teffmyster

Best Soundcard!

Although i probably would use the card for gaming and in the future surround.

For surround are you going to want digital or analogue interconnects?

Rob.

What I'm saying is that you're setting unrealistic terms. Choose your sound card based on the application, because I can guarantee you that it will be superseded soon, and that whatever you choose is just as likely to die with no warning as anything else.

Rob.

In Audio terms, that's highly unlikely.

That Burr Brown DAC is years old.

In fact, they designed and built it before Texas Instruments bought them out.

(although they are using an updated 'A' version, it's essentially the same chip)

Which he is unlikely to care about if he's using $200 analogue-input 6.1 speakers. He would likely be bummed if he got the STX card.

Rob.

But not if he's using decent headphones.

But not if he's using decent headphones.

some two hundred doller bono boss speakers, their pretty good.

:P

Rob.

If you just want a good surround card, then that should rule the essence out of the running, no?

Although i probably would use the card for gaming and in the future surround.

For surround are you going to want digital or analogue interconnects?

Rob.

Sorry if i sound a total noob but I dont really know what that means :P

Are you going to plug in 5.1 via 4 analogue connectors, or are you going to connect via a single digital optical/coax cable?

Well im planning to get surround sound in the future and maybe an amplifier..... from what i understand with the DX2 i can get analog surround and with the STX i can get digital surround... But i dont know how it will work with surround and my monitor because i use my monitor to watch foxtel so i plug my stereo speakers in through one hole..... this is what it said on my monitors specs "(Digital/Stereo Audio out support for HDMI) "....

Posted Image

Edited by teffmyster

Ok In the future I want surround... Right now i have stereo speakers hooked up to my computer and my monitor (for foxtel) so i can use a switch box to switch between foxtel and pc.... OK my monitore has a Digital S/PDIF Output I think (you can check the picture on page 3). So i cant get analog surround for my foxtel i would need digital optical cable or whatever its called (correct me if any of this is wrong btw) to do digital surround to my pc and my monitor. So I dont know which Sound card would be better for that.

I know its confusing, just bear with me please lol.

Teff

Correct. SPDIF is digital, but not optical.

SPDIF can be optical.

Or rather, both coaxial and optical are capable of carrying an SPDIF signal.

Rob.

are you going to connect via a single digital optical/coax cable?

This is the only way to do it..... Because of my monitor and foxtel i would need to do optical digital.

teffmyster: Describe to us the exact setup you are wanting.

Or, better yet, just go the D2X. There is no reason to limit yourself with the STX.

Rob.

OK, Im thinking a 5.1 Surround sound speaker setup which will go by Digital Optical cable from the speakers to an amplifier. From the amplifier i will have two optical cables going to my monitor and to my soundcard so i can switch between foxtel sound and pc sound. Can this work?

Well im planning to get surround sound in the future and maybe an amplifier..... from what i understand with the DX2 i can get analog surround and with the STX i can get digital surround... But i dont know how it will work with surround and my monitor because i use my monitor to watch foxtel so i plug my stereo speakers in through one hole..... this is what it said on my monitors specs "(Digital/Stereo Audio out support for HDMI) "....

Posted Image

Put the link up for the monitor specs.

I think you're talking about HDMI which is different again.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/detail/...&fullspec=F

No im not talking about hdmi... i have hdmi plugged through my foxtel to my monitor and with my current stereo speakers which i have right now. But im throwing them out soon and getting an amplifier and proper surround but i need a good soundcard (STX or D2X) for my pcs sound. And i would have to use optical to get the sound to my monitor because thats the plug 3rd from the right.

Edited by teffmyster

I don't understand why you're routing the sound from the PC to external whatever, via your monitor.

I don't understand why you're routing the sound from the PC to external whatever, via your monitor.

+1

BTW. If you want to invest in a good pair of headphones I would highly recommend these.