Sign in to follow this  
Gir

*Star Ratings*

I've noticed that when trying to increase the number of stars for other Atomicans in their profile rating, it remains unchanged.

I assumed that you automatically receive the full five once someone grants you such esteem, and that it didn't fluctuate as an average of other people's rating against you.

Is there a limit? Does the number of stars given run out towards the back of the line?

Was it a case of first in, first serve or am I missing something completely?

It might be popularised vanity, but there are folks around these parts I'd really appreciate giving a high five.

Muchos gracias.

I would assume it's an average, and if enough people have already cast votes, then a single vote of 5 may not be sufficient to bump them up to the next level.

Yeah, I thought it was an average too. Was just trying to give Smadge 5 stars and it remains at 4.

The people who deserve 5 stars maybe can have a glowing testimonial in their comments box instead?

I seem to have five. Given that all of a dozen people have visited my page, that doesn't seem to be a very meaningful figure.

Perhaps if the star rating also showed how many votes had been collected? Then you'd know if it was one great vote with no opposition, or a thousand votes for dickwad.

It's an average.

My rating, for instance, is a result of a few people giving me 1 star, and a few people seeing that and rating it higher.

That's why your single vote may not change someone elses rating, however your vote plus someone elses vote (if they're both higher or lower than the current value) may change it.