absarc

Blu-Ray.....Worth it yet?

Hey i need to buy a new optical drive but i was wondering if i should invest the extra £100 in getting a Blu-Ray writer or just stick with good old DVD?

I mean a decent DVD writer supporting all the formats is about £17 and the cheapest Blu-Ray writer is about £120.

Any opinions welcome =).

Welcome to Atomic absarc!

The question here is, will you use it? Writing to BD media has the advantage of higher capacity (50GB) storage. So if you think you'll need to burn optical discs with several GB of data, go for it. They're also useful for HD movies, which require the higher capacity.

I don't think it's worth it just yet.

DVD is still prevalent, while I don't know anyone with a BD drive. DVD's are cheaper, and harddrives are cheaper as well. For writing, it just doesn't seem to be a wise investment just yet if you don't require it.

It's also worth noting that despite BR winning the format war, there's still a chance it could die off if people don't adopt it...much like laserdisc....

Maybe when decent BD burners drop to the $100 mark. Media might also be cheaper then too.

I'm trying to work out what I will do when LOTR is released on Blu Ray, and my PC doesn't have a spare SATA port.

I don't think it's worth it just yet.

DVD is still prevalent, while I don't know anyone with a BD drive. DVD's are cheaper, and harddrives are cheaper as well. For writing, it just doesn't seem to be a wise investment just yet if you don't require it.

It's also worth noting that despite BR winning the format war, there's still a chance it could die off if people don't adopt it...much like laserdisc....

If you really think about it dude, Blu-Ray can be cheap to ;)

That's why you shop and look around before purchasing and the best place to buy Blu-Ray movies is Big W, I got like 4 movies for 80 bucks and all of them have the extras that the standard DVD version won't get let alone more and more boxsets are becoming available. At the end of the day think about what your buying, your purchasing a movie in High Definition plus the feature to go online (BD Live - Available on Sony BD drives and Samsung according to our manuals.) I don't regret buying Blu-Rays, just to go back to DVD quality man I would rather get a role of glad rap and go outside with it rapped around my face.

The advantage to having Blu-Ray is simple as Cyber stated, If you have heaps of files on your PC and you don't have a second HDD or a Portable device to back up onto you have a Blu-Ray burner that holds an easy 50GB of data bam in one hit, it saves having to use 9 or 10 DVD discs.

Nothing is cheap these days and there are people adapting to the Blu-Ray era, and not just in our generation too ;)

DVD is still there and might be good to some, but after you see what your paying for I don't see how DVD can still be around as the best bet in tech (These days)

But hey, each to his own but this is just ranting, nothing personal :)

index, I don't think he was referring to movie discs, but the cost of blank BD media.

Well in that context your still getting your moneys worth.

For movies and storage :P

*Thanks for the heads up though :P

Edited by index680i

No, index, you're not.

25GB BD-R = $11 = 44c per GB

1TB HDD = $110 = 11c per GB

4.7GB DVD-R = $30 for 100 = 30c per disk = 6.3c per GB

Recordable Blu-Ray is still a terrible choice for data storage, cost wise.

Edited by SquallStrife

Now I'm thinking about getting a Dell Studio Hybrid Desktop with a Blu Ray drive. They charge $344 for the blu ray drive, and it isn't even a burner, but I think it would be more versatile than a PS3 (playing games excepted) and beats anything Apple has (they don't do blu-ray).

It's small enough to sit on my current PC case and has HDMI out for 1080p goodness.

my 2c:

A BRD drive is of course the only option if you want HD movies on your computer, and you don't have access to some kind of HD DLC service (illegal activities aside).

However as an option for data storage? HDDs leapfrogged BRD years ago for capacity and $/GB ratio; BRD will never be as fast or as easily rewritable; HDDs are physically tougher as well. The only advantage BRD has over HDD is as a mass-backup solution that brings an optical media to the storage capacity that tapes have had for years, but in a non-volatile (and non-rewritable) format.

SO if that's what you want - by all means, it's worth it. Personally, I'd rather get a couple 1TB HDDs for around the same price as a BRD burner + discs. Chuck 'em in my eSATA dock and have two duplicate backups on large, rewritable, fast, compact and sturdy external media.

The only advantage BRD has over HDD is as a mass-backup solution that brings an optical media to the storage capacity that tapes have had for years, but in a non-volatile (and non-rewritable) format.

Even then... a $70 LTO3 tape can hold up to 800GB. 8c per GB. You'd just use HDDs.

