teffmyster

Best Soundcard!

Heyall,

I kinda need help finding the best soundcard i can get for my system. I dont mind price as long as its not incredibly expensive. But it has to be better then my Striker Extreme SumpremeFX card.

Thnx, Because im kinda lost in the area of Sound.

Teff

Mirror, mirror on the wall, what's the best sound card of them all? Mirror replies, how the hell am i meant to know the answer to that without knowing what speakers/headphones you're running.

If he's planning on getting a suitable set of headphones/speakers then sure, but as terrific as it may be it can't make an average set of speakers sound amazing. If you like the sound of an asus card but are after something more suitable to your current speakers this is an option:

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/27154-xonar-dx

of course when i save up enough im getting bose! lol.... I dont mind other then Asus, just better then what I had.

of course when i save up enough im getting bose! lol....

I hope your kidding right, bose preduced some excellent speakers in the 80's but they are ridiculously over priced and under performing speakers now days. My local mac store has some bose desktop speakers on display, they sound no better than a pair of logitechs but with 2x-3x the price.

Out of interest, when you guys look at specs for sound cards, what do you look for?

The power it can drive (unlikely, because we all use ampflied speakers nowadays) or total harmonic distortion THD, or which numbers are important?

ok which ones better Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe Fatal1ty Pro Series or Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Essence STX - for analogue output

One of the Auzentech's that use the X-Fi chips - for digital/games

now im really wondering which ones better because there are more features on the fetal1ty pro version then the Titanium Pcie verson

Out of interest, when you guys look at specs for sound cards, what do you look for?

The power it can drive (unlikely, because we all use ampflied speakers nowadays) or total harmonic distortion THD, or which numbers are important?

Signal to noise is probably the most important figure to me.

Most distortion figures are pretty good these days but good dynamic range is where it's at.

Check the ASUS Essence card. 124db is fantastic on a consumer card.

Here's the specs since the ASUS site is taking forever to load.

Output Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):

124dB for Front-out,110dB for Headphone-out dB

Input Signal-to-Noise Ratio (A-Weighted):

118 dB

Output THD+N at 1kHz:

0.0003% (-110dB) for Front-out, 0.001% (-100dB) for Headphone-out

Input THD+N at 1kHz:

0.0002% (-113dB) for Line-in

Frequency Response (-3dB, 24-bit/96kHz input):

<10Hz to 90KHz

Output/Input Full-Scale Voltage

2 Vrms (5.65 Vp-p)

Bus Compatibility PCI Express:

-PCI Express Rev. specification compatible

-Compatible with X1, X4, X8, X16 PCI Express slots

Main Chipset Audio Processor:

ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor (Max. 192KHz/24bit)

High Fidelity Headphone Amplifier:

Texas Instruments 6120A2*1 (120dB SNR, 100dB THD+N @ Vcc±12V, RL=600Ω, f=1kHz) 24-bit D-A Converter of Digital Sources:

Texas Instruments PCM1792A*1 for Front-Out (127dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)

24-bit A-D Converter for Analog Inputs:

Cirrus-Logic CS5361* 1 (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)

Sample Rate and Resolution Analog Playback Sample Rate and Resolution:

44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit

Analog Recording Sample Rate and Resolution:

44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit

S/PDIF Digital Output:

44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @ 16/24bit, Dolby Digital

ASIO 2.0 Driver Support:

Supports 44.1K/48K/96K/192KHz @16/24bit with very low latency

Edited by LogicprObe

250 bucks, wow... I dunno because right now im looking at the sound blaster fetal1ty pro or this one... Soundblaster one is around 210 bucks and the asuss is 230+

Edited by teffmyster

Do you want people to suggest a good sound card (which, IIRC, you haven't said what you want to use it for), or just tell you which ones that you're throwing up are better?

I would get this one.

http://www.asus.com.au/products.aspx?l1=25...amp;modelmenu=1

swappable preamps to customise your sound........plus terriffic specs.

Lol, bastards beat me to it! :P

I've been mentally designing a soundcard with an Envy24 chipset, Wolfson DACs, swappable opamp pre-amp stages, and decent output caps.

Question is, with the integrated headphone amp, how do you control volume? If it's limited to software then that's a tad annoying.

Rob.

Signal to noise is probably the most important figure to me.

Most distortion figures are pretty good these days but good dynamic range is where it's at.

That's quite interesting. I'm not an audiophile, but I wonder how perceivable the differences in numbers are.

Do people typically use audio files/content that could take advantage of that large a ratio?

Do people typically use audio files/content that could take advantage of that large a ratio?

Probably not typically but NIN had 96Khz 24 bit downloads as do quite a few others.

edmund - it gives more clarity, realism.......hence more exciting.

Maybe I'm just used to my tinny 12" laptop's speakers. But yeah it kind of makes sense - like better sound in movie theatre. Although I'm quite ok with just regular speakers.