relativenewbie

Looking For Help With Pc/home Theatre Audio.

Hi.

First off, with the redesign of the site i wasn't sure if this was the right place to be posting these questions, sorry if it is in the wrong place.

My previous home theatre system has finally died after 3 years. It was cheap and nasty (cost me $100), and was really a waste of time using.

Now that I have my PS3 and my PC (designed by atomicans) connected to my 55in bravia TV i was looking at a significant upgrade for my new audio system.

My target to spend is $1200, give or take a little bit, and all the shop assistants so far have been pretty useless at suggesting a decent system for that price.

I had been initially looking at the The SONY Muteki 7.2 (~$1100)

http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Hifi_And_Hom...iPOD_DOCK/25855

However recently i have been seeing 5.1 Amplifiers and 2 speakers for around $600 which i could probably add a sub and satellite speakers for another $600.

For example the Onkyo and wharfedale system in JB HIFI

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theatre/systems/

Does anyone have any ideas on whether the muteki is actually as good value as some people say, or if it would make more sense purchasing an amp and speakers separately?

Also what other systems would you recommend in this price range?

Hopefully there is someone out there who can help.

Thanks

relativenewbie

the muteki is loud, thats all it has going for it.

what i would do if i were you is walk into a jb with ~1500 bucks, and say you want a yamaha rxv563 and a set of definitive technology ProCinema60 sub/sat pack and cables.

the best thing about that set up is, your ps3 decodes the hd audio codecs so you dont need an amp that does it. the def techs kill the muteki set up (i mean seriously, you get an amp that cost 500 bucks, 2 subs and 7 sepeakers, gotta cut corners somewhere). the yamaha is a 7.1 amp, so if you want a more musical front end later on, you can go ahead and buy a nice pair of floorstanders to go with the def techs. the def techs are an awesome sounding sub sat pack, solid with music, and you wont really be giving much away next to the muteki system, kick ass with movies, and can take a decent power load too.

for 1500 bucks, its the setup i recommend every time.

its offensive to look at and offensive to listen too. 1500 bucks can get you something better

Thats the muteki, and it doesn't sound bad. Maybe spend the hour or so to tune and break it in, I know, I own one...

Yes it's entry level, that said, it's good for what it does.

Hi thanks for the quick replies

"for 1500 bucks, its the setup i recommend every time."

i'm assuming you are referring to your comment, "what i would do if i were you is walk into a jb with ~1500 bucks, and say you want a yamaha rxv563 and a set of definitive technology ProCinema60 sub/sat pack and cables. "

I loved the idea of having those massive muteki speakers placed around the room, but as many people have said, the sound apparently isn't all that great.

I am having trouble finding any reference to ProCinema60, the closest i could find was the ProCinema 600 which i assume is what you meant.

I'm going to have a look at the amp and speakers you suggested.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

relativenewbie

I personally wouldnt buy a pre-build hi-fi system.. something like that you would mix and match to your own liking.

personally, I would measure the size of your room which will be housing the system. check the space you have.

also loud dont mean good, when too loud, sound bounces off the wall and just create headaches literally.

check and find out what you want in terms of speakers setup. do you need 7.1, 7.2, 6.1, 5.1, etc. what are you playing, what are you doing?

most blu ray stuff are encoded in dolby Digital plus. and only few titles that have pure DD+ are in PCM form, which you will need HDMI version 1.3 connection.

think of the source you using, dont want to waste 7.2 setting when all you do is watch DVDs and play a few console games, is overkill and waste of money.

cinema sound setup can be awesome if giving the right medium to play on, but can be useless with playing music, as the other speakers are wasted.

and last thing, I rather spend the big bucks on the speakers than any amps.

Something to consider also or rather tips.

* Cherry-picking the front, center, surround, and subwoofer speakers, you can better select the solution that meets your precise needs.

* Center speakers are the trickiest, mismatching the left-center-right speakers can result in jarring timbre shifts when the sound is panned across the front three speakers. matching surround speakers is less or a problem, but in any case, try to arrange a home audition or hear it in store.

* Picking same-brand speakers of a given vintage will sonically match and you can match large and small speakers in one system.

* PIcking a sub woofer is pretty easy, is a pretty safe bet going with the same brand. also one rule of thumb is to mate small sats with small subs, like if the sats have 4-inch or smaller woofers, stick with a fairly small sub with an 8-inch woofer. Larger sats will do their best with larger subs that have 10- or 12-inch woofers. note some subwoofers are better suited to providing home-theater oomph than musical bass. home-theater bombast can be more of a quantity over quality issue, but some very musical subs lack the gravitas (THX anyone) necessary for maximum home-theater impact. Of course, models that excel on both are expensive.

* If you're going to listen to more music than watch movies, focus your speaker budget on the best left-/right-front speakers you can afford: 30 to 40 percent of the whole enchilada up front. when the balance shifts over to more movies than music, distribute the budget equally over the 5.1 or 6.1 speakers.

* For center speakers matching the treble/midrange/bass balance of the center channel to the front speakers is key, and secondly, if the left/right speakers are fairly large, try to get the largest possible center speaker. try not to rely on the sub to provide the bass for the center speaker. small center speakers always sound, well, small.

* For the surround speakers

1. Monopole

These are your typical conventional surround speaker looks very much like a standard satellite speaker. these monopole speakers aim the sound straight ahead. most HTIBs and entry-level speaker packages use this type of surround speaker. They will also work well in higher-end systems and SACD/DVD-Audio-oriented music-surround systems.

2. Dipole/bipole

Dipole/bipole speakers are designed to push sound out to the sides. the distinctive V-shaped front panels make them easy to identify. these speakers create a more diffuse surround sound than the monopoles. they're best suited to movies and less desirable for multichannel music.

* Setting it all up!!!!

Before you buy any speaker wires, place the speakers and the receiver in the positions where they're likely to wind up, then carefully measure the distances. Remember to measure up and over door frames or windows. just to be on the safe side, add at least two extra feet to each cable run.

If you need to run long (more than 5-6 meters) lengths between the receiver and the speakers, try to get at least 16-gauge wire (the lower the number, the thicker the wire). specialty brands of speaker wire are more expensive but may deliver slightly better sound quality over longer distances.

Hope this help!! :)