Sign in to follow this  
dorsal fin

A good gaming mouse...?

Hi guys,

I have been scouring the internet for reviews and explanations of gaming mice and i have not found any simple descriptions of what aims better!

I just took advantage of steams half price cod 5 and i am getting really shitty about the fact that my aim jumps... i try and aim up a headshot and the pointer will skip to the other sie of the head. and this is the minimal increment the mouse will move at...

My assumption is that getting a higher dpi mouse will solve this, am i correct? and I know a higher dpi is a good thing but is it worth going past 1600 dpi, because i run nearly everything at 1680 by 1050 i have read somewhere that the resolution should be lower than the dpi.

So can anyone reccomend something good for the 50 or 60 dollar range?

What kind of mouse you should get is really up to you, because when you get to a certain price point ($50+) it becomes not only a factor of whats good, but what feels nice.

I'm currently using a Microsoft sidewinder X5 and I personally think that its the best mouse I've ever used.

When I'm playing Online twitch FPS' like Counter Strike Source, I set the DPI down to 400 (it has 3 DPI preset buttons, 2000, 800 and 400) I find 2000 DPI to be waaaaay to sensetive, the lower the more accurate you are as far as I'm concerned.

Best piece of advice, see what your friends have and try theirs out for a while.

Razer also make good mice, the Razer Diamondback is a fantastic mouse with a great pricetag.

The X5 Sidewinder can be had for around 50 if you know where to look *cough* msy *cough* but if you go to somewhere like EB or JB you're looking at about 100 dollars.

ye me and my bro have already planned a trip to msy tomorrow morning...

my real concern is though how accurate the aim is. you say you turn down your dpi for shooters, what im confused about is how do i know which mouse will be smooth and move as per the pixels on the screen and no the large blocks it decides to move by...

I'm assuming the sidewinder will perform well then. msy also have a gigabyte m6880 a 1600 dpi laser mouse for only 18 bucks... would that be too much a risk will i get crap for that price?

I'd say it wont be very good, if its primarily for gaming, then get one designed for gaming.

Razer, Logitech and Microsoft X Series are among, if not the best brands.

Logitech MX518 $35 is probably the best value gaming mouse about now

Yeah, hard to beat the 518 for value.

I'm very happy with my Razer Deathadder. I use a Krait at lans, that is a great mouse too.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I think I'll settle for the Microsoft, just cos MSY are offering them for a good price, and am getting one on account of one game really (normally i play strategy).

Anyway off to the shops...

If it's moving unexpectedly, your mouse probably isn't your problem. It may be the surface that you are using the mouse on. Try a different mousemat or a book or atomic mag or something.

Protip- sometimes a very fine hair caught in the optical sensor area of the mouse can cause random jumps.

I like my logitech G5.

+1

Bought it a while ago and it's fantastic. Much a relief from using cheap, light mice in the past :)

Logitech MX518 $35 is probably the best value gaming mouse about now

mines olds as. worn of logo. and still kicks ass. best optical mouse made eva. (cause most gaming mice are laser now)

+1 if need a budget or spare one

Protip- sometimes a very fine hair caught in the optical sensor area of the mouse can cause random jumps.

+1 to that, happened to my X5 just after I got it.

Also, a good mouse pad will do wonders, I'm using a Razer Goliathus Control pad, and its the bomb.

I've used the origianl G5 since it was released and it is by far the best mouse i have used, the only thing against it, i can't rest my whole hand on it, but it hasn't bothered me, the weights i can put in it are a nice feature as the extra weight in the hand gives me a little more control of the mouse. It also has 3 dpi settings with the easy +, - buttons near the scroll wheel

my brother's spare Razor Copperhead is also right next to me on my spare comp, it is more comfortable in the hand becasue my whole hand can rest on it, but it is to lite and the side buttons are hard for my thumb and fingers to naturally press because of their placement with the shape of the mouse as a whole. other then that it is a good mouse, also the scroll button is easier to click then the G5.

Logitech's G500 Logitech's G500 page is on it's way out, and if i ever had to replace my G5 i would probably get this one.

also i've heard people say setting their mouse to the highest dpi while lowering the sensitivity in the game is a handy thing to do for FPS's, their is probably a theory behind that, but i've never tried it.

also i've heard people say setting their mouse to the highest dpi while lowering the sensitivity in the game is a handy thing to do for FPS's, their is probably a theory behind that, but i've never tried it.

I guess its different for different games, but I awp alot in CSS and for flick shots, I use a low Sense (2.1) and 400 dpi, so with a decent mouse pad, You can do a full 360 degree turn, or with a flick of the wrist you can "Snap" onto their head/body whatever.

But its always different for different people/games. One thing I have noticed in FPS games is, if the Sense is too high, people tend to miss when in close range, as they overaim.

ID SELL MY SOUL BEFORE I SELL MY MX REVOLUTION............mmmmmm so many buttons