Sign in to follow this  
Oracle X

ZOMG! It's C&C4!

You may have heard about this already but details of C&C4 have already been released but it won't be the Command and Conquerer we know and love, this will be a very different kind of animal, and quite a few fans will be upset.

Earth were on the verge of being overrun by Tiberium after the defeat of the Scrin, however, Kane proposed an alliance between the NOD and the GDI which managed to stabilize the planet. Fast forward a decade or so, the alliance is fracturing and Kane finally reviews his ultimate motive and war begins anew.

Everything will be revealed, Kane's origin, who he is and what he wants with Tiberium.

Now here's what makes this game different to previous C&C games:

1) NO MORE BASE-BUILDING! That's right. Everything will be created by a giant walking robot ala Supreme Commander.

2) In multiplayer, if you die, you will respawn back during the same round.

3) The FMV will be serious and gritty. Not the cheezy celeb cameo show that we've watched and loved.

4) You earn XP as you play, unlocking weapons and powers not unlike in COD multiplayer.

Basically it's like Supreme Commander married World In Conflict and had a kid in the C&C universe.

Will it pay off? Only time will tell. :-)

http://www.commandandconquer.com/cnc4/index.html

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_new...tml?id=062309_3

Play in the first RTS game with MMORPG like player progression in which you are rewarded every time you play. Every unit you kill in single player, multiplayer, or skirmish gives you experience points that allows you to level up your abilities and unlock new units, powers, and upgrades to your arsenal.

Introducing the first mobile base in RTS games: The Crawler. Focus on the action as the Crawler becomes your all-in-one base, which can be deployed and redeployed anywhere on the battlefield for even more strategic options

Play with all new, bigger and badder, units from GDI and Nod, including the Crawler, the first ever mobile base in RTS games

Dive into an all-new story written by a new scriptwriting team and told through trademark C&C cinematics taken to the next level with grittier, stylized FMVs in the vein of Minority Report.

Play in the first ever class-based C&C game – a new challenge for C&C and RTS players to master

Play the campaign on your own or tackle it with a friend, as co-operative campaigns return

Play in epic 5 vs 5 online multiplayer with all new objective-based game modes

And yes, this IS the final C&C4 game. O_O

Edited by Oracle X

So, in other words, they're getting rid of all the things that we enjoy about C&C, and replacing them with things out of a game many of us didn't particularly enjoy.

Well that sound REALLY SENSIBLE to me. It has Great Moment in Games Publishing written all over it.

LOL 5v5... can you imagine how laggy it would be? I remember 4v4 lag when me Frunj and Fat bodybuilder used to play number 3 online would get down to like 5fps sometimes lol.

So, in other words, they're getting rid of all the things that we enjoy about C&C, and replacing them with things out of a game many of us didn't particularly enjoy.

Well that sound REALLY SENSIBLE to me. It has Great Moment in Games Publishing written all over it.

If you are talking about SC its 10 times the RTS C&C could ever be.

Edited by nesquick

Yeah, SC is probably my favourite RTS just because of the depth and strategy involved, unlike C&C where you just build as many guys as you can and attack the power generators.

I love both but There really is no contest between them over which one is the better RTS.

It'll be the final C&C with the current story line / plot.

I did a survey for this a few weeks back and is seemed to hint that after this they'll "reboot" C&C with a new story and plot etc.

Could mean a slightly different parallel universe like C&C:RA is. Not sure.

Either way, no base building makes me sad.

I like C&C for what it is, not what other RTSs are.

I liked C&C for what it was, rather than what it has been for the last 5 or 10 years.

hmmm, interesting. The more I hear about C&C4, the more it sounds like they're moving away from their lineage (first the lack of multiplayer, the online play, and now these new features). Obviously without seeing or playing the game, I can't say if this feels like a good or a bad move - it's just different. It feels odd, but the news is still new, maybe it'll play ok.

Still, at a first glance, it doesn't sound like the traditional C&C universe we're come to be familiar with. Interested to see how the Crawler is implemented, in that it could add an extra element to the game (although how is it practically different to loading up a Chinook and crapping out a second dozer on the other side of the map?) or it could baby it down (if it's implemented as less of a strategic element and more of a brute-force, 88-base 'strategy').

Yeah, SC is probably my favourite RTS just because of the depth and strategy involved, unlike C&C where you just build as many guys as you can and attack the power generators.

lol It sounds so simple to say, yet it's so... true :-)

I like C&C for what it is, not what other RTSs are.

Yeah, I have to agree with this :-)

I don't think C&C is necessarily the best definition or example of an RTS, but for me, that's part of the charm :-) Yes, it's simplistic and cheesy, but that's C&C! :-)

It seems I spend half my time commenting on this hype campaign saying, "it's early days yet, I'll wait and see how things pan out" :-p

I wonder if the crawler will be like the mobile war factory on SC.

