Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Chazzozz

Anyone preordered Halo 3: ODST?

My son preordered his a couple of months back and is eagerly anticipating the 22 September release. I'm not quite as excited about it, but I must admit I'm looking forward to Firefight. I think that'll be worth a bit of game-time.

After having a chat with the local Gametraders guys I've got the feeling that this is going to be waaayyy less popular than Halo 3 was. So, anyone else preordered yet? Looking forward to it?

Edited by Chazzozz

Everyone is waiting for MC2. I have absolutely no interest in ODST and I've gotten the last two Halo FPS on launch day, just being pickier with the games I grab now.

Don't like paying the full preorder price so will probably pick it up in the first week from where ever is the cheapest.

The Halo series is one of my all time favourites, so this is a must buy.

Actually just playing through Halo 1 campaign (for like the 50th time) with a friend on legendary at the moment and having a freaking blast - so much fun!!

And no Aki, everyone is NOT waiting for MC2 - the original was decidedly average - hopefully they do a better job with the sequel...

Edited by Lord-Ezekiel

The shockpack has been a huge hit (it's a cheap second 360 controller if nothing else), and just general ODST preorders have been big as well.

I dunno why, if you ask me I think ODST is just Halo 3 with different colours, but meh to the series anyway... Besides, when MS put me in a room with playable versions of both Forza 3 and ODST, it was easy to not give a shit about another fucking shooter, and instead, give a shit about another fucking racer :)

And Aki is on the money with the MW2 thing; it feels like everyone from the developer/publisher down is afraid to do anything (announce a release date, release a game, preorder a game or buy a game) within about 3 weeks either side of the launch date of MW2. Having said that, ODST is big enough to stand amongst such heralded release datery.

Edited by elfinke

I pre-ordered 2 months ago, for the extra controller.

Can't wait for September 22 :)

I did not preorder because Halo is another Halo to me but that is just me I suppose, when it comes down to half price that's when ill get it :)

Definitely want this game, but with so much on the horizon, including a new Call of Duty, a Halo spinoff has to wait :/

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is ODST? I know I could google it, but you know what, I don't feel like it. Is it an expansion, new game, different genre?

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is ODST? I know I could google it, but you know what, I don't feel like it. Is it an expansion, new game, different genre?

It fills in the gap between the Covenant cruiser leaving New Mombassa in Halo 2, and when Master Chief returns to Earth in Halo 3.

A semi-prequel if you will.

It fills in the gap between the Covenant cruiser leaving New Mombassa in Halo 2, and when Master Chief returns to Earth in Halo 3.

add to that no biologically enhanced chucknorris crossed with steven segal protagonist just real humans. Edited by nesquick

Hmm... storyline wise it might be worth a look. In terms of gameplay, I can't say that playing anyone other than MC would be enlightening in the slightest.

So basically its the story before Halo 3 and fills in the missing gaps after Halo 2? Sounds good, great game-play from what I hear but I am more interested in the storyline. Halo Wars was pretty decent so I can expect ODST to do the same, just hope its different to the other Halo games otherwise it will be pretty average 'obviously' :P

If you want a full rundown of the story behind ODST then head over to Halopedia and read the article. It sounds like you get to experience the Halo universe through the eyes of regular Marine troops rather than just Officers and MC.

As for gameplay, it's going to be a lot more tactical. Like nesquick said, you're not a walking tank, you're a normal human (albeit with some cool toys like powered armour) with normal abilites. Therefore 'run & gun' will not be the order to of the day; I'm expecting something more along the lines of Thief where you have to vewy, vewy qwiet if you want to catch the wascally wabbit. You play mostly as one character, but also get to briefly take on the role of other characters and use their specialiased skills. I think this is more to advance the story rather than enhance gameplay.

I reckon the gold nugget of this one will be Firefight which is a new mode where successive waves of enemies attack in greater numbers and difficulty. AFAIK this is the only multiplayer mode, where up to 3 can join in. Here's a quote lifted from the above-linked Halopedia page:

"In Firefight, even the most 'harmless' enemy can become a dangerous threat when you’re low on ammo, low on lives, and have your back against the wall. Throw gameplay modifying skulls into the mix and you'll find that the combat can become even more interesting and intense."

Edited by Chazzozz

I guess we have to wait on a demo only then we should be really deciding.

Ill still be getting it, but when its cheaper (If it stays at $99 then fuck it.)

"In Firefight, even the most 'harmless' enemy can become a dangerous threat when you’re low on ammo, low on lives, and have your back against the wall. Throw gameplay modifying skulls into the mix and you'll find that the combat can become even more interesting and intense."

Didn't Gears of War 2 have something like that?

Actually, Left 4 Dead also added this in one of their updates a few months back.

Didn't Gears of War 2 have something like that?

Actually, Left 4 Dead also added this in one of their updates a few months back.

It seems there's a trend that's starting to occur

Yeah I pre ordered a few months ago, Im a sucker for Halo games and the fact you get to play as an ODST (my favourite characters from the Halo Universe) is even better.

Cannot wait.. Its such a good/bad time to be a gamer MW2, Badlands, HALO ODST my poor wallet is going to explode!

ODST interests me, but not enough to pre-order, even with the pre order unlocks you get.

I like the angle it is taking what with the focus on a central hub rather than linear movement through the game as well as being no where near as powerful etc... stealth and ambush are more of a focus this time around rather than the run and gun Halo was/is.

Those that say it is just a re-badged Halo should really check their facts about what the game is trying to achieve.

As far as MW2 is concerned. I'll grab it from EB, if I don't like it in the first week I'll take it back, like I did with the first MW.

Halo fans and film fans check this. Halo3: ODST live action PAX tralier http://bit.ly/zPPrg (HD) Amazing. Neill Blomkamp style! Haunting!!

Now THAT is a live action short right there :)

Massive grin on my face and Massive credit to all the people who worked on it.

I just want one of those ODST Armours right now :)

Halo fans and film fans check this. Halo3: ODST live action PAX tralier http://bit.ly/zPPrg (HD) Amazing. Neill Blomkamp style! Haunting!!

Ah yeah, that was awesome. I betcha MS are still kicking themselves for not letting them make that Halo movie. Especially after the response to District 9 and what they achieved on such a small budget.