Fragasaurus

Circling the drain: Why I feel like not buying the mag anymore...

Myself, I can't understand why so much print should be devoted to something that's inherently better suited to online content...

I reckon it should just be a basic summary in the mag, with a link to the site for more info and updates.

I'd suggest those folks who enjoy catalogues so much haven't experienced the mag at its most kick-arse.

Edited by Kimmo

NOTE: Read up to about page 6 (with default posts a page)

*Warning long post*

I first met Atomic when a friend of mine handed me issue 75 and said that his sister got this a while ago for free and you may like it. I then got the latest issue of Atomic, 82, I have bought every issue from the newsagent untill I finanly got a sub a couple of months ago. For those who have it, take a look at issue 75. That issue is absolutely packed with tech, tricks, tweaks and more. That issue had me hooked for many more hours than it took to read it.

Page 8-11, tid bits from all over the tech world, letting you know what is happening.

16-34, three articles on tweaking or building

-hardware in between here-

62, I still want to make a mod liek the one on that header

80-81, Culture shock. SHOCK US!

86-95 more tweaking and building

96-97, hotbox - need I say more?

--------------------------------------

As for comments on what has already been written:

>Free writing - I think most people would jump to have something they have written in their free time printed, even without being paid. Most of the time it is posted without being paid anyway; eg three threads of how CPU's work.

>Free writing cont. - Since we doubt that work will always be in on time make a repository of it, many of it may be timeless anyway.

>Atomic.edu - Originally i was excited about this section, of late not so much. I want to learn about the industry, how to get into it, what jobs there are. NOT remembering to brush my teeth before turning up to lectures on time if at all. Personally I am still in year 12, and curretnly am spilt with what i owuld liek to do when I look for a job. One fo those options is hardware, serious hardware the kind of thing you find in an airlocked room in an AMD or Intel lab. Even through my own searching including the AMD website, I have no idea how I would get into that.

> Nostalgia - Revive bits from the past especially exciting bits. (I dont remember who said this but it was in this thread). Even us who where born in 1991 still love to hear about classics from the past. Hell it was only last year that I first played starcraft, YES REALLY!

> movie reviews - get out there more! we are geeks; give us a review of the latest book to come out from The Black Library (Yes still looking at you David :P), review a intersting Machima or great little movie pushing the boundraries

, Lit Fuse Films

>hotbox - I will say it again, see what mods there are out there. A couple of months ago there was a guy building a case from scratch on the forums.

>Chernobyl?- ?? (before my days evidently)

>Big willy - how do you lose something that big?

I know you have a tough job and I still enjoy reading my Atomic. Also I hope i dont come across too strongly or agressively but this thread got me excited.

Edited by argotha

Not the next issue, but the one after that... I thinl you're going to like :)

Anyway, I don't mind the idea of the article repository, and I'll say right now - if you're happy to write for free, for just the glory of your name in your favourite mag, send me something. Now, I'm not promising every article gets in - we still have a standard to uphold - but if the community can provide, I'll publish.

Watch out, David - you'll get them for free, but then spend a heap of time editing and sub-editing them to fit the magazine's style! : p

Well, that's the standards thing... if I have to spend more time than I would editing a normal article, it's not up to scratch :)

Just a thought off the cuff. The mag is 10 years old now, how about a small column about what we were reviewing/looking at 10 years ago, and comparisons on how things have changed from then to now with that particular tech/subject? Could be a smallish column, but would be quite informative and entertaining just how far tech has progressed in that short timeframe...

The good thing about it was its 'hardcoreness'. Ie beyond the superficial, and into the 'how stuff works' aspect of AI programming.

In fact I realised that some 'nethack' type games I wrote way back in my late teens, when games were still only 2D, actually used a version of the behaviour tree techniques being described in that article.

(Not that I could have explained it in that way. I was just making monsters in a dungeon do what monsters in a dungeon would do, in terms of wandering, taking the nearest path to something they heard, attacking anything they came across, etc.)

Just a thought off the cuff. The mag is 10 years old now, how about a small column about what we were reviewing/looking at 10 years ago, and comparisons on how things have changed from then to now with that particular tech/subject? Could be a smallish column, but would be quite informative and entertaining just how far tech has progressed in that short timeframe...

I quite like that idea!

Issue 1 was around the cusp of a CPU breaking 1 gigahertz...we HAVE come rather a long way since then!

I quite like that idea!

Issue 1 was around the cusp of a CPU breaking 1 gigahertz...we HAVE come rather a long way since then!

Already been done.

But it was more a row instead of a column.

Don't know how long ago Atomic dropped the idea....but down the bottom of a few certain pages there'd be a chronological timeline of tech from what it used to be first to what we're dealing with now in terms of storage increases for HDDs, speed increases for CPUs etc etc

I can't explain it any further - I could go through my old mags if I didn't give them away - but I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

Yeah...I remember the time-line.

This sounds more in depth than that though.

Taking a specific piece of tech ie. CPU, HDD, Video card etc and holding it directly up against what we were playing with 10 years ago.

Edited by hectorbustnuts

I honestly don't think it would be of any use other than for nostalgic reasons.

Which is what the timeline was there for, no?

Me "Bought some new wheels for my car today!"

Grandfather "Back in my day we didn't have wheels on our horses!"

Me "Whoop-de-fuckin-do!"

Grandfather "Ahhh, those were the days..."

See....nonsense.

I remember as well Twinair. I was thinking more specifically with regard to articles that appeared in old Atomic issues, and a direct comparison of then and today.

Doesn't even have to be a tech review, it could be a news piece, an opinion piece, etc.

Edit in response to Twinair's next post : Nothing wrong with nostalgia, reminds us where we came from.

Edited by back2future

I'd probably only find it worth reading if it tried to be predictive:

This is what we looked at 10 years ago, this is what we're doing now, perhaps this will be what we can look forward to in 10 years from now.

For a small article, tho', that sounds like a decent chunk of research needed.

Although, it'd maybe be interesting if you got something small - say, single column on a page, if not less - by people working in the industry.

I'd probably only find it worth reading if it tried to be predictive:

This is what we looked at 10 years ago, this is what we're doing now, perhaps this will be what we can look forward to in 10 years from now.

For a small article, tho', that sounds like a decent chunk of research needed.

Although, it'd maybe be interesting if you got something small - say, single column on a page, if not less - by people working in the industry.

I need charts and graphs. Maybe graph the increase of cpu speed/performance or the various versions of 3dmark.

Perhaps even nostalgic with a chip from issue 1 and one from issue 105 and run them bouth against WPrime etc. Might help with the forecasting. Debunk moore's law?

Another thought I had which kind of elaborates what I already said (and is kind of in line with what is being talked about at the moment). It was beign said that many of the readers were getting alot older now, yet there are proabbly many people like me who can apreciate blasts from the past.

Half a page or so looking at an old classic game or movie, like a mini review or such, letting those who are older be nostalgic and those younger A. be aware of where we have come from and B. perhaps find a good old game that we may really enjoy yet may never have seen purely because of the whole age gap.

Issue 105 :) After A4E suggested pretty much that, I had a very illustrious figure contact me to beg for just such a column...

Though also the talk about atomic.edu I think that looking at industry professinals and such that work with corporate computers and such would also help out alot, especially if you are looking to draw teh younger generation.