auditri

BF2 1.5 Updaate

Changed the res/refresh rate....got to the BF2 log in screen this time, but it just hanged there on the "connecting to EA servers" (or whatever it is) screen...were the servers down yesterday by any chance?

Edited by Milano

Changed the res/refresh rate....got to the BF2 log in screen this time, but it just hanged there on the "connecting to EA servers" (or whatever it is) screen...were the servers down yesterday by any chance?

Nope I was playing last night fine. hanged there on the "connecting to EA servers" sounds like firewall/security suite issues. Or perhaps router/modem issues, especially if you have a double nat setup ( router and router/modem) or are behind a proxy.

I got a Billion 7404VGP-M VOIP router with disabled firewall, ali.

I've looked up the ports.. http://www.gameconfig.co.uk/ports.aspx?game=battlefield+2 Do they seem right to you? Now i've just gotto work out how to open them in the modem settings, which I had trouble locating when I failed trying to open some up for UT3...

Edited by Milano

Shouldn't have to open any ports at all unless you are running a game server.

But could be worth turning UPNP on if it is off (device management in the router config pages), that can sometimes help. Apply the change, save to flash and reboot the modem.

If you still cannot connect to the login servers after turning UPNP on then go back to running windowed mode and see if you get a security alert. If you are using the windows inbuilt firewall I have found that sometimes after a game update it treats the game as a new programme so needs re-approving. Some third party software firewalls are very touchy on this and programmes need re-approval for every programme update.

As far as the 7404VGP-M goes

http://portforward.com/english/routers/por...ttlefield_2.htm covers forwarding the BF2 ports, but like I said you shouldn't need to for joining servers. I have never had too on 4 different modems including the 7404VGP-M.

UPNP was already on.

I've just tried to connect in windowed mode, got to the "connecting to servers" screen, & this time, after about a minute or two, got the same error as earlier - mentioning 1600x1200 @ 85Hz. Not sure why though - the window is sized for my 22" LCD, just off centre.

Also updated punkbuster, but that didn't help.

Looks like a full reinstall's needed.

Edited by Milano

Bugger, You could also check Install folder\Profiles\Local\Default\Video.con. Mine has

game.setGameDisplayMode 800 600 32 0

Which means the initial screen after login should be 800x600 at 32 bit.

Also check

Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\video.con

and any other

Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000x folders.

Again should have a line

VideoSettings.setResolution 1680x1050@60Hz

Not sure when the profile Video.con takes over, thought it was when joining a game and the default video.con was for log in and the setup/config/server search screens.

But sounds like I was wrong. :P

Also just triple check your shortcut properties again.

Interesting just checked on my Vista PC. I set the shortcut properties back to standard in the games explorer after doing the 1.5 update, but the custom res settings where still present in the start menu shortcuts, yet I thought one linked to the other.

Also check

Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001\video.con

and any other

Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\000x folders.

Again should have a line

VideoSettings.setResolution 1680x1050@60Hz

That worked! Just logged in.

No re-install required!

Thanks, ali.

8]

Now which servers should I add as faves??

Oh & i've just remembered why I haven't botherd with this game for a while - my audio is very scratchy. Might've been since I upgraded to the auzentech prelude with the xfi chip...

Edited by Milano

Shouldn't be scratchy with that card, my old Audigy 2 value sounds ok. I would first make sure EAX is off in game, and set audio renderer to hardware and medium or high quality. Also if you have 2.1, 5.1 or whatever speakers but stereo headphones you will have to make sure the Auzentech software is set to stereo output.

As for servers. Well internodes servers are now games.on.net, but I can often be found on $a$, !Gun!, EAplay and Last One Standing, but mostly on Lost Division (my clan server).

EAX is supported by the card though, ali, so why turn it off in game?

I just found EAX a bit problematic with my card, although supported. Used to get funny audio pops with it on. Of course if you are running Vista then EAX is not supported by Vista normally. For the Creative cards you also need to have the ALchemy software installed when using Vista. Don't know about the Auzentech cards.

Edited by aliali