just_some_guy

With V7 imminent, even MS can now admit Vista's flaws

In fact, check this out from a year ago...

"Microsoft is now acknowledging it screwed up with its initial launch of Windows Vista, and is ready to try again.

"We broke a lot of things. We know that, and we know it caused you a lot of pain. It got customers thinking, hey, is Windows Vista a generation we want to get invested in?" So Brad Brooks, Microsoft's VP of Windows Vista consumer marketing, fessed up publicly this week.

Speaking at a keynote address at Microsoft's annual Worldwide Partner Conference, Brooks signified that Microsoft was ready to admit mistakes and reposition itself to tell a better story about Windows Vista, to counter attacks by rival Apple and let customers know that Vista is finally stable and ready."

Edited by just_some_guy

Wow.

Talk about taking an agenda and running with it.

Edited by Nich...

I think it should be pretty clear that an admission of a launch failure, having to cut back features initially planned/promised and acknowledging the lack of coordination and subsequently available drivers is not an admission of multiple innate flaws in the OS. Having said that, I'm bowing out of this one....

I still haven't found any flaws in vista. The only real problems people had with it were at launch, and if I remember correctly xp was the same.

I also remember having a lot more compatibility problems after I upgraded to xp.

I think you are just hearing what you want to hear, to an extent....

LOL.

I hear direct quotes from Microsoft executives and channel partners, quoted verbatim.

What you do you hear?

Edited by just_some_guy

I think you are just hearing what you want to hear, to an extent....

LOL.

I hear direct quotes from Microsoft executives and channel partners, quoted verbatim.

What you do you hear?

I see things taken slightly out of context.

True, Vista was not as good as Microsoft had hoped it would be, and nor was it as good as consumers had hoped for.

But the truth of the matter is that many people are quite happy with Vista now that it has had a few updates, and most of the issues are resolved.

I personally prefer to use XP, but that doesn't mean I hate Vista. I currently have it dual booted with XP, but as everything is where I want it to be in XP that is what I use.

And your quotes from Microsoft execs and channel partners are not verbatim... They are out of context. You are highlighting exactly what you want to see, but not taking in the full story.

We all know Vista isn't the OS of choice for everyone, but neither is XP.

Don't they generally bad mouth previous releases when they're about to release a new one to make people want the new one?

It is a part of marketing. They will want vista users to think that there is a reason to upgrade to Win7.

But the truth of the matter is that many people are quite happy with Vista now that it has had a few updates, and most of the issues are resolved.

I didn't say anything about people's low standards for OS happiness, nor whether 'most' of the issues are resolved. I posted news reports, which included direct quotes from MS execs, and links to the full articles.

your quotes from Microsoft execs and channel partners are not verbatim... They are out of context.

They are verbatim, as reported in the news reports. And I provided links to the full reports. So they are entirely in context, as anyone who reads the articles can plainly see.

Don't they generally bad mouth previous releases when they're about to release a new one to make people want the new one?

Do they? I don't know. I just think it's interesting that diehard fans of Vista will even disagree with MS about the facts of Vista. Edited by just_some_guy

Oh please...what a con. I've gone through the history of releases somewhere else a while ago and every second release on average is a crock of shit. My conspiracy theory involved it being a deliberate marketing ploy so that M$ could get a mass of users running from every second OS to the shiny new one and generate extra revenue. Its either a clever (albeit evil) plot like that or everyone's going to accept that M$ is retarded after so many year's experience and accidentally released a pile of puke.

FTR...Win 7 (by the RC and Beta) = tick, Vista = X, XP = tick, ME = X, Win 98B = tick, Win98 = X, Win95 B/C = tick, Win95A = steaming dog turd. Just like magic.

It is a slightly worrying development cycle, but it would cost them to do that wouldn't it? Reports are saying that many businesses are wanting to skip this OS due to the already hefty outlay for Vista (for those who did pay out for it).

I'd say they are onto a winner IMO, I know they are making a good impression in the beta and are doing well but will their product be sucessful because of all this chaos with the short life of vista?

XP was pretty bad before it had a SP or two. Easy to gloss over now, so many years later.

PS, I've never used Vista, and am not a fan of it (having avoided putting it on machines I've built for other people), and yet it still reads to me like you're using quotes from MS as a means to an end, JSG o.0

XP certainly improved but I must say the difference between using XP from the first release and Vista from the first release is a grand canyon. XP swiftly improved where Vista is still broken on my computer.

