Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
DJRmenace

Getting a new mobile device, need your opinion.

Hello,

I need to get a new phone (contract ending) and I want your opinion on what to get. I will explain what I want from it, but first a bit about me (might help your judgment).

Warning: Please do not read on unless you have too much time on your hands. Remember that you do not need to post in this thread, if you have some useful info for me at this point in time please let me know.

I am the type of person that will stick with a phone through a 2 year contract and renew each time for a new phone. I also push any device I get to the limit in terms of capability.

Eg. This is me over the last 2 years:

Number of mobiles: 1

Mobile model: Nokia 6110.

Features currently heavily used:

GPS-

route 66 Aus map (with voice)

Data-

Opera mini (browsing)

JMirc - (irc client to connect to in game guild chat in AOC)

Fring Mobile- (Skype client to conect to skype account on my server connected to ventrilo so I can chat with my guildies in AOC from my mobile, at no extra cost.)

TSMobiles (Terminal server client for Java mobiles, to connect to my server)

VNC+ (VNC client for mobiles, to connect to a pc. Yes, I have Played an MMORPG through VNC on my phone to prove it could be done. not very practical, but it can be done with keybinds to number keys, and is funny as hell)

Youtube app

Email-

IMAP access to 3 email accounts.

Other-

Connecting to the internet on my laptop through USB cable (or bluetooth) to my mobile (I pay a little extra to get 1Gb per month on my Virgin mobile plan)

Multimedia-

Video recorder (often used to record traffic conditions and email them to work to proove the cause of being late... is traffic ;)

picture camera (taking good quality pics to save writing stuff down)

Sound recorder (record phone conversations / meetings to cover my ass)

MP3 playback

Video playback

Picture viewing (a lot)

Radio tuner

Yes, Yes, I know, the phone was not designed to handle that much use of the data conection. I am raping it. I replaced the battery after it karked it at the age of 12 months (The new one is just as old now and on the blink). But, I enjoy using the shit out of my mobile device and running the battery down, as I have a charger at home / work/ and in the car.

OK,now here is my WISH LIST (the things I will try to force the device to do whether it likes it or not:

New requirements-

Big ass screen (meh, need it for remote connections to PCs etc)

Touch screen

Durable - Must either have a protective case available or be very very very scratch resistant, or both)

Output video to another device / screen?

OK-ish Battery life - I would like to use the data connection for hours on end if the battery permits, but will have chargers everywhere though so not imperative.

Existing requirements-

Data-

*Laptop tethering through mobile device for broadband internet connection.

*GPS (accurate, with voice if possible)

Terminal Server client

VNC client

IRC client

Skype client

YouTube client (that one is easy)

Good browser like Opera Mini

Shit, a Ventrilo client would be cool.

IMAP (or POP3 I guess) email Connection to 3 accounts at least

Multimedia-

Video recorder (quality good, but not imperative)

picture camera (quality good, but not imperative)

Sound recorder (MUST be able to record phone conversations in stealth (no beeping))

MP3 playback (good quality if possible)

Video playback

Picture viewer (easy to use / good / quick)

Radio tuner

And... shit, anything else that might be cool to try on a mobile device, you can probably bet I'll try it. (eg remote control car via bluetooth etc :)

People keep recommending 2 different options to me. I'll only mention them later on to get some clean unbiased suggestions first.

After people have made suggestions (if they do) please post here if you have what they are recommending and use it for some of the uses listed above.

I really appreciate any input from you all.

Thank you,

DJ.

Windows mobile 6.1 / 6.5 is your friend. I have a htc touch diamond2 with pretty much all of the above

An iphone 3gs will do all that. I'm not saying it is a good or bad choice but I am happy with my straight 3g iphone if that is any help. You have to pay for tom tom or something if you want turn by turn gps though.

Thanks for that, I'll check out the Diamond. So far I've been tossing up between the IPhone and the N95, and the IPhone was winning. Checking Diamons2 out now. I like the idea of Windows mobile, just heard it is not as efficient. Can't back that up yet, will update soon.

Cheers.

Edit: I meant Samsung Omnia and Iphone. Not N95

Edited by DJRmenace

I used to fix phones for a living eg: Iphone saw alot of those mind you the build quality has kind of increased with the 3gs but not by much. I love my diamond just need to do abit of research people dont like windows mobile because there to dumb to figure it out, like people and vista. Thats why people like iphones you can be retarded and still use on. Hence why I assume if you have an iphone you have an IQ of 25 unless proven other wise

I used to fix phones for a living eg: Iphone saw alot of those mind you the build quality has kind of increased with the 3gs but not by much. I love my diamond just need to do abit of research people dont like windows mobile because there to dumb to figure it out, like people and vista. Thats why people like iphones you can be retarded and still use on. Hence why I assume if you have an iphone you have an IQ of 25 unless proven other wise

I know, it seams everyone and their dog has a damn IPhone. Yes the menu is pretty and is very responsive but I think I could really come to like Windows mobile as I am quite familiar with many of the other windows products (I support them for a living) and I am sure I could adapt.

