Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
oddman

Q6600 CPU fan speeds way too fast!

Hi all! I have a problem. I took my computer apart to clean it yesterday due to a large amount of dust collecting on the fans making it very noisy. After reinstalling the CPU fan and mucking around with thermal paste for awhile after some initial heat problems, all well. CPU temps are lower than they have ever been at below 50c (Realtemp) and below than 60c (SpeedFan). However now it seems that the CPU fan is going into overdrive. When i first turn on the PC, it hovers at ~2500rpm for awhile and slowly increases. After about half an hour of being on the fan will (i assume) max out at ~4600rpm! Temperatures don't increase much and this is when the system is simply idleing. I cant even imagine what would happen if i applied much load.

So my problem isn't so much that it is overheating. I mean i'm sure the CPU used to get to much higher temperatures (up to 70c) without problems and without excessive fan speeds. The ambient temp here is probably about 25c but it is alot hotter for most of the year.

I'm just looking for a solution to stop my desk vibrating due to that fan going crazy. I can't seem to control the fan speed via SpeedFan and changing bios fan control settings doesn't seem to do anything. Any suggestions from Atomic?

Thanks!

What chip are you running and is that over clocked? Those temps seem high to me.

You can get some fan control software if its AMD, amd overdrive is pretty comprehensive.

But if you start turning the fan down I would keep a close eye on those temps because that seems pretty hot.

I'm running a Intel Quad core Q6600. Depending on what program i use the temps go from around 60 max in idle using SpeedFan to about 45-50 using Real Temp. I realize thats probably hot but i do live in Townsville as well so the ambient temp is relatively hot.

EDIT: And no i'm not overclocking anything.

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by oddman

My guess is the problem is the fan is fast because its so hot,

I should have asked what voltage is it running at, its fairly common that if its on auto it can sometimes be higher then it needs to be.

I am reading that at stock speed these chips can run at 1.2v.

The first thing i would do would be update your bios from your motherboards manufacturer website, download CPU-Z and look at what voltage its running at then try under volting a little in the bios, i read tehy run fine at 1.2v, if its stable maybe its brought the temps down a little and the fan controller will slow the fan down as a result. If this doenst lower your fan speed you can manually turn your fan down but this can cause overheating issues if you take it off auto and your stressing your CPU it could cause instability or damage to your chip. This chip is specified for 61deg c. to be max temp so thats why i feel your temps are high.

::Edit::

you can edit your voltage in the bios its often denoted as "vcore" and is probably sitting at around 1.3v or its on AUTO, if you dont feel comfortable doing this in the bios you can get windows applications that will do it also.

You cant do any damage turning the voltage down other then potentially cause instability if you go too low id start at 1.2 and move up if you notice system crashes or windows wont boot etc.

oh and if you try all this and it doesn't help you post your motherboard and other specs voltage of chip etc.

If you want to see what temps you reach under load download OCCT and run it for an hour good tool to see if your chip is stable at 1.2v also.

Edited by Bundywow

wow that is a HOT Q6600. Mine is overclocked to 3.2Ghz and it idles at 24C and gets up to 40C while running a full load in OCCT... My voltage is at 1.28750.

I recommend you double check your heatsink is installed properly with decent paste. Maybe invest in a TRUE (or other current high-end heatsink) and a scythe/noctua fan.. See what the magazine is currently recommending for air-coolers... I have been out of the loop for a while.

I would especially upgrade your cooling if you live in Townsville..

unfortunatly those temps would be about right, I live on the sunshine coast and the q6600 I used to have would idle in the high 40's with a stock cooler. 0h and @3ghz I had it undervolted to 1.18v, auto voltages suck they always go well higher than necessary

Ahh is see. I've been directing a portable fan into the case too see if the high fan speed is a result of temperature or some other fault. It did actually help to lower the fan speed after a while so i guess the fan is going crazy cos its too hot. Just weird that i don't think it did it before.

I have made sure the heatsink is installed properly. Took me 3 tries to get the right amount of paste and to get the heatsink and fan clipped down correctly... Thanks for the replies, i think i'll look for a better heatsink and fan at some point. All i know now is that my next computer will be built for SILENCE!

hmm ok well at the moment its at 1.248V but it sometimes increases or decreases. Would you recommend trying to set it to 1.2V and see how it goes?

sure you will have to turn it off auto in the bios and set it to 1.2, if the computer doesn't boot you have to reset the cmos. The instructions for resetting the cmos should be on the documentation that came with your laptop or you can get it online from your motherboard manufactorers website. It usually involves either conducting 2 pins with a connector OR removing a battery for 20 or so seconds.

Or you can turn it off auto in the bios and set it to 1.25 and turn it down further in windows to find your lowest stable amount, this way if you go too low its bbck to normal when you restart, once you have found the lowest stable setting set it to that in the bios and your done.

I just went into bios and put it down to 1.225 which was the lowest option it could go which i thought was abit weird. However looking at the voltage from within windows it hovers around 1.16 most of the time going down to 1.144 and up to 1.18 sometimes. Hasn't crashed yet and temps and the fan is abit slower so looking good so far. :) Only time will tell if it stay stable..

Not sure if i want to push my luck. Even if it turns out not to be stable, theres nothing i can do about it until i finish my thesis and decide to rebuild my computer. So some time in the future i'll uber-ise the cooling hurrah!

Thanks!

If its not stable you up the voltage a touch until it runts OCCT for an hour or 2.

But if your just doing study and stuff and had no issues so far you should be fine.

Your computer isn't broken all we mean by stable is sometimes when you under volt you can go too low and you will get crashes until the voltage is put up, some under volting you can get away with without instability.