Sign in to follow this  
B82R3S

After a indestructible usb flash drive

Hi all,

After losing two usb keys due to bad luck and people wheeling around in elec labs (the usb hubs are on the undersides of the desks making the usb keys stick out) im after a bulletproof usb key

what tough options are there? only really need ~2gb of space with decent speeds.

even the regular corsair flash voyagers with the rubber housing are fairly indestructible. the connection on mine is bent, and god knows how many times its been trodden on etc at LANs.

a guy i know has one that he accidentaly drove his car overs, still works, and my bosses one has been through the wash numerous times apparently, and it still works.

i think its just one of those things where if you leave it to dry out properly it will be fine. seen that happen with mobile phones too.

yeah i like the rubbery ones. Ive bent the connector twice on this 16g usbkey i had and it was a PITA to unbend.

ill probably get the voyager then. I had a OCZ one but it started to get detected as a removable flash media drive (in windows and on a linux pc..) lol

actually which would you guys go for the suvivor or the voyager. the rubber one would go better on my keychain

id go for the yoyager simply because im usually fairly careful with my gear.

if your prone to having accidents etc with them then go for the survivor.

are there any keys where the actual usb connector isnt soldered onto the pcb? like its connected by wires internally? that would solve my problems with the shit getting bent all the time.

and its not me whos prone, lots of people wheel around in the elec labs lol

most USB keys come with a short USB cable.

as long as you use that little cable it doesnt matter where it bends.

or av even better idea

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22553

$2.18 US, shipping included. has a keychain connector, keep the USB drive on the damn desk.

nah prefer it be integrated into the usb key.

i got the voyager anyway

So long as the ports are not recessed I would have gone with an Apacer AH421.

http://emea.apacer.com/en/products/Handy_S...21_features.htm

Has a swivel head so it can sit flush with the front of a case (or in your situation a workbench).

Not a "tough" design but with it sitting flush less risk of walk by damage.

Edited by aliali

Pretty sure Cyb3r had a USB key, that when ripped out by accident, some how, it took the whole port. xD

i want

and yeah usb cable is t3h sux, another thing to carry around.

If people are wheeling around being stupid in labs, and putting your devices at risk, kick them away when they come anywhere near your stuff. Hard.

Edited by TheSecret

Sandisk U3 Titanium

i got one of these around the place..been thru washes, un water and still works without any issues....

Pretty sure Cyb3r had a USB key, that when ripped out by accident, some how, it took the whole port. xD

Yep, took the port and a small chunk out of my laptop. Darn thing is too strong for it's own good. D:

This is the USB in question (Pico-C): http://www.supertalent.com/products/stt_usb_detail.php

Posted Image

are they actually strong? or was it just a weak usb port lol

They're very solid. It's basically all one piece of metal. The laptop was dropped from about 80cm high and it landed on the USB drive. The USB drive acted like a lever and destroyed the port. Yay for mechanical (dis)advantage!

They're very solid. It's basically all one piece of metal. The laptop was dropped from about 80cm high and it landed on the USB drive. The USB drive acted like a lever and destroyed the port. Yay for mechanical (dis)advantage!

Especially if it was a mac, since they've all only got 2 USB ports as it is. and ripping one out is likely to damage the adjacent one

Which means that even for a cheap cunt like me, it'd be time for a new MLB!

ok i found the 16gb usb key that has no shell, its got decent performance aswell.

now how would i solder the connector to it by wires? from memory last time i tried to solder to the tabs on the pcb it didnt end too well :( lol