Mac Dude

A Wii bit of advice.

So the plan is to get a Wii for the billy lids, and the missus want's WiiFit as well.

I know less than nothing about this console, so I'm looking for advice on "must have" accessories, as well as "must avoid" waste of monies. The first thing that came to mind is a second controller.

Oh, and it will mainly be used for FPS and sport stuff.

Thanks!

We have one. We have the wii fit too.

It gets plenty of use.

A great time had by all :)

Not sure what to recommend and what not to. We have most accessories and they seem all essential to a great time ;)

wii fit is great. you can also get stands for the balance board (to make the step ups a bit harder) and 1kg dumbbells for the controllers.

be prepared to buy extra controller AND nunchucks.

There are a lot of cheap party games out there. They are cheap because they're not fantastic. Doesn't mean they're not good for a bit of fun, but you will most likely tire of them fairly quickly.

Get a "docking station" that will allow you to charge up your wii-motes (should also come with rechargeable batteries). Also get the rechargeable battery kit for the balance board (charges via a usb cable to the wii).

Most importantly - buy most of the accessories while they're on sale. We bought most of ours while eb had a 2 for 1 or a 50% off sale (happens every couple of months).

As for must have games, its down to what you like playing. Tho keep in mind that some games make you waggle the controls like a retard. Mario Kart is great fun tho :)

Must have accessories:

* Extra remote. At least one extra one. That way you can have two player fun. The Wii supports up to 4 controllers

* Recharge dock: As Juggs said, the docks will support two controllers. This way you don't have to worry about batteries dying while playing.

* Extra nunchuk: One extra is enough. This way you can play some Wii Boxing (on Wii Sports) since this needs nunchuks.

Those should do for now.

Wii fit is fun. Have it at work for $99 at the moment.

thanks guys!

The Wii Fit @JB is the cheapest we have seen anywhere so we might pick that up. Sounds like the battery situation needs a bit more of an investigation. I don't want to run out of juice while I'm beating the kids at something :D

Down the line, if you end up liking Wii Sports (the standardly included one), get the Motion Plus with the Sports Resort. It's pretty much exactly the same type of deal but about 10 times better.

Buy a 360 instead ;)

Trolling aside: you won't find much fps joy on the Wii. It'll keep the kids happy, but it's a desolate wasteland for older gamers.

Edited by The End

Buy a 360 instead ;)

Trolling aside: you won't find much fps joy on the Wii. It'll keep the kids happy, but it's a desolate wasteland for older gamers.

I haven'y used my wii since I bought a 360 again, weird since I orginally sold my last 360 to buy a wii. Only used the wii fit for a couple of weeks found it kinda pointless. But then I go to the gym a fair bit so maybe thats why. I've thought about selling but I'm really just holding on to it 'cos a few more Mario games have been anounced and knowing my luck something I really want will come out on it and I'll just want to buy one again.

If you're in to the platformers or VC games buy a classic controller or two.

Also my futuronics rechargers didn't last that long so I just bought a eneloop battery recharger and a decent amount of batteries, on the upside it works for the 360 controllers too. :)

Edited by 80proof

My Playmax charging dock has been working for the last 1.5 years.

I haven't been using my Wii much lately because a workmate has borrowed both Wii Fit and House of the Dead Overkill. When I get them back, I'll be playing them again. At the moment it's PS3 because I'm getting lots of Blu-ray movies

oh yeah, totally forgot about HOTD overkill.

Tho definitely not one for the kiddies.

It's one game I always recommend to adults when they want a game that's not for the kids.

What always sells the game is when I tell them that HOTD Overkill has the Guiness World Record for the most swearing in a video game. 189 F words if I remember correctly.

Buy a 360 instead ;)

lol.

Well the 360 will be the one console we don't have - we already have a PS3. The reason for the Wii is that it seems to work better when you have a bunch of people and can have fun playing the sport stuff. Looks like we will stick to the PS3 for fps then...

For some reason I missed the whole FPS comment in the OP.

Yeah as The_End pointed out, there's no awesome FPS. There's a couple that are okay (The Conduit, Metroid Prime Corruption etc) but stick with sports, minigames and on-rails shooters (eg House of the Dead or Ghost Squad) for the Wii.

I bought the House of the Dead Overkill: Bang Bang Box which contains the game and two guns (remotes not included). Worth it for the guns. Of the 9 different gun moulds I've got, the HOTD ones are the best in terms of weight, size and usability. It's one of only 3 where the trigger actually uses the B button under the remove (all the other gun moulds use the nunchuk buttons, yet no shooter supports that). It's on special at work for $74 with the guns.