Reviews on IPhone 3gs vs Diamond (not Diamond2 / not out yet) in terms of Battery life for data usage and screen size (good for my RDP, VNC and GPS usage) IPhone has won in my opinion. The multi-touch feature of the IPhone is an aesthetic thing but will also be useful for GPS.

Apart from maybe wanting to use Windows mobile to get used to it, I can not see too many other of my requirements (above) that make the Diamond more attractive to me than the IPhone 3GS.

Yes, since so many people have IPhones You can't exactly put them in to a "they must be savvy" or "they must have done their homework" category, but there are some people out there who probably chose the IPhone for similar requirements to mine (above).

Again, thanks for keeping this discussion alive, I value the opinion of my fellow Atomicans over the market hype for the IPhone (or diamond) or the 16 yr old girls say how "totally ossim" it is.

It looks like I have some time before IPhone 3Gs comes back in stock, more time to find the perfect alternative I have been missing so far.

DJ.

Edit: Typo

Edited by DJRmenace

yeah HTC is about your only option.

the BlackBerry Bold also has MOST of that, but it uses completely different software, obviously, its very nice though.

you could go an iphone but once again you're limited to 'the app store'.

maybe look into one of HP's PDA-with-phone options.

Samsung i900 (Omnia) is a serious contender given the features you've asked for.

http://www.samsung.com/au/omnia/

The Omnia is not bad, I've been talking to some friends of mine lately who have been convincing me that having anything on Windows mobile will be infinitely more flexible than having to rely on the Apple IPhone app store. I personally don't mind hacking together a solution or two, the Omnia has some really nice specs (5MP camera, 24 Gig space with expandable memory). Sure, it does not have multitouch, but maybe I can live without that for a bit longer. I might get my Wife the IPhone 3Gs and get me an Omnia.

Still looking at specs on the Omnia, as soon as it proves it's self to me in the battery life and processing power departments (checking out more specs now) it might be a real contender here. Thanks for that, it has been recommended to me in the past, just getting a chance to check it out now.

(I have avoided samsung mobiles in the past for a few good reasons (a long story) so far but I will now give their Omnia some serious thought)

Thanks,

DJ.

Right on DJ. The reason I like WM is its flexible and easy to mod, I have pretty much all of what your after running. I do like the Iphone but after having to deal with apple for a living and fixing Imac / macbooks I couldn't stand to purchase another product off them.

My brother has a 3GS and I have to say im quite impressed but I dont think its by anyway near as flexible as WM. Sure you have access to so many aps via the Apps store but its soo regulated and if you want to do anything decent with an iphone you have to jail brake it.

I'm a I.T security consultant now for a living so I require the flexibility of all my hardware ( hey I can run Backtrack on it) So thats why I love my HTC. It may be worth looking at the below link just to check out some other cool phones. Becuase there are SMART phone apart from the iphone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428

Anyway Best of Luck Please do post on what you think as im keen to see what you do.

Right on DJ. The reason I like WM is its flexible and easy to mod, I have pretty much all of what your after running. I do like the Iphone but after having to deal with apple for a living and fixing Imac / macbooks I couldn't stand to purchase another product off them.

My brother has a 3GS and I have to say im quite impressed but I dont think its by anyway near as flexible as WM. Sure you have access to so many aps via the Apps store but its soo regulated and if you want to do anything decent with an iphone you have to jail brake it.

I'm a I.T security consultant now for a living so I require the flexibility of all my hardware ( hey I can run Backtrack on it) So thats why I love my HTC. It may be worth looking at the below link just to check out some other cool phones. Becuase there are SMART phone apart from the iphone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=428

Anyway Best of Luck Please do post on what you think as im keen to see what you do.

Thanks for that mudg3, I'll check it out tomorrow. Yeah, reading more about the Iphone apps I'm getting a little turned off it. I am still reading about jailbreaking, I can however imagine with WM I can have more control over the apps and OS. I know I won't leave it stock standard for too long.

Thanks again, I just hope I can get the HTC Diamond on a good 3 mobile plan or something.

Oh, I saw an add recently for the HTC "Magic", not sure but might be exclusive to Vodafone?

Anyway, Thanks again. I"ll update soon on how I went.

DJ.

