Bytemarks

Batman: Arkham Asylum

No. Sounds like you were stuck in a building. Once you get outside there's a lot of exploring to do. Grappling gun is useful.

Combat is done well when you encounter enemies (with various ways to take them out: gadgets; stealth; run in and beat the crap out of them).

Crawling through vents and tight spaces is only a small part of the game.

Great story too.

Welllllllllll completed as much as I want to :-) Got all Riddler trophies, challenges etc, and completed Arkham's oldest mystery for that achievement.

I couldn't really be bothered with the predator stuff...

Was a bloody awesome game all told, probably the only storyline game (ie vs something like SceneIt, or Battlefield etc) in recent memory (except maybe Bioshock) that I would actually have the inclination to replay.

Edited by thylacine

The predator stuff is actually pretty good. It's the combat challenges I hate, go through all the rounds and then get hit once and have to start all over again not fun at all.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...n-Arkham-Asylum

Thought this might by a laff for some.

Contains spoilers...but since it appears to be a game none of us have been able to put down for a fortnight, I'll assume we've all completed at least the story mode by now.

I haven't finished it yet. Been kinda busy and I'm exploring heaps.

Okay now I'm finished. I didn't mean to but I just had to keep going :)

"Batman is a master of making his fuckups look like he meant to do it all along"

One part I was in a room with many guys with guns. I went to glide kick one. For some reason Batman missed and tried to glide kick someone else (Must have changed focus when Batman spread his cape like a black and terrible flasher of the night :P) and I was surrounded by about 4 guys with guns. A few pressed of A to kick arse and I was back in control of the situation.

Fuck yeah.

And I have to repeat it. "...Spreading your cape like a black and terrible flasher of the night"

Edited by morris

Insane Night Map Pack available now. It's free

Invisible Predator Challenge maps in two locations - Admin Secure Records Facility and the Arkham Prison Watchtower.

Only one predator map, the one in the watchtower which is a unique location not in the game proper. The records room map is an infinite combat challenge, see how far you can get and how much you can score.

i really wanna watch that AA review by yahtzee, but i've been pacing myself with this one and as such don't wanna get caught out with any spoilers.

its hard tho, i'll go away from the game to take a deliberate break, but i'll be right back on it within half an hour :P

Got this for PC along with Prototype and Fallout 3, none of which I had played before (sorry I lie I played the Batman demo, only reason I wanted to buy it so bad or else I would have gone....comic.....movie....now game? poo)

However thankfully I did play the demo, I finished it on normal last night (been screwing round with Fallout 3) but that was one of the most enjoyable console ports I have ever played, I know for a fact I would have clocked it in 2 nights on a console with the good old dual shock 3 (didn't want to let me use Motionjoy plus drivers, but has native support for the 360 controller) but hey, keyboard and mouse is still good and I loved every minute of it even if the final fight was a tad boring for my liking.

Already sunk my teeth into Prototype but as soon as I finish the story mode I will be back onto Arkham Asylam to finish off the challenges.

There will be spoilers. I'm not about to go green blocking the entire post, so skip over my post if you're one of the few that haven't actually finished the game

Well i finally finished it last night. only took me what, just over a month? :P

I gotta say that like everyone else, i was't too impressed with the Croc and Joker bosses. Croc really disappointed me because he was built up so much, only to have a shitty evasion based boss fight. I was really hoping there would be a lot more to it like, i dunno, some actual fighting? At least the Joker fight included some physicality, even if it did rely on the tired "heres a shitload of grunts - enjoy!" before jumping in for a fight.

I felt that the Poison Ivy battle was by far the best of the game, followed closely by the Scarecrow platformers. And i especially loved the whole sequence before you meet up with Crane for a third time. Freaked me out purely because i have had a little trouble with my tv of late :P

I dont know how keen i am to go back and complete it on the hardest difficulty any time soon, but its got enough life in it for me to go back and sort out all of the remaining hidden items and riddles.

Speaking of hidden items, the tapes i get. That makes sense, you'd find patient records in such a place and they would probably be one of the first things accessed should it all go to shit. I can believe that The Riddler would feel the need to hide shit all over the place as some sort of battle of wits with Batman. I can understand that. But scanning the carved stones to reveal the story of arkham? Surely it would have been much better to go with the (yes, quite cliched) diary pages? They could have been hidden amongst the filing cabinets, on desks, in strange locations etc? It just annoys me that they didn't seem to fit within the Batman universe.

either way i thoroughly enjoyed it. its the first game in a long time that i've dedicated this much time to that wasn't racing, fighting or skateboarding. I cant wait for the sequel.

And yahtzee was bang on the money.

Totally agree with all that juggs... Hope there's a sequel, in some form or another (even if it's set elsewhere, in a city etc... same devs hopefully, they did an awesome job with this one).