Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
atomidude

The Android OS comes to the PC

"A couple of blokes have recompiled the OS so it's capable of running on a common x86 platform. This is just in time to see what Android is really like, before Acer, Asus, MSI and others officially release their netbooks with the operating system preloaded on them.

The PC version has been ported from an Asustek EeePC 701 netbook running Android. As with every other try-before-you-buy LiveCD, you simply download the ISO file, burn it onto a CD or DVD, and then boot with the disc.

With a LiveCD, there's no need to install the OS, so you can test-drive the software without writing it to your system's hard disk. The LiveCD can also run under virtualisation such as VirtualBox or VMware or the other thing by the Vole.

You can grab the Liveandroid version 0.2 from Google."

source: www.theinquirer.net

I will download the iso and play with Android a bit later on. Anyone done it already?

I've had android running in Virtualbox for quite a while now, it was pretty useless though :P I'd imagine that this is a proper made-for-PC version, looking forward to giving it a spin.

Rob.

But.. why?

Don't get me wrong, Android is pretty sexy. But it's built for mobiles not for PC's. The UI and it's features aren't really suited for a notebook, except perhaps a 701, and only if it gives you killer battery life and instant-on tech.

If the apps written for Android work, it'll also be a plus I guess: a nice secure way to run apps without breaking things...

Downloaded it and gave it a shot in VirtualBox, much nicer than the prebuilt image I had going, actually supports a mouse and all that jazz :P

I definitely agree with you there Girvo, Linux+XFCE (for example) is surely more suited to netbooks.

Rob.

I think Moblin might be a better option in the netbook space.

Can't really see much point in android on anything bigger than a N810 or phone myself.

Well, I would use it just to check Android out before buying a $900 phone :) You know, let's say you are interested in certain applications written for Android phones, it is quite useful to test them before you jump and buy that Hero thing.

I agree, it will take quite a while until Android is a serious contender on netbooks.

Edited by atomidude

The major reason for this is probably to have access to the app store. Now that it is actually running, tweaking the interface to be more suitable is the next step. I don't think it is intended to be used as a replacement desktop OS, but it may have it's uses on netbooks or older laptops..

I don't think it is intended to be used as a replacement desktop OS, but it may have it's uses on netbooks or older laptops..

I do wonder if it would be worthwhile to tweak Android to be useful on netbooks and older laptops when compared with options such as Xubuntu.

Perhaps even less worthwhile as Chrome is lurking in the distance.

Rob.

That's cool but what's a point of an OS designed for a small screen and few resources on a full PC which doesn't need the resource skimping.