find everything I need from a multitude of RSS feeds, so maybe I'm not the best person to help you find a reason to keep reading it. My slant is a personal one I guess.... but in amongst those personal reasons, is the objective view that the content I'd expect is simply not there in enough abundance.

If you don't want to, don't buy it.

David's not gonna come up and put a gun to your head if you don't.

Obviously not. He'd have to get past Mrs Frag first, and she has much better hair.

No, I wasn't posting this so his Hairness et al would swoop in and lift me on a chair to Atomic heaven. I still love teh atomic, but really, I just don't feel the love any more. Maybe it's just a phase the mag is going through, or one I'm going through.

I mean, it's hard to pick up the mag now and see Atomic.edu - a section I think has about as much validity in Atomic as a feature on religious tolerance in the Middle East - still claiming pages, where the stuff I was doing was boxed up and shipped out to 32 Abyss st. The above by the way is zero reflection on Chris' ability as a writer, but the content itself. Put it in a University newsletter or something .

This.

In fact, I was actually going to write a feedback post at some point about how irrelevant that section must be to most of Atomic's readers, especially given the huge amount of space it consumes. But I decided that it would be an unpopular suggestion just get me in more hot water, and besides, that section is clearly there to give universities somewhere to advertise, and Atomic some revenue from them. So it's not going anywhere.

Anyway, I bought issue 103 on the weekend, so I guess either my feedback has merit because I'm a customer, or irrelevant because .edu didn't stop me from buying it :)

Edited by just_some_guy

I'll admit, I don't buy it as much anymore because to be blunt, I'm not in it anymore ;)

I mean.... that sounds more conceited than it really is, but in the end I was reading the magazine because I was a part of the wheels turning, so I had a vested interest in just about every little corner of the mag, every section, every paragraph.

Maybe a slice of that is bitterness, I suppose. I mean, it's hard to pick up the mag now and see Atomic.edu - a section I think has about as much validity in Atomic as a feature on religious tolerance in the Middle East - still claiming pages, where the stuff I was doing was boxed up and shipped out to 32 Abyss st.

The above by the way is zero reflection on Chris' ability as a writer, but the content itself. Put it in a University newsletter or something .

I don't really buy tech magazines as a rule because I can find everything I need from a multitude of RSS feeds, so maybe I'm not the best person to help you find a reason to keep reading it. My slant is a personal one I guess.... but in amongst those personal reasons, is the objective view that the content I'd expect is simply not there in enough abundance.

i'll see your atomic.edu and raise you a geekette and a FUCKING MOVIE REVIEW.

jesus christ. the absolute putrid shitness of both of these wastes of paper absolutely removed any memory of there being a recovery tutorial and a big iron article - which are big plusses, but not enough to make me want to buy the next one, or the one after if they're going to play second fiddle to such other articles.

at last worms' atomic.edu did fit somehow, but even that should get the axe.

come on david, in one thread you're trying to figure out how to accomodate the wants of the readers wrt Kitlog and how many pages to allocate it, yet you allow pure unadulterated shit like the aforementioned articles (and to a lesser degree, atomic.edu) hog up valuable space that would be put to much better use.

And its no secret that i've long believed that A4E had his tongue firmly lodged in the starfish of whoever was running the show of the day when he would write his "oh atomic, wherefore art thou" drivel, but when he put his mind to something much worthwhile such as tech writing, it was top notch. (at least from what was posted to the site).

Why not put him to good use instead of guaranteeing page time to such worthless endeavours? I'm not saying replace the others permanently, but at least cycle it up based upon who provides the best content.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

Yeah...geekette's as unfunny to me as rectal surgery with a pipe-wrench but some people seem to dig it.

.edu on the other hand...does ANYONE actually read it? I'd be interested to know the answer to that one. It's the one massive slab of the mag I just skip over each and every month.

Movie reviews have been in the mag for a long while now, and they do tend to tap into the more underground tastes of geeks than it could go with (I mean, "Let The Right One In" can hardly be said to have had mainstream media coverage). I'm not saying they're great, but I don't mind them...even if I've read them online for nought the month before (ie. "Transformers II").

Geekette, yeah.

Is it an 'issues for women in IT' page? Or is it an opinion piece on something which just happens to be written by a woman?

If the latter, it's fine. If the former, well, I guess it's not surprising us blokes don't find it that interesting.

I'm happy to go with neither are fine. At least, not in the magazine. Put them as site only content, but not magazine based content when you've got people screaming for more tech content, talented writers sitting on their date when i've no doubt they would accept less for the chance to have their name appear in the mag (its good for the portfolio), and an editor scratching his head over where to pull more space from to appeal to the demands of the masses.

Even though I buy a copy every month (whether out of loyalty to my brick and mortar store or atomic is probably a question for another time) butI'm probably lucky to read between half a dozen to a dozen pages a month and of those half those are the opinion piece/editorial articles (minus the terrible geekette).

The hardware pieces I'll give a quick once over and look for anything interesting, but unless I'm in the market for something in particular I don't really pay them much attention. The same goes for the tutorials, I'll start reading them but unless it's something that really strikes I probably won't finish reading them. They're good but over the years I've probably destroyed that many parts/cases from crazy ideas that it has probably dulled my want to follow through on articles. Although I really should one day do that watercooled beer keg case that I've been planning for years... if it only wasn't for the weight.

Other people here pretty much mirror my sentiments for the rest of the articles although I will add that tech/nerd movie reviews are nice and all, but do you really need them in the magazine? Can't they just be something that is on the website and not taking up space in the magazine?

I find reviews of geek-appeal non-mainstream movies interesting.

(Not things like Transformers or Terminator, that have been reviewed to death long before Atomic arrives.)

So if I had a vote, I'd vote to keep that.

But over genuine content?

Atomic is a tech mag. Keep that kind of thing to the site where it has a much broader appeal and lack of space constraints that means it would appear at the expense of other articles.

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

Atomic shouldn't be reviewing Terminator 4.

It should be penning feature articles that discuss how one could theoretically be assembled and programmed using hardware, software and engineering technologies all here or on the horizon.

But over genuine content?

I was more thinking 'as well as'.

Atomic shouldn't be reviewing Terminator 4. It should be penning feature articles that discuss how one could theoretically be assembled and programmed using hardware, software and engineering technologies all here or on the horizon.

Very very true. Edited by just_some_guy