The only advantage BD-R has is durability, and if you're not carting your backup HDDs everywhere you go, that's a moot point too.

Edit: An $80 LTO4 can hold up to 1.6TB, down to 5c per GB... tape is almost an attractive option.

Edited by SquallStrife

... An $80 LTO4 can hold up to 1.6TB, down to 5c per GB... tape is almost an attractive option.

Except for the whole linear-read thing. Which for truly "mass" backup isn't really an issue, but most people will want to treat their backups as a kind of archive that they can dip into. Also tape drives that can do that are rather expensive.

Of course, buying the same capacity in BRD-RW costs around about $850 for the media, plus say $200 for the drive ... significantly less expensive overall, I'd say!

EDIT: are tape drives really that expensive???

Edited by thesorehead

In terms of using it as a storage medium, no, for the reasons SquallStrife explained.

In terms of movies, I'd say so, but only on movies that you could actually see more from the higher detail. There is absolutely no point in watching a drama on Blu Ray for $30 as apposed to $10 on DVD.

Something like 300 or Watchmen on Blu Ray... OMG *jizz*.

I would have said if you have the money buy it, If you dont, dont buy it!

I personally would Not use Blu-ray as a storage medium. I only use CD/DVD to store only the most important documents/software everything else is on my external HDD. I want a blu-ray player/burner for the sole purpose of playing blu-ray movies but certainly not as a primary backup method!

I personally download a lot of series programs on my PC from the internet and the get stored on my external hd; but sometimes, these are like 40gb each and i have quite a few. And as you'd guess my hd is quite full now and i need a new one. So at this would you say invest £70 - £80 on a 1tb hd or Blu-ray drive for £130?

I personally download a lot of series programs on my PC from the internet and the get stored on my external hd; but sometimes, these are like 40gb each and i have quite a few. And as you'd guess my hd is quite full now and i need a new one. So at this would you say invest £70 - £80 on a 1tb hd or Blu-ray drive for £130?

Get the 1TB HDD and one of these. Faster, more convenient, just as portable/removable as BRD.

EDIT: and cheaper

Edited by thesorehead

BDR discs are coming down in price though. When I got my BDR-202 drive it was about AU$10 per 2x speed 25GB disc over ebay (don't even bother buying them in shops they charge like AU$30-40 per disc!). Just recently I purchased some 4x speed 50GB discs for the same amount. So whilst yes it's more expensive than DVDs it'll eventually become a viable option.

... An $80 LTO4 can hold up to 1.6TB, down to 5c per GB... tape is almost an attractive option.

Except for the whole linear-read thing. Which for truly "mass" backup isn't really an issue, but most people will want to treat their backups as a kind of archive that they can dip into. Also tape drives that can do that are rather expensive.

Of course, buying the same capacity in BRD-RW costs around about $850 for the media, plus say $200 for the drive ... significantly less expensive overall, I'd say!

EDIT: are tape drives really that expensive???

Tapes drives are really good for backup but ... they aren't good for anything else. And if you want performance, you have to use SAS or SCSI ... which costs more money for the interface card.

Just to throw another hat into the ring, the Chinese are backing another format (very similar or based on HDVD), so the format war may not be over quite yet. The project also has some big sponsors outside of China - guess a couple of companies want better access to 1 billion new customers.

Get the 1TB HDD and one of these. Faster, more convenient, just as portable/removable as BRD.

EDIT: and cheaper

Got the Vantec equivalent of that one thesorehead. Wonderful little device for archiving or retrieving data.

Blu Ray is TOTALLY worth it for movie purposes. There's just no competition. For backup purposes, though, it'd be far better just to grab a 1TB drive for $100 or whatever they are now. Because if you back stuff up to blu ray, you're going to need a blu ray drive to access it. You can take a hard drive in a case and it's accessible wherever you go.

And a blu ray player/DVD burner is only about $140. So you can still do everything you used to, with the added benefit of being able to watch blu ray movies. That's what I did, and haven't looked back.

Except at the receipts of all the blu rays I've bought... yeesh...

I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive in my gamming rig. I don't use it to burn blu-ray dvds because a DVD is to expensive. I use it to watch blu-ray or to burn normal dvds.

I have a Pioneer Blu-Ray drive in my gamming rig. I don't use it to burn blu-ray dvds because a DVD is to expensive. I use it to watch blu-ray or to burn normal dvds.

^thats more what I Was getting at

BUT

At my new house, we have a 1080p projector, havent watched bluray on it yet, but it seems perfectly fine.