absarc

Blu-Ray.....Worth it yet?

And at CES, they are showing 3-D Blu-Ray players! I guess that will later come around to optical drives as well... 3D TVs too!

I guess by that time, Blu-Ray drive prices will fall more!

I'm looking forward to when TV on Blu-Ray gets cheap. The only TV shows I own on BD are Firefly, of course, and Band of Brothers which I got for christmas.

Most reviews of TV on BD seem to be fairly consistent in that they're reportedly pretty average on audio and video quality, and have fuckall special features, like most DVD sets. I kinda expect something more than just a few boring commentaries and crappy featurettes that sum up the stuff we just watched.

Hopefully they're either a) get a lot cheaper soon, or b) include more special features. Preferably both.

I Think Everyones Missing A Great Deal Here. Blu-Ray Movies Are Massive Files And If You Did Get A Burner, What Would You Use It for!

It's all good that you can rip onto your computer. If you have enough space! But if you wanted to download a 50GB file.... Thats streching most limits

on ISP's. But If You Are Just Ripping Or Copying The Disc, The Discs Themselves Are Pretty Damn Expensive As Well.

To Be Honest Blu-ray Isnt really A Big Deal. The New Form Of Movies Coming Out Has File Sizes Of 500G+

These New Movies Will Be Using New Technology Which lets You Have 3D At Home. No Glasses! The quality Of This 3D Is Amazing Though.

Edited by chris - pc

Well, for me, 25GB and 50GB writeable discs are nice. I'll use it to archive my images (16 bit tiff files, nearly 50mb apiece, and also the RAW files). Instead of having 30 or 40 bloody DVD-Rs, I can have one or 2 blu-ray discs. Far easier on the space, far easier to manage. I'm not interested in ripping/pirating blu-ray movies. I will use it to watch blu-ray movies - I've already bought Hellboy, The Matrix and The chronicles of Riddick and I'll be buying a bunch more over the coming months. I already own these movies on DVD, so it's a bit of doubling up on costs I guess, but I won't go out and buy every movie on blu-ray, only my absolute faves.

Dave