Get into GAME ASAP, they've had a 2/3 for 50 sale thing on for awhile now, been selling off all kinds of peripherals for consoles like the Wii.

Avoid: any kind of sports-themed attachment (tennis raquet, baseball bat, fishing rod etc)

+1 for rechargeable battery packs with charging dock. Ours have worked for a couple years now.

Edited by thesorehead

+1 thesorehead

I don't get the point of the sports-themed attachments. Totally unnecessary.

Hector recommended the EA Sports Active or whatever it's called, over Wii Fit, if actually serious fitness is the goal... a lot of Wii Fit is fun stuff (I really can't see much benefit from the balance stuff, whereas the muscle and yoga and aerobics stuff is not bad), though the upcoming Wii Fit Plus appears to address a lot of the shortcomings of Wii Fit.

I've heard Conduit is a very good FPS for Wii, and another +1 for HotD, it's awesome. Great fun, hilarious, brilliant style, and (as long as you like fun FPS titles - who doesn't??) plenty of replay value.

Wii Sports Resort (the new one, with the MotionPlus attachment - 1 comes in the box, others are ~$27 at JB) is excellent, much better than Wii Sports. Hector stayed over for the Meet and seemed quite enamoured of it, and 12 sports compared to the previous... 5? 6?... makes a big difference (2 of the sports are the same, bowling and golf, just much improved over the non-MotionPlus-enhanced previous title), and each of the sports has about 3 different sub-types, many of which have unlockable arenas etc etc... tons more to do.

I'll also add recommendations for my other favourite Wii titles...

* 'Super Mario Galaxy' (brilliant 3D platformer, though that name really ceases to be applicable in such a massive 3D environment);

* 'Okami' (stunningly beautiful water-colour Japanese-style game where you play the lupine embodiment of a god restoring life to a world darkened by evil);

* 'De Blob' (Australian made title with more colour restoration ha... surprisingly fun to bounce around splashing colour back into a world rendered black and white by - you guessed it - evil); and

* 'Deady Creatures' (not too far through it yet, but who the hell doesn't get a kick of playing a tarantula or a scorpion scuttling around the place, picking up clues to a greater mystery overheard through cracks in the ground, spoken by none other than Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hopper?!)

Not to mention any of the 'Lego' titles (Star Wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, and - soon - Harry Potter) - awesome fun, great for kids, and countless hours worth of replay value to get every little collectible possible.

For wifey and I we have 2 remotes (now with motionplus) and 2 nunchuk attachments... and the 2 big bang guns that came with HotD. My bro-in-law brings his remotes for 3-4 player stuff (though the new Wii Sports Resort and some other titles allow you to share 2 remotes between 3 or more players, which helps) but you may obviously end up wanting 4 remotes + nunchuck to cover all kids, visitors etc

Edited by thylacine

Yep. If it's actual fitness you're after, "EA Active" is the way to go.

If you've got a Wiifit balance board, it modifies certain exercises to utilise it also. Actually sets out a training program for you for 30 days, with a whole bunch of circuit reps of resistance band training and running and lunging and all the usual suspects.

"Conduit" is a great fun FPS. Didn't get a chance to play multi-player with it but someone...can't remember who, said it's really good.

"House of the Dead: Overkill" is a blast...I don't play it much any more cause the missus kicks my arse.

And the usual Mario titles are all great too (Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Kart).

For FPS I'd suggest The Conduit and Metroid Prime

For Other Great Games I'd suggest Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart and Boom Blox

Buy a 360 instead ;)

Trolling aside

+1

I don't find it trolling, its a great suggestion mate ;)

If anything over the Wii I agree that kids will find the 360 to be more enjoyable seems though its into the new gaming era.

I guess if you have just kids, I suppose the Wii is the better choice but I would also recommend the Xbox360 :)

woa! Some great advice there.

The reason why they are looking at a Wii rather than a 360 is for the sports and fitness games in conjunction with the controller. The Wii seems a more "social" console than the PS3(which we already have) or 360.

On the sports controller surrounds, I never understood why anyone would buy them :)

Thanks everyone for the comments, been VERY helpful!

Edited by Mac Dude

Well, the Wii is pretty much designed for casual/party gamers in mind.

Pretty much what everyone said before is a damn necessity. No More Heroes is also a good one if you don't mind the grinding in the game. Swearing and randomness all in one with the usual killing added on.