Dont get the Majic dude , not unless your really in love with it. Would be good to check out the HTC touch HD and the HD Touch Pro. I still really want a HD touch pro 2. Some HTC phones have andriod whic you could also look into. which opens up another argument

Dont get the Majic dude , not unless your really in love with it. Would be good to check out the HTC touch HD and the HD Touch Pro. I still really want a HD touch pro 2. Some HTC phones have andriod whic you could also look into. which opens up another argument

Yep, HTC Magic has the "Android OS"

http://www.htc.com/au/product/magic/overview.html

Not keen on that, I'll either get a WM device or an IPhone

3 mobile have the Magic (yuk now) and the Diamond Touch

Diamond Touch:

http://www.htc.com/au/product/touchdiamond/overview.html

I must say, the smaller screen is going to be a fail point for me (GPS needed for in car navigation, on a holder), still checking out vids on the Samsung Omnia though. Getting through it, I seem to have time though, still no IPhone 3Gs's in stock yet anyway.

Thanks again, I'll update you on my decision. Lots of good info here so far :)

DJ.

Edited by DJRmenace

Alright.

I have an Omnia i900 myself, and love the thing. It will do everything you need it to, as long as you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty. It's battery life is ridiculous as well, with super heavy usage it lasts a day and a half: not bad with the amount of data I pump through it (always on push-everything through an Exchange server, constant web browsing, MSN, IRC, the works).

The thing is, the same thing can be said of the iPhone 3GS: jailbreak it and you're good to go. Not only that, but it's video recording is far superior.

The Touch Diamond2 is going to be my next purchase, as it has everything I need in a phone, and looks swanky to boot. Expansys have them in Australia already by the way, and you'd be much better served by getting a phone off contract rather than getting locked in (in my opinion anyway).

My Girlfriend has the Diamond 1, and after putting Windows Mobile 6.5 on it it runs like a dream.

Speaking of Dreams, (pun) I wouldn't write the Magic off just yet. It's running Google Android, a Linux based operating system that is just as hackable as Windows Mobile, but is prettier to use. Basically, it's a cross between WinMo's functionality, and the unhacked iPhone's interface sort of thing.

It can do nearly everything you need it to, and is sexy. I like 'em ;)

Seeing as you're used to Nokia, why not have a look at the 5800 XpressMusic, or the Nokia N97? Both fill your features requirements, and the N97 is pretty damned sexy as well.

The Omnia and the Diamond are both superceded by their successors (Diamond2 and Omnia II), so I'd be adverse to getting one of those. The iPhone once jailbroken will do everything you need it to do (I believe). The Nokia N97 and 5800 XpressMusic are a good match as well.

Hope I gave you some food for thought!

I loved my diamond and I love my diamond 2 there the best phones I've owned. My girl friend now has my diamond and even though shes not to computer savey she can still easily use it. My brother and mother have Iphones and there just so locked down. I just want the trow the thing again the wall when ever I use it. Somthings you love somthings you hate. I love supporting the under dog too so I am abit bias.

HTC Touch HD. FTW. For reals. Alternatively, Touch Diamond 2 is also pretty sweet.

Specs here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_touch_hd-2525.php

{review there too)

Put WinMo 6.5 on it, play around with flashing a million different ROMs. I'm running Miri's 6.5 v23 (latest is 26.2) and there are about 6 active ROM chefs (funnily named -- "What's cookin'?", lol).

My ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493911

More ROM cookage madness:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493911 <----------- Using a leaked build of TouchFlo3D from a forthcoming device... That's what the community is like. The dev's are just enthusiasts, paid only on donations, I swear they're on speed. Their work is smazing.

Software here, have a look:

http:/www.freewarepocketpc.net

Free backup/sync from Microsoft, called MyPhone:

http://sn1-p3.myphone.microsoft.com/mkweb/Start.po?mkt=en-US

The long and short of it is that if you want to play with the limits of your device, and push the hardware, then WinMo is definitely where it's at. iPhone = app store only = you'll never get anywhere near the flexibility or customisations.

Now that you are educated, go forth and win at mobile connectivity.

Glad to see another fan here! Im running cooked roms too on my Diamond 2 and its great. I dont know why you would want an iphone when you can do soo much to wm.

OK, Wow. I knew this would happen, so many good options! :)

Here is a new deal breaker:

Must have 3.2 inch screen or larger (for GPS use in car on holder).

Must have atleast 8GB internal storage (expandable is a plus)

I believe that leaves me with:

Iphone 3GS (looking less and less attractive by the minute for my urge to push boundaries)

Nokia N97 (perfection)

Samsung Omnia (version 2?)

One of my "wish list" features has popped up in the Nokia N97.

Remember when I said "Output video to another device / screen?" as a far fetched idea?

Nokia N97 FTW with TV Out!