Microsoft should be treated the same way as an other "manufacturer" when it comes to Windows. If I purchased a car as poorly designed for its purpose as Vista is I'd expect to get a replacement car or repairs or a refund if it was bad enough. Just because an OS isn't something I can touch or drive around in it seems to be protected by magiks. Bollocks! It would be nice to see a bunch of crazed users going them in court for a change. Then they'd get their act together!!

There was a class action lawsuit against vista. It failed, because it was based on unsubstantiated claims.

XP certainly improved but I must say the difference between using XP from the first release and Vista from the first release is a grand canyon. XP swiftly improved where Vista is still broken on my computer.

It took 3 years for service pack 2 for XP to come out and it really needed it, XP RTM and XP SP1/1a were both pretty ordinary. But it doesn't bother me much I'm just as happy to try and fix any issues I have or find workarounds as bitch about it. *shrug*

It took 3 years for service pack 2 for XP to come out and it really needed it, XP RTM and XP SP1/1a were both pretty ordinary. But it doesn't bother me much I'm just as happy to try and fix any issues I have or find workarounds as bitch about it. *shrug*

...and would you do the same if you purchased a brand new car? I know what you mean - I have been creating workarounds for Windows and particularly that steaming piece of pure evil Access for years. We don't do that with anything else we buy so why should we with something which earns M$ more than a small country's entire GDP every year? Its just always seemed completely unjust to me but then I always seem to be at odds with general opinion on this.

Didn't hear about the combined suit. I guess it would be hard to get enough people together who had kept a diary of the time which had been stolen from them by their incapable OS or Office.

Linkage

Much of those things listed were about the 'Vista Capable' sticker. Something Microsoft has regretted doing, but the evil behind this... Intel, because their GPU's at that time couldn't run aero, or other components of Vista. Intel had invested billions only to find out that their tech was useless... and so Microsoft caved into their hassling. The wrong was Intel's, the shame became Microsoft's, and it clings to them still like stains on a mattress. But now Windows 7 has by their forsight been released to many and all to make sure that not only is Windows 7 stable, but that there cannot be any excuse or blame on them when it comes to incompatibilities or crashes.

BTW, my vista install is running fast, fit, and fabulous. I love it.

Rock on Microsoft.

Hey JSG, it think it's time you had a new shirt!

EDIT: Link

Edited by SceptreCore

Wow, this is a religious war. This almost goes back to what is the best way to backup? Tape or Disk?

There will always be fundamentalists in both camps and in most cases, they are both correct, as they are correct for different reasons and take the original question slightly different.

In this case, is Microsoft the bad Vendor? Should we all show our cards and pledge our allegiance to our chosen OS?

I love Vista. It is stable and works well. I also have a few Linux servers, an Apple Mac at home for my wife and am a fan of the iPhone. Am I unusual?

Sure we can choose to run other OS's, choice is good. All OS's have flaws. What is up for debate here is - did Microsoft admit the OS was bad ?

No. They have not and will not admit it was bad because it was not bad. There relationship with the Partners, hardware and strategic was wrong. Why will Win7 be better ?

They learnt from their communication flaws of the past.

I have been in many meetings at Redmond where Vista and it's uptake was discussed. The decision was to bring out an operating system with the smallest attack surface as possible.

The decision was to cut away from backwards compatibility and march forward with the honest goal of making Vista a safe environment.

I personally think Vista is awesome. I think the OS itself was a valuable addition to the Ranks of Windows. (I hated Windows Me).

I think Microsoft had to make some unpopular decisions and in the end, maybe their timing was off, but I feel deep down we all had to change and Vista was the right call.

My 2 cents (Maybe this is more like 50c)

It's easy enough for M$ to say they've learnt their lesson with the release of Vista, thing is we won't find out until at least the OS after Win7 or when they significantly redo the base code enough to make it a big change like Vista is from XP.

Only then will we see if they've really learnt. Win7 is just Vista that's been patched up with some more features. Like XP is to Win2k.

edit: gRaMmaR

Edited by mark84

Win7 is just Vista that's been patched up with some more features. Like XP is to Win2k.

Yes.

But they STILL aren't going to deliver many of the actually useful things they originally promised for Vista, like the relational file system.

Edited by just_some_guy

Are they still promising those things?

In November 2006, Steve Ballmer said in an interview that WinFS was being actively developed but integration into the Windows codebase would come only after the technology had "fully incubated".

If we're lucky some other company will develop a relationship database overlay over a Windows file system, so that Microsoft might finally find the motivation to finish what they first promised in 2002.

I hear we'd all have quantum computers by now. Can I blame MS too? :