Sign in to follow this  
Nich...

[forked] Stagnation in the tech forums

From here

Specifically referring to @~'s second point, and the segregation of sections:

What I think may be an ideal way to handle it, is to not have such specific sub-categories. But to embrace 'tagging', and associated filtering. The problem being, I doubt IPB supports something like that.

An example is, say, the way that whingepool handles it. eg http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=14

It's a sub-forum all about Bigpond, and thus by default you can see everything in there. But you can also flick the filter if you only want stuff specific to, say, cable, or ADSL

Ideally, when someone makes a new post, they can tick from a pre-defined list of terms to categorise it. Is it hardware or software? Is it related to applications or the OS? Troubleshooting some RAM, PSU, or email client? Audio hardware as in soundcards, speakers, or instruments? etc

Of course, that kind of relies on users knowing how to tag their threads so the people who are interested in certain areas will easily find them.

I'm curious on what can be done about the 'issue' of stagnation in the tech forums, without it being lost in the middle of another topic.

Part of the problem seems to be that there are so many sub-forums that are quite specific (although some people find them not specific enough). Another part seems to be that it's just so much effort to go and check every single sub-forum in case you stumble across something interesting. Yet another issue is that, sometimes, you have a thread that covers the ideas of multiple sub-forums, and yet you have to pick only one to post it in - and because of the other issues, lose access to some people who might be able to help/contribute.

As was pointed out in the other thread, sometimes you only stumble across these things because they were cross posted, or simply started in the wrong place and subsequently moved.

I expect that IPB can't actually do meta-data handling like suggested above, or even basic filtering like whingepool does. But is there any way, via plugin, hack or otherwise, to somehow create a collation view? It doesn't even have to be a real sub-forum. It just has to act as an aggregator, sort of like the 'Atomic Articles' section. Even if it's just a pointer, like when threads are moved.

Edited by Nich...

We might be able to do something similar to the News forum, but the truth is only one or two people have really asked for this functionality.

David: Well, not everyone can be a genius, enlightening everyone around them.

I sure as hell amn't!

I guess it comes down to how much of someone's time it'd take to implement. I'd probably be inclined to use it at least once a day, if only because it saves me having to visit ~5 sub-forums individually.

Edited by Nich...

Have some Sub-editors and/or sub-moderators in some of the areas who are experts in the subject i.e. morris for console gaming, who could help keep things circulating and bubbling. They could also help with identifying news items that could go front page...</end random brain dump>