Sign in to follow this  
smakme7757

Windows vista gaming lag spikes - Small tutorial to help

Ok i have created this small guide which should help quite a few people, not everyone but a few. i have finally solved my vista problem and i can game on wireless without ANY lag at all its fantastic. after 1 year of piss farting around with network setting i never knew it would be this simple.

here you go its in PDF format:

http://rapidshare.com/files/149200983/Vista_Lag_Fix.rar

Below is the tutorial

Hi,

After a year of having problems with windows vista wireless i have finally figured out what is the problem (For me). Below you will find the steps to hopefully rectify your problem.

1. Find out who makes your Wireless adapters CHIPSET. You may have to search through google a bit to find out.

2. Download the drivers from the chipset makers website, not the card manufacturer, e.g. D-Link or Belkin.

3. After installing the new drivers restart your PC and follow the pictures below to finish my tutorial.

1. Click start – Then right click network and click properties ( highlighted in red)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/smakme7757/01.jpg

2. Click View Status

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/smakme7757/02.jpg

3. Click Properties

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/smakme7757/03.jpg

4. Now uncheck everything but leave Internet protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4). Now hopefully this should help stop the lag in games. I think it’s a conflict between both the v4 and v6 TCP/IP protocols. If everything works now, you can start enabling things until it stop working again. But for me I leave it all off! Good Luck =D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/smakme7757/04.jpg

I don't use fister and I generally don't use 802.11* wireless, but thanks for posting potentially useful info to help the frustration of others who refuse to uninstall fister :-)

Might want to get a mod to add the word 'wireless' to the subject line so it shows up in search results.

Another thanks here, too. Like segger, it doesn't really apply to me but nice to know for future reference.

And also, PDF is ghastly. This is quite clearly not the kind of document that is meant for printing, but rather for plain text or HTML. Thanks for including it here in a non-PDF format. If you want it to be found on the web, and actually utilised and not annoy people, I suggest you post a HTML version, too.

/me battles the overuse of PDFs one file at a time

/me flings another black pudding

Another thanks here, too. Like segger, it doesn't really apply to me but nice to know for future reference.

And also, PDF is ghastly. This is quite clearly not the kind of document that is meant for printing, but rather for plain text or HTML. Thanks for including it here in a non-PDF format. If you want it to be found on the web, and actually utilised and not annoy people, I suggest you post a HTML version, too.

/me battles the overuse of PDFs one file at a time

/me flings another black pudding

I dont really know what you mean with make it HTML. How do i do that? you mean make it on a simple webpage ?

I dont really know what you mean with make it HTML. How do i do that? you mean make it on a simple webpage ?

Simple or advanced, it doesn't really matter. But if it's something you're putting on the web for people to use, it makes sense for it to be a webpage, rather than a PDF document.

I don't know about others, but if I google for something and I get a bunch of results including a lot of PDFs, then I will always look at the non-PDF stuff first.

I actually wrote up a similar solution to this problem a while ago. Probably still in the atomic archives.

Downloaded Vista anti-lag, turn that on and everything is fine from then onwards. Works for some people though.

Another thing that I should also mention that it might also be worth only starting necessary services/programs on startup and disable the rest. Here is something else to add:

SOLUTION for Vista & XP users

1. Type msconfig in search within the start menu.

2. Select the startup tab and select disable all, and check programs which are necessary on startup only.

3. Select services tab, check the hide all microsoft services box, and disable all other services.

4. Click apply, then ok. Will ask you to restart your computer for the changes to take affect.

Whilst this solution can also help out with Vista users, it is also quite effective for XP users suffering from lag spikes in online games. But please note, that one solution is not always the perfect fix for all people.

Remember, if you did not suffer from lag a few weeks ago, and is still persistent from the time of observing the lag, chances are you have downloaded or installed a dodgey program with its connections spewing some crap out disturbing your online experience. So regular virus/spyware checks should also be conducted.

This solution worked for me especially for Team Fortress 2 to get rid of the hideous lag spikes.

Disabeling those sercvices would cause some problems with the firewall and the AV and any other program that needs a service to be started at startup. I would have taken a more delicate approach but in your case it might have been the firewall causing problems.

1st, i didnt note that in my guide, second if you read the whole thing you will also notice that i had written

' I think it’s a conflict between both the v4 and v6 TCP/IP protocols. If everything works now, you can start enabling things until it stop working again.'

Lastly i think thats kind of irrelevant seeing as any number of extra protocols could be listed in the box. Aswell as a certain amount of user intelligence should be mandate when it comes to trouble shooting computer problems. Im only 1 person with my own personal PC i cant possible compensate for everyones setup.

I would have safely thought people would take notice of that last line 'If everything works now, you can start enabling things until it stop working again' and used some common knowladge.

I suggest you post a HTML version, too.

I thought about this and i thought what the hell, it might be a decent little project for me. So i have decided to get myself a domain name and get started on a 'Fix the Vista' website. I have only had the domain for a night so its in its VERY early stages but i plan to work hard on it and try to compile as much decent info as i can.

Including but not limited to.

-Vlite tutorial

-General Vista improvements (UAC, Windows Defender, services ect.)

-Latest ATI/Nvidia drivers

-wireless problems (including all know possibilities, like VAL and the like plus how to find your chipset maker on your adapter)

-Antivirus suggestions....

And so on so forth.

It will be an interesting challenge to try and get as many usefull vista fixes as i can onto this website and try to make it as grandpa friendly as possible!

here is the site so far, will take a month or 2 to start looking in shape, but its a start!!

http://www.vistalagfix.net

jack.

I know it's a relatively new site, but....

Can you make it work properly under firefox pls?

:-)

At the moment the, news for 29/09/08, title and it's associated bottom line, over lays the posted by line, what ever the hell it's really called ;p

Other than that, a very nice layout.

All the best with it m8

;p

I know it's nothing to do with the vista lag spikes but could you add buttons from each page to get to any other page in the site rather than just linking them all back to home page, and is that SpaceSeige picture I see on your page?