Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
reign180

Which OS?

Hi guys,

I've just bought a new system with:

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz

Gigabyte EP45-DSP

8gb Corsair XMS2 DDRII 800mhz

Now I've been using XP for ages and I'm not sure which operating system will utilise the 8gb RAM (or even recognise it).

I think my options are:

Win XP 64bit

Win Vista 64bit

OSX Leapard 64bit

My main concern is beng able to run my most important software... Adobe CS3 and Capture One Pro

Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Rumour has it that for 64-bit, Windows Vista is superior to XP, and with that amount of RAM, it might just meet the minimum requirements for Vista, but it'll be a tight squeeze.

Sounds like a perfect Linux/BSD workstation actually... but since you're set on Adobe CS3, I guess that rules that out. The specs you give though don't sound like any Apple offering, which I remember hearing that MacOS X is only licensed for use on Apple hardware, not IBM clones.

XP 64-bit is a piece of crap. It was really Microsoft's testing platform for their 64-bit OS development. You'll get better support for virtually everything in Vista 64.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

I'm going to go the Vista 64bit route. Is Vista really as bad as everyone says it is?

I know XP inside and out and it's not too bad most days, I've heard really bad things about Vista and my biggest worry is being unable to use things like Adobe Photoshop CS3 and even more important, Capture One Pro.

Does anyone know if they are both compatible (and stable) with Vista?

No.

Vista is great, you've just got to get used to it.

Given I run CS3 on my Vista, you wont have any troubles on yours.

No idea what the hell Capture One Pro is though, so you might need to google compatibility.

Yes, it's different to XP, no it's not terribad.

The only things Vista doesn't have is support for older equipment - but you wouldn't have gotten that with xp 64bit either.

XP 64-bit is a piece of crap. It was really Microsoft's testing platform for their 64-bit OS development. You'll get better support for virtually everything in Vista 64.

This.

Hardly anything runs properly on XP x64.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to go and get myself a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Hopefully it'll all work out well.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to go and get myself a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit.

Hopefully it'll all work out well.

Thanks.

Just remember to turn OFF UAC otherwise it will drive you insane within a few minutes. As I am forever trialling new software having that thing pop up every time I want to install/uninstall/modify something turned out to be a nightmare.

...Just remember to turn OFF UAC...

/facepalm

This.

Once you've got everything installed, but UAC back on.

UAC is part of the security model, the rest of the OS is designed that way. It's no different to OSX asking for your password, or using sudo in Linux.

...Just remember to turn OFF UAC...

/facepalm

This.

UAC is part of the security model, the rest of the OS is designed that way. It's no different to OSX asking for your password, or using sudo in Linux.

Yes. There should never be a reason to turn off UAC.

You can turn off UAC prompting if it's annoying you that much, but don't turn off UAC itself.

Hi guys,

I've just bought a new system with:

Intel Q6600 2.4ghz

Gigabyte EP45-DSP

8gb Corsair XMS2 DDRII 800mhz

Now I've been using XP for ages and I'm not sure which operating system will utilise the 8gb RAM (or even recognise it).

I think my options are:

Win XP 64bit

Win Vista 64bit

OSX Leapard 64bit

My main concern is beng able to run my most important software... Adobe CS3 and Capture One Pro

Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Capture One Pro and CS3 will run fine on any platform and with that hardware.

Though for 64-bit I strongly recommend a stripped or optimised Vista (i just use Server 2008 x64 with basically the same hardware, byt 4GB + GTX 260 for when I get CS4), as CS3 is currently 32-bit and will only use 1 core on XP 64.

CS3 runs great!

This.

That's the same as windows defender, and windows firewall.

All three are off on my computer.

Yes, there are situations where they're handy to have on.

No, I don't think it's worth having them on ever. Worst comes to worse, I format and restore the files I routinely backup.