It's everything. It builds defensive structures and and units, but can only do one thing at a time. It can also attack and do research. It can be offensive specced or defensive specced depending on your upgrades. If it dies, it will respawn at the nearest strategic point you control.

I don't think C&C is necessarily the best definition or example of an RTS, but for me, that's part of the charm :-) Yes, it's simplistic and cheesy, but that's C&C! :-)

EXACTLY!

Hey all posting from my iphone Internet is shit it self over the limit, anyway I have been a Cnc fan up to ra2 the rest just felt like puss impurities if u will... I am hoping this one will be good makes me sad to see EA take a good series down since Westwood died.There isn't much to say as any old skool players know the hours of fun this universe provided shall wait and see.

Oh my beautiful C&C what have they done to you? They remove your LAN play and now they want to make you into something you're not with RTT concepts? Not to say that this is a bad thing, RTS is a genre of evolution not revolution but this seems a bit much for a C&C game which has been a manstay of RTS for its gradual change in gameplay elements but holding to core precepts if possible. The fans as it has been said, like it that way and judging it by the standards of another RTS is not a fair comparison at all.

I have enjoyed every C&C and spinoff that has been created, I played them all throughly but the universe has been going in a direction with C&C3 that made myself and a lot of fans look happy for a continuation but what universe was it becoming? Now these announcements we are all looking at each other nervously while C&C4 runs around on the floor spinning in circles ala Homer Simpson. It is still all a matter of waiting and seeing what ceoncepts will be changed as the development moves on but perhaps its time to let the universe it is currently in finish up and work on something else.

I wouldn't object to a rebooting of the series but what shape that would take all depends. It seems that RTT's are the flavour of the day and the mechanics of a lot of the old school franchises are not really compatible with these concepts which means the gameplay we came to appreciate C&C for (although many argue is outdated and needs to die a slow, agonising death) may be gone at least in the short term so they can attract a new audience rather than please a shrinking fanbase.

At least RA3 is plenty kooky, retro RTS. Hopefully they got enough sales to keep the franchise going as it is. Warbears... ehehehe

Edit: Spelling... dammit

Edited by Rion

I can imagine how the Crawler will work somewhat.., probably not unlike the mobile war factory, just with the ability to create many items and attack. It seems like an odd option however, as does the storyline developments. Ultimately, I think they can change quite a lot in the execution, and still remain faithful to the feel of the game. In the worst case scenario, even if it fails, it won't be as bad a design decision as making the next Max Payne game set in sunny Brazil.

There also seems to be quite a bit of confusion in this thread, mistaking SC as having levels of depth and strategy lacking in the C&C games.

This is what I think is happening.

EA is feeling the pressure on the RTS front from the continuingly evolving games the other developers are pumping out. C&C is very old fashioned compared to the new offerings and I think EA wants to move away from that. So they want to start testing new concepts, hopefully for a new franchise, and what better way to do it than making the last C&C game the testing ground.

1) they will be guaranteed a sizable player based because of the C&C fanbase

2) last game in the franchise means even if it fails, it won't impact the next franchise

3) it's a guaranteed sale

One thing I really disliked, was the RA universe and C&C universe become so far separated. They were originally far more in line with each other, and it would be nice to see them somehow tied together again if the franchise is to end.

LOL 5v5... can you imagine how laggy it would be? I remember 4v4 lag when me Frunj and Fat bodybuilder used to play number 3 online would get down to like 5fps sometimes lol.

Those were the days ay..

This shall prove interesting, none-the-less.

Those were the days ay..

This shall prove interesting, none-the-less.

I am still up for some venom spam anytime :P

they might as well try something different C&C has been shite for a long time CnC RA was the last good game from the CnC series.

The whole idea of parodying itself in the cut scenes was retarded so they might as well change that too.

Cos they want to finish the series while not looking like they're flogging a dead horse?

Dead horse in terms of gameplay. :-P

To be honest anyone who thinks Red Alert 2, C&C 3 and Red Alert 3 are good should not call themselves a fan of RTS.

I loved the first red alert, I remember tesla coils and engineer rushes were all the rage, but something about red alert 2 onwards just seems corny and like a kiddies game with these dodgy actors with tits popping out of their tops, I mean I appreciate that ( I am only human of course lol) but it would make the game more believable if I was focused on the actors face not her tits :P (red alert 3 is a good example of this)

as for gameplay all you need to do as russians for example is build about 10 kirov airships and just send them randomly across your enemies base, seriously just obliterates anything under them which seems cheap, mirage tanks are probably the same in a big group.

Edited by nesquick