teffmyster

Best Soundcard!

Topic title says 'Best Soundcard'.... check RME Firefaces, Apogee Duet, Metric Halo ULN2 for something good that doesnt cost more than $10,000. Most soundcards under a grand sound pretty much the same, some sound worse than others.

Topic title says 'Best Soundcard'.... check RME Firefaces, Apogee Duet, Metric Halo ULN2 for something good that doesnt cost more than $10,000. Most soundcards under a grand sound pretty much the same, some sound worse than others.

Yeah......I didn't go there.

I just stuck to consumer cards.

ok well more people are saying asus rather then soundblaster so im leaning that way. Do you recon it would be compatible with my motherboard (Striker Extreme).

ASUS Xonar D2X. It looks cooler and has a steeper price.

Other than that, I don't really know what the difference between the two is. I use an onboard :)

Very similar cards, although the essence has the swappable preamps so it's more for heaphone/stereo listening, while the DX2 looks like it's desined for home theatre or gaming.

Depends what you really want to do, I suppose.

D2X is more inclined for general use in gaming/ music but the STX seems to be the Music card if you're into that kind of thing.

There's an echo in here......here..........here..........

........here..........here........

But seriously sorry mate, didnt really look at the posts, just hit the quick reply QQ please dont hit me.

There's an echo in here......here..........here..........

........here..........here........

But seriously sorry mate, didnt really look at the posts, just hit the quick reply QQ please dont hit me.

Only having a joke mate.

At least you were correct in your assertions......imho.

Well, me being an audio nut........am going to get the essence.

It's like the card I designed about 6 years ago, (or whenever the PCI bus came along) but the DSPs are much more advanced these days.

It's like the card I designed about 6 years ago, (or whenever the PCI bus came along) but the DSPs are much more advanced these days.

Ohh'er. Any chance you know of a mob that would fabricate (both etch and assemble) custom PCI cards in quantities of appr. 100?

[edit]: And you realise that 6 years ago was only 2003. 6 years ago we were a few months away from the Prescott P4s, and well and truly in the PCI-bus era :P

Rob.

Edited by robzy

Ok i found the two specification sheets of the two cards. Would anyone mind to decode them for me. I just see a whole amount of numbers and acronyms.

For the D2x here : http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=25&am...amp;modelmenu=2

For the STX here : http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=25&am...amp;modelmenu=2

Based on the specs, which ones better and why (please disregard the headphone thing because i wont be using headphones).

Thx

Teff

Sorry if I've missed this, but what is it you want to do with the sound card?

Apart from have the best one.

Apart from having the best one. I want the best specs so it will last me a long time and not get outdated fast. My supreme fx card screwed up and now I just want a super high quality one that might last me past my next computer.

Apart from having the best one. I want the best specs so it will last me a long time and not get outdated fast.

In that case wait 12 months, there will be much better stuff then.

My supreme fx card screwed up and now I just want a super high quality one that might last me past my next computer.

If that's the case then don't buy a soundcard at all. Each one is just as likely to bugger up as the next one.

What I'm saying is that you're setting unrealistic terms. Choose your sound card based on the application, because I can guarantee you that it will be superseded soon, and that whatever you choose is just as likely to die with no warning as anything else.

Rob.

OMG... I don't see how you guys can be so patient with him :P

The STX is more suited for headphones and stereo speakers, people who listen to music and don't require surround (which it can do through digital).

The D2X is more suited to movies and games where the user is wanting the surround sound experience.

Try looking at it that way. Depending on what you want to use it for will aid you in your decision.

Stop being a nub and use your nog :)

If you're not really into music, then it sounds like the essence is probably overkill.

Depending how much you're into gaming and movies with surround sound - and if you have decent speakers to back that up with, then the other card may be overkill, too.

$200+ is a decent chunk of money to be spending on a soundcard if you won't notice the difference over the onboard sound, or the sound from a much cheaper card.

What I'm saying is that you're setting unrealistic terms. Choose your sound card based on the application, because I can guarantee you that it will be superseded soon, and that whatever you choose is just as likely to die with no warning as anything else.

Rob.

In Audio terms, that's highly unlikely.

That Burr Brown DAC is years old.

In fact, they designed and built it before Texas Instruments bought them out.

(although they are using an updated 'A' version, it's essentially the same chip)

Rob.

In Audio terms, that's highly unlikely.

That Burr Brown DAC is years old.

In fact, they designed and built it before Texas Instruments bought them out.

(although they are using an updated 'A' version, it's essentially the same chip)

Which he is unlikely to care about if he's using $200 analogue-input 6.1 speakers. He would likely be bummed if he got the STX card.

Rob.

Ok look there both the same price and im getting one of them. I just dont no which one has better specs. Although i probably would use the card for gaming and in the future surround.