Sign in to follow this  
the_13th

Windows XP Blue Screen **HELP!**

Installing XP for the first time on to this new machine and as I load the disc, I get the Blue Screed of Death.

Stop: 0x0000007E

pci.sys

This is a new machine with no software installed whatsoever, this is a completely fresh install.

The blue screens comes just after the initial loading just before it asks gives you the choice of what your doing, installing repairing etc.

Disc: Windows XP Professional

Version: SP1.

System Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L

Corsair DDR2 2GB Kit PC6400 800MHz XMS2

3.5" Seagate 500GB (ST3500418AS, SATA II, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)

Sapphire ATI RADEON HD4850 1GB DDR3

I did a google search on the stop error and had one guy on a forum suggesting its a clash between sp1 and PCI Express, but I really dont know, if thats the problem HOW CAN I FIX? I dontn have a newer version of the xp disc. And I aint paying for it again

Also just try reseating everything, pull it apart and put it together again, I've had blue screens from when I've done work on the comp and a hair has gotten into the ram slot when i put it in, it can be simple little things like that

Installing XP for the first time on to this new machine and as I load the disc, I get the Blue Screed of Death.

Stop: 0x0000007E

pci.sys

Bet you didn't do the F6 thing and load the SATA drivers from floppy disk. Page 85 onwards in the manual.

Alternatively go in to the bios and make sure the SATA controller is set to IDE mode, not AHCI or raid mode (note that AHCI is not supported by XP at all).

But I do have to ask WTF are you doing installing XP (espec SP1) on that hardware anyway?

You will get much more effective use of the hardware with Vista or Win7.

Run away from Vista - get Win7!! You can slipstream the drivers you need also...but I have seen this problem occurring with older versions of Windows ?? which don't occur with the latest version!!

Actual,ly yeah we tried the new SP and didnt solve the issue, and my room mate checked the manual, and realised it was the SATA drives, we're running XP because its not my PC, its a mates and he cant afford to buy a new windows, he's a student on a limited budget which this had eaten taken. And even if he did ask for an illegal version I wouldnt be supporting the idea.

We need to get our hands on a floppy drive, we'll grab the USB one from work and get it done tomorrow

Apparently that code you gave (0x0000007E) means that there might be a bios incompatibility issue. Its recommended to upgrade the bios and try again.

Mr google may have some solutions for you.

In regards to win7 though, pretty sure you can still get it for free. I've even seen it on a cd with a pc mag the other day.

Cheers

Edited by mattym

Im loving this streamline disc idea, im running with it and giving it a real go (for myself not the mates pc) any idea if you can streamline the firefox adonns in to the install?

Im loving this streamline disc idea, im running with it and giving it a real go (for myself not the mates pc) any idea if you can streamline the firefox adonns in to the install?

Not sure about FF addons but looking at this sort of thing myself for a custom install. I have done the SP slipstream thing for ages but nothing more complex as yet.

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

should cover most of what you want to know.

Try pressing the escape key because I have had a couple of bluescreen errors which I have fixed by pressing the escape key and the computer just exited back to windows.

Well, we tried the Hard Drive issues with no luck, even tested the graphics card. At this stage I'm left at a place wjere it HAS to be a motherboard issue.

I might try PC Authority, wanted to test W7RC on my machine anyway.

Im calling the store today :(

Edited by the_13th

Try pressing the escape key because I have had a couple of bluescreen errors which I have fixed by pressing the escape key and the computer just exited back to windows.

If you can escape out of a BSOD, it's not a BSOD, it's malware.