Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Greaver

Xbox 360 Elite and PS3 same price in USA

Hey peoples

For those that haven't heard yet Microsoft just dropped the price of the 360 Elite in the US to $299, the price of the new PS3 revision.

They have taken the HD cables out too which is quite funny really as that is one of the big things the 360 Fanboi's ramble on about.

Will be very interesting to see how this all affects sales what with the upcoming holiday season and all, I'm not sure as to au/nz pricing yet but in the scheme of sales we don't count for stuff all anyway.

Heres a funny leaked Sony ad about the rumours, its the first video

http://tinyurl.com/nsm2lb

EDIT:

Sorry should have added the arcade is staying at $199 US and the pro is being phased out.

Edited by TheGrEaVeR

WTF that was a bad idea, removing the HD cables. Crappy HDMI goes for $20 retail ffs, and it's not like you need gold-plated silver-conducting pentuple-shielded gear to get a good digital signal.

Still, funny to see the price war continue. Here's hoping they phase out the Arcade and drop the price of the Pro.

sorehead: They're phasing out the Pro and the Elite will be the new "full" model.

No offence, but what do you classify as "full"?

Yes it comes with a 120gb HDD, HDMI, probably one year of gold membership (Don't know) and it's black.

That isn't much extra IMHO (Apart from the HDMI).

What else does it come with that the PRO doesn't?

Now that the newer 360's are meant to be more reliable, I would get one, if it also came with WiFi (Need it at the moment for my house) and Blu Ray (Can never get enough of the quality).

Morris, Do you see as many 360's coming back for repairs these days as say mid last year and earlier?

What's a Xbox 350 Elite?

MuZ_DyL: I've never had one back for the last year. But then again after the 30 day DOA period, customers get it repaired through XBox directly i.e. without going to me. Within the first 30 days I'll swap it over as it's in DOA period.

The Xbox 360s are definitely a lot more reliable than 2 years ago. They had a bad batch of HDDs on top of the Red Ring of Death issue.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. I've only had 1 Xbox 360 die. I've had 2 PS3s so far. Yes I'm on my second Xbox 360 and my third PS3. I guess I'm one of the rare cases.

sorehead: They're phasing out the Pro and the Elite will be the new "full" model.

No offence, but what do you classify as "full"?

Yes it comes with a 120gb HDD, HDMI, probably one year of gold membership (Don't know) and it's black.

That isn't much extra IMHO (Apart from the HDMI).

What else does it come with that the PRO doesn't?

ALL Xbox 360 consoles (Arcade, Pro, Elite) come with HDMI port.

Also, all consoles come with a free 1 month Xbox live gold subscription for the first 3 accounts created on the console.

'bout time they simplified things. It'd be nice if there were a "clearance" price on the Pros though - don't need 120GB of space, or for the thing to be black.

'bout time they simplified things. It'd be nice if there were a "clearance" price on the Pros though - don't need 120GB of space, or for the thing to be black.

I reckon eBay would be a goldmine for cheap Pro models when the elite drops price.

At this point the PS3 is a much better deal than the 360. MS charge like a wounded bull for accessories, before the PS3 price drop you could justify it but now you just can't. I think it's a dunder headed move on both companies part not to include a HDMI cable, all the hype of HD gaming is utterly lost with composite cabling for both systems. The only area you can say the 360 is better is the online service, otherwise the PS3 matches or exceeds it from a value stand point.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again. I've only had 1 Xbox 360 die. I've had 2 PS3s so far. Yes I'm on my second Xbox 360 and my third PS3. I guess I'm one of the rare cases.

heh, my 20gb pro was manufactured 4 months after the australian release, hasnt had a single issue or failure yet. the only reason i have an elite is cause its black. the other xbox is in the spare room. hell the only console i had die on me was a ps2, and that was a launch console that died on the day gta:vc came out.

for what its worth, i bought my elite when the new jasper cores came out. i paid 380 bucks. brand new. from a major retailer. sif pay retail.

I've taken the liberty of fixing up the title -- if you really did mean to write "Xbox 350" let me know and I'll change it back.

Thank you