Storage Poll  

76 members have voted

1. 1. So how much usagable storage do you have hiding in the case?

• Less than 500GB
    • Between 500GB and 1TB
    • Between 1TB and 1.5TB
    • Between 1.5TB and 2TB
    • Between 2TB and 2.5TB
    • Between 2.5TB and 3TB
    • Between 3TB and 3.5TB
    • Between 3.5TB and 4TB
    • Between 4TB and 5TB
    • Between 5TB and 6TB
    • Over 6TB
    • It's not about size but rather speed, SDD all the way!!

This is my stats brain ticking over here but its funny how the graph is skewed to the right I was expecting an even distribution coming into the poll.

Perhaps representing a 'gamer' sample, as opposed to us 'leech whore's'.

yea thats a good conclusion.

I can never remember if it's positively or negatively skewed when it's to the right

About 3.2TB of fuc$ing awesome sitting in my home ZFS box, comprised of Samsung eco-style drives (1TB), in a RAIDZ1 config.

z

3x St31000333AS's 1tb drive (raid 5)

1x Samsung HD75LJ 750gb OS drive (Full of Vmwares)

WD1001FALS (1tb Black edition) Data/ Programs

As I understood the topic there it was the main machine I use which has little substanial storage in it because I have moved everything to my Home NAS. Just some Raptors for main drives and some 640GB drives for temp storage to be moved to the NAS.

Once the new NAS gets finished the storage in it really can't be satisfied with any of those poll options. We can be gamers and leech whores too. Data, precious, precious data...

I have five 1TBs and a 500 in my PC, and another 500 in an external case. I could actually shoehorn it in there if could be bothered, but stupid power cables on the graphics card take up tons of space. I have some 250s somewhere, but they're so small I hardly care. So I've got around 6-7TB all up, but probably only formats to about 6.

I have a habit of ripping DVDs and Blu Rays, so I eat space pretty quick. Thankfully I have no income, so I haven't been able to buy more Blu Rays, and hence fill my disks.

I also don't have the net at home, and haven't been to a LAN for about a year, so that's a few more things that give my space some... space.

I'm thinking of getting some 2TB drives to replace my 500s, but they're too expensive atm, and having no money also hinders that line of thinking.

In the future, I'd like to build a sort of triple PC storage system, with uber-budget boxes filled for four or so 2TBs each. One for Blu Ray and DVD rips, one for other, smaller video (I'm thinking up to those 1-2GB HD files), and the other system for everything else, like music, pics, games, etc. It's a much cheaper and safer way of amassing a huge amount of storage than building one uber server with 20 disks in it.

Of course, I'll need a job to get that started... Internet would be nice too... Telstra...

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

I don't have a rig now... :(

GOOORNN!!

Get outa here!

you're a hard man, Logic

It's coming Logic... When I finish my HSC... (Year 12 exams)

@ Osama... Yeah, Logic is like the biggest gangster... But he plays the Logic song when he rolls out on the street.

I mean... I have lots of random parts lying around... I can make a build, except I'll be missing some RAM.

its all in my sig but hey whatever

smallest to largest

WD raptor - 36Gb

Maxtor - 200Gb

WD - 320Gb

WD[green] - 750Gb

ah free about 38Gb, but im going to add a another 1Tb + a 160Gb or 320Gb soon

i'd add my DVD's but i cant do the maths.

In my desktop 400+500+1000. Couple of spares lying around and a 1TB external.

External storage seems pointless since there only really me and I only have the desktop and a netbook.

I've got 6 drives, I'm throwing them all out and starting again with 2 raptors in raid0 and a 1tb storage drive (mebbe 2 of them)

I've got 6 drives, I'm throwing them all out and starting again with 2 raptors in raid0 and a 1tb storage drive (mebbe 2 of them)

Would an SSD be cheaper/simpler, not to mention quieter/cooler/less power hungry than 2 raptors?

2 X 750 WD's I chucked an old 250 IDE in last weekend from a 3+ year old rig that blew up there was some awesome stuff on that :)

I needa get rid of some rars

Server's are too useful, haven't really used local storage for a while.

Posted Image

9* 1.5tb mdadm raid 6 currently, mostly old crap i never like to delete. Maybe try zfs one day, when/if raid expansion works etc.

Edited by illdrift

Posted Image

9* 1.5tb mdadm raid 6 currently, mostly old crap i never like to delete. Maybe try zfs one day, when/if raid expansion works etc.

Holy-Ding-Dong-Daddy!

How could you use all that?

I struggle to use more than 200GB with my 1TB drive >_>

I'd like to get a storage server going at home, just a matter of getting my main rig back up and running first -- then finding the money, then the parts and then the time... >_>

Got about ~1.5TB in the main one, and just a few hundred GB in the old one I'm currently using.

Posted Image

Holy-Ding-Dong-Daddy!

How could you use all that?

I struggle to use more than 200GB with my 1TB drive >_>

How? Phat pipes and "hullo, Uncle T".

:P

That is a nice fat whack of space, i must say, illdrift.

But a bunch of 1:1 HD-DVD or BluRay movie/TV-series rips, and you'd be filling it up in no time. :p

Oh, and lots of HD pron.

:D

-A-

I have a 250GB sata for my OS

750GB sata sitting there doing nothing in the case

2 x 1.5TB sata for storing files of varying sizes...

Edited by lunchbox1988

845 gig, going by formatted sizes of a 160 gig WD, 250 gig WD and a 500 gig Samsung

size of storage by the touted capacity of the drives? - 910

so 65 gig lost in format