huntedwumpus

So... Whos going to play Borderlands?

I don't like the idea of not being able to create my own character, and having to play a personality not of my own, but if done well I suppose I could enjoy it. Apart from that, it does look a mighty tempting game.

Yeah, those are pretty much my issues too- I prefer to create my own character in RPGs rather than play somebody else's. Not that it'll keep me from enjoying it if the game is awesomely done, but it's a shame.

I don't like the idea of not being able to create my own character, and having to play a personality not of my own, but if done well I suppose I could enjoy it. Apart from that, it does look a mighty tempting game.

Yeah, those are pretty much my issues too- I prefer to create my own character in RPGs rather than play somebody else's. Not that it'll keep me from enjoying it if the game is awesomely done, but it's a shame.

I was skeptical of this aspect as well, hopefully the story within each character will be compelling enough to make it worthwhile. It could make it a lot more interesting with a predefined character.

Or it could be much more boring..

cant wait to try it though

I was skeptical of this aspect as well, hopefully the story within each character will be compelling enough to make it worthwhile. It could make it a lot more interesting with a predefined character.

Or it could be much more boring..

cant wait to try it though

Watching interviews, I wouldn't get too excited about the RPG elements.

FPS with a little RPG tacked on is the way they've descripted it. Not the other way around.

Well, people wanted this sorta stuff in L4D. Each L4D character has exactly the same stats as the others, only differing in model and voice files.

I'd probably play L4D more if each character had perks, and you could level up your skills and weapons.

I guess this is the appeal of Borderlands.

Well, people wanted this sorta stuff in L4D. Each L4D character has exactly the same stats as the others, only differing in model and voice files.

I'd probably play L4D more if each character had perks, and you could level up your skills and weapons.

I guess this is the appeal of Borderlands.

Hey, I agree.

I just think if you go in expecting a deep and complex story, fleshed out character history and a deep and complex skill tree.. you'll be disappointed.

Personally, I think borderlands is shaping up to be a sleeper hit! ;) Just wish theyd' release the damn thing on Steam :)

I agree, however I think the limitation of that would have been the fact that you cant really *choose* which character to use, its first in best dressed, and if one character was better than the other or did something that was more fun than another character, then people would only want to play that character. However, it still could have worked if they had chosen classes instead, so you could have a medic, a heavy weapons guy, a fast/agile kinda guy and an inbetween, all rounder.

As for borderlands, I dont know SFA about the game, and I intend to keep it that way, I'll take a quick browse of the IGN review before I decide to buy, but thats about it.

All I know so far is that its open world and set in mad max style america? And has coop.

Win.

Oh, and cell shading too. I accidentall saw some screenshots.

I played this last night at the Power to the PC gig in Sydney.

And it's unreal.

I'm in on this for sure.

And it's unreal.

I'm in on this for sure.

Awesome. Cant wait!

If it's even half as good as Fallout 3, then I am sold.

The co-op I played suggests yes. I'd like to say single player is that good but I need to try it first.

And it's unreal.

I'm in on this for sure.

Can you give us any info on what it was like? whats a game that it feels similar too?

Anyone else who went to the event that got to play that can give us some hints?

Well...I'll be playing it on my X360 a week before you PC owners as it's release date's slipped.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/09/pc-versio...rlands-delayed/

The 360 and PS3 versions of Gearbox’s shooter Borderlands are coming along nicely, and are still expected on October 20. But the PC version, well, it’s slipped a little.

Because Gearbox are “optimizing the PC version”, a process “which takes a few days longer than expected”, the North American release of the PC version of the game will be out on October 26. For those outside North America, this means their version has dropped back to October 30.

Well...I'll be playing it on my X360 a week before you PC owners as it's release date's slipped.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/09/pc-versio...rlands-delayed/

The 360 and PS3 versions of Gearbox’s shooter Borderlands are coming along nicely, and are still expected on October 20. But the PC version, well, it’s slipped a little.

