Fragasaurus

Circling the drain: Why I feel like not buying the mag anymore...

yes. i had something like that in mind when thinking over JSG's thought about geek movies in the mag.

less reviews, more tech behind the movie. tho i do appreciate that stuff would be next to impossible to get direct from the source, but surely someone could research it and knock up an article?

Atomic shouldn't be reviewing Terminator 4.

It should be penning feature articles that discuss how one could theoretically be assembled and programmed using hardware, software and engineering technologies all here or on the horizon.

I like the way this guy thinks. Atomic should hire you to write the article...

But over genuine content?

I was more thinking 'as well as'.

The problem is you have people making requests for extension of features or articles which were being knocked back due to space constraints. therefore this kind of thing would definitely be an "instead of" and not "as well as".

I think the issue is more than just making space for extra tech articles, there needs to be people to write it too. I think it's fair to say that David and Justin are pretty much at capacity where they are now. This would mean that they'd need to hire writers to fill in the voids, which costs money. Unless the current writers Sap and Zara are comfortable with focusing on pure tech instead, if so, that could work. :)

sorry, but why have them in the first place if they're not providing what is really needed? If we've got writers such as A4E here who is better suited to providing such articles that people are after, wouldn't it be better and fairer to put them all on equal footing and have them all contribute to what the core of the magazine is about?

Or what is it that worms or this other zara contributes that makes them worthwhile to the mag over other tech writers? Because if they're not capable of focusing on pure tech, what are they doing there?

Edited by Juggalo Scrub

Dude, Zara is the editor of PCA (Atomic's sister mag), so you would expect a little writer sharing between the two.

I like Geekette, the .edu stuff maybe not so much but I can certainly see the benefit.

I think the issue is more than just making space for extra tech articles, there needs to be people to write it too. I think it's fair to say that David and Justin are pretty much at capacity where they are now. This would mean that they'd need to hire writers to fill in the voids, which costs money.

It's a pity we're not fans of Computer Reseller News. Haymarket has no trouble finding money for writers for that title.

I buy the mag to keep Atomic afloat. Other than that, there's not alot going. Sure, every time I see a new issue is out, I'll run to the store in my thongs and undies to grab it, gasping with delight and turning off everyone around me, but after I've flicked through the entire thing, it DOES get kinda boring.

Atomic could be so much more if it just broadened it's horizons, while still focusing on TECH. Honestly, I get absolutely nothing from Atomic.edu or Geekette and those pages could be put to alot better use than worrying about a nerdy persons love life.

Dude, Zara is the deputy editor of PCA (Atomic's sister mag), so you would expect a little writer sharing between the two.

I like Geekette, the .edu stuff maybe not so much but I can certainly see the benefit.

Fixed :)

I think the issue is more than just making space for extra tech articles, there needs to be people to write it too. I think it's fair to say that David and Justin are pretty much at capacity where they are now. This would mean that they'd need to hire writers to fill in the voids, which costs money.

It's a pity we're not fans of Computer Reseller News. Haymarket has no trouble finding money for writers for that title.

I would assume that each title under Haymarket has a budget which is determined by the readership figures and how much advertising revenue it generates. Considering CRN targets businesses and resellers (where a company can also have multiple subscriptions), I'm not surprised that Haymarket has more money to spend on CRN than it does on Atomic.

The fact remains that Atomic is a niche title, and as cool as niche titles are, they are often the first to be forced to cut their costs in times of economic hardship, as seen by Atomic sourcing content from Custom PC and letting go their well-known freelancers.

Edited by Virul

The fact remains that Atomic is a niche title, and as cool as niche titles are, they are often the first to be forced to cut their costs in times of economic hardship, as seen by Atomic sourcing content from Custom PC and letting go their well-known freelancers.

You're right. Let's all stand back then and be understanding as Haymarket chokes Atomic to death.

.edu = waste of space.

Geekette. Don't know what is achieved here. It's like an article that was included to show they are equal opportunity or something.

Last page = getting tired. The funny isn't there and the content = non-existant.

Movie reviews? WTF! If there was some cool technology behind it or something ground breaking then the review could be thrown in as an 'also' to a relevant article.

Why do I buy? The parts reviews, the game reviews (but f#$k off the console games. It's a PC mag). Also the mod-box type stuff. Of course, the mods are getting pretty lame lately. Very reminiscent of the over-done LEDs + case windows stuff. Remember when they showed you how to mod graphic cards and the like?

AD

I think the issue is more than just making space for extra tech articles, there needs to be people to write it too. I think it's fair to say that David and Justin are pretty much at capacity where they are now. This would mean that they'd need to hire writers to fill in the voids, which costs money. Unless the current writers Sap and Zara are comfortable with focusing on pure tech instead, if so, that could work. :)

I thought Sap and Zara were freelancers, not staff.

And I thought freelancers live or skid on the basis of each submission

also, david is awesome at wearing stylish trenchcoats :)

perfect for hiding large sub machine guns

>_>

Sorry worms, but fuck that atomic.edu off as well.

Yeah I never read the atomic.edu sorry chris its just not that interesting Edited by magnumxy

Dude, Zara is the editor of PCA (Atomic's sister mag), so you would expect a little writer sharing between the two.

I had no idea, but i'm not overly impressed or feel like i should care. If she cant contribute to the tech as has been suggested, what is she doing?

Its nothing personal against the people, its all about the content. Which is lacking, and seems to be a common theme in this thread.

its all about the content. Which is lacking, and seems to be a common theme in this thread.

lolwat?

Or whats wrong with trawling the modding community for exceptional efforts and getting them to write up a worklog for the mag? Give them the equivalent of a POTM prize for their effort and put it in the mag with their name up in lights.

I can immediately think of a few such mods that would be fucking awesome to try out, and wouldn't hurt the mag if they were included (even if with an editors guiding hand).

Surely thats worth more than geekette?