Nokia N97 Specs HERE

OK, So I am now in love with the Nokia N97 over the Iphone 3GS!

For these reasons:

Windows Mobile

TV out

Big 3.5 inch screen

Stylish slide out Querty Keyboard (more screen space while typing),

FM transmitter??? (That is so me!)

5MP Camera

video records in DVD qual (VGA?) Apparently at 30FPS with heaps of video tweak options.

EXPANDABLE MEMORY :)

This IPhone 3GS Fanboy (in my opinion) actually is has the reason I turned to the Nokia N97:

NOW...

One problem,

I can get the 16GB Iphone 3Gs wiht 3 Mobile (by far my favourite provider for my own weird reasons) on a $49 / month plan at $5 /month extra for the phone (Last time I checked).

And the N97, possibly due to not being as massively popular is not sold by 3 Mobile, and is considerably more expensive (or on shit value plans) with other providers.

Iphone 3Gs is cheaper damn it! And I can't seem to make my wife fall in love with anything else. If we go with different providers we will loose out on free calls to each other (pretty much only call each other half the time).

you'd be much better served by getting a phone off contract rather than getting locked in (in my opinion anyway).

Can't justify the value if paying upfront as opposed to getting it free while paying for calls. I know it means you can choose different plans and not be locked in as long, maybe I just don't know where to go to find these phones cheap enough (wink, wink. hint, hint. got any suggestions? do not say Ebay pls)

(Also, somebody re-mentioned Android OS: I am not to savvy with Linux and I'm not as worried about the pretty UI as my Wife is, She'll get the IPhone 3GS I think, I really want WM now)

Anyway,

Thank you all so very much for you help. I have found a CLEAR winner for me.

It is the Nokia N97.

I won't bore you with my quest to find a suitable plan for it. I'll let you know what I end up getting and why.

You are all brilliant, thank you :)

DJ.

O.o, Nokia N97 = Symbian (OS?) = Not WM friendly? ... still reading, O.o

Edited by elvenwhore

I would probably go with the HTC Touch HD. BUt the Nokia N97 is a good phone. Just along as you don't get an Iphone I think I've achieved what I set out to do :)

Best of luck mate.

I would probably go with the HTC Touch HD. BUt the Nokia N97 is a good phone. Just along as you don't get an Iphone I think I've achieved what I set out to do :)

Best of luck mate.

If I don't get the Iphone 3Gs, I would want it to be because I want to get acquainted with Windows Mobile. Nokia N97, sadly, is now out of the question (I was in love with it's features damn it! but it runs on "Symbian").

HTC Touch Pro 2 comming out soon is now the direction I am heading if I can wait long enough for it to be released and then tested by 3 Mobile.

I'll post more reasons why soon, but mainly because it runs on WM and it has a big enough screen, storage, GPS etc.

*cries "Why Symbian? Tell me Nokia, why keep the buggy dinosaur alive? Kill it, put it out of it's misery!"

DJ.

OK, The HTC Touch HD only has 8GBs internal storage (expandable a bit though).

The Nokia N97 Has 32GB (+16 GB max expandable)

The TV out function on the N97 is sweet! (not on the touch HD, touch Pro had it but not the HD :( )

3.8" screen on the Touch HD is nice (compared to 3.5 on Nokia N97 or 3.2 on IPhone 3GS)

Also, the Touch HD only available on a plan through Telstra :(

To save me from getting an IPhone, My question to you all is then:

Can I force Windows Mobile on to a phone like Nokia N97? If so, what can go wrong?

Edited by DJRmenace

You can try though i doubt it would work. Next issue with the N97 is that if you have modified the OS what so ever you will void your warranty. ( trust me I used to work for them)

http://www.uniquemobiles.com.au/HTC/

Try these guys sure you have to buy the phone outright but chuck a plan sim from 3 in there and your good to go!

Well, I didn't realise that although the original HTC Touch diamond only had a 2.8" screen, the new Touch diamond 2 has a 3.2" screen (IPhone is 3.5", close enough) with a better resolution of 480 x 800 (IPhone only has 320 x 480).

The HTC Diamond 2 is now my phone to be. I hope Three mobile bring it in soon. I don't want to buy it outright even for just under $700 from http://www.uniquemobiles.com.au/HTC/ as I can not justify the cost, but I can wait.

I'm getting my wife the IPhone 3GS and hanging out for the Diamond 2 to come the Three mobile. :)

Thanks for all your help.

DJ.

YAY!

*Hands up in the air*

Glad to see you've joined the rebel forces against the evil apple empire. You might be able to find one cheaper on ebay. Btw telstra I believe will only be able to sell the diamond 2, I could be mistaken though