Because Gearbox are “optimizing the PC version”, a process “which takes a few days longer than expected”, the North American release of the PC version of the game will be out on October 26. For those outside North America, this means their version has dropped back to October 30.

wow.. not what i wanted to hear... lol at least its only a week

Had a crack at the 360 version at Gen Con Bris (a couple of days before atomic /snicker). Not bad.

My usual gamming mate has the 360 preordered so I've put in for that as well.

Woot, This is on my have to have a bash list :P

I dunno why but I LOVE cel shaded games lately (If done with HQ), and I watched some vids, read around.

Seems very interesting and Will be buying this one, hope i come across some of yas :)

Check out the thousand yard stare at 2:45.

*nyuk nyuk nyuk*

lol at 2:45 indeed, hollingworth's into it!

I personally played borderlands at the power to the pc event @ UTS sydney and i loved it!

played it for ages as the shotgun dude, got as far as ninetoes (3balls lol) in questing, got to character level 5 but forgot to invest points into the skill system lol oopsie! also shield system is very handy!

the depth of the weapon customisation is crazy i had shotgun with damage bonus, melee bonus cos it had like a bayonet on it, one with a sight w/ slightly higher accuracy etc.

but the coolest gun i found was a sidearm that was red, had knives on it (melee attack was to stab with it), it was semi-auto and it SET STUFF ON FIRE OMFG!

in conclusion, a very awesome game indeed and i am planning to buy it on pc.

anymore question about the game feel free to point it at me in this thread or pm me!

big thanks to atomic for the event too!

Check out the thousand yard stare at 2:45.

*nyuk nyuk nyuk*

lol at 2:45 indeed, hollingworth's into it!

I personally played borderlands at the power to the pc event @ UTS sydney and i loved it!

played it for ages as the shotgun dude, got as far as ninetoes (3balls lol) in questing, got to character level 5 but forgot to invest points into the skill system lol oopsie! also shield system is very handy!

the depth of the weapon customisation is crazy i had shotgun with damage bonus, melee bonus cos it had like a bayonet on it, one with a sight w/ slightly higher accuracy etc.

but the coolest gun i found was a sidearm that was red, had knives on it (melee attack was to stab with it), it was semi-auto and it SET STUFF ON FIRE OMFG!

in conclusion, a very awesome game indeed and i am planning to buy it on pc.

anymore question about the game feel free to point it at me in this thread or pm me!

big thanks to atomic for the event too!

how was the AI? did the enemies use cover and make themselves hard to hit? or did they just stand in the open.

how difficult did the game seem? did you die at all? was the boss fight a challenge?

how was the AI? did the enemies use cover and make themselves hard to hit? or did they just stand in the open.

how difficult did the game seem? did you die at all? was the boss fight a challenge?

1. The ai would dodge and use cover (They ran away too sometimes) - they also seek you out if you try to take cover, which was annoying with poor hp/shielding at the start of the game but sure does add to the immersion factor of the game's reality.

2. The game was a lil difficult at the start but i was learning my way around the control layout, once id played for about an hour or so it did get easier understanding the game better obviously, but it still did challenge appropriately (the gun that set enemies on fire HELPED ALOT though).

3. I died plenty of times, when you "die" you'd get transported back to the entry of the map via this trippy portal (it also takes money from you - calls it a transportation fee lol), thank god most maps are not too big so its usually a small walk through the map to get back into action!

4.the boss fight was quite challenging, everyone in the party died at least once (this can be blamed on lack of control knowledge) my count was three times because i ran in straight away like a crazy man though and would get bombarded by skaag' jumping on me

so how does it compare to L4D?

Have not had extensive time with either but from what I've watched and played I prefer BL. L4D has it's own dark style and is fine for what it is but I prefer the open areas and the larger char and gear modding of BL. Both can induce a frenetic panic inducing atmosphere at times.