Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
SnowSquirrel

What portable console do you use?

Basically I'm in the market for a portable console, with absolutely no idea what I want. Which is where you trusty smart folk come in!

So I figured I'd ask 3 simple questions -

What portable console do you use?

What is currently keeping you entertained on it?

What games have you thoroughly enjoyed (that you may now be sick of)?

I'd have to say that my DS gets more of a work out then my PSP. Both are great, but the DS Games just seem to be more fun. I own too many games to single one out. But currently GTA - China Town Wars is keeping me occupied. Before that it was Pokemon :)

I've had two PSP's. Got bored of them and sold them, that's why I've had two :P Bought one, got bored. Bought another, got bored.

I LOVE my DS.

Mario Kart is EPIC!

Pokemon is awesome.

Metroid Prime Hunters is good.

That is all.

Go for the DSLite over the DSi.

I found the Lite has better battery and is has the cart slot.

The Dsi has wanky cameras and that's it.

I have 2 PSPs, a DS Lite and I recently gave away my Gameboy Micro. I also have a PSP Go! on the way when they are released.

Currently playing my DS more. Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest JRPGs ever created. Professor Layton and the Curious Village has some awesome puzzles and a great story. Mario Kart is great. So is New Super Mario Bros.

In fact JB Hifi are selling the red Mario DS Lite with New Super Mario Bros and an accessory pack for $178.

Definitely looking forward to Scribblenauts when it comes out mid September.

I still use my PSP though. Tomorrow I will be getting Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Fighting game that has characters from the last 20 years of Final Fantasy games).

Later I'll have Gran Turismo PSP (Played this at a conference and enjoyed it). Tekken 5 is good fun too. Loco Roco is a must on the PSP.

The new Prof Layton game looks to be more of the same. Which is what I was hoping for. Played a little at my conference, but there wasn't enough time to try it properly.

Got a DS first - years ago. Played the hell out of:

New Super Mario Bros (if you ever liked the nes/snes mario, it's awesome)

Mario Kart (more awesome)

Puzzle Quest

Yoshi's Island

Mario & Luigi Partners in time (well made, and for a kiddie game it was a surprisingly fun, if simple, rpg-lite)

Bomberman

Classic SF2 on GBA

Still heaps of other DS titles I want to check out too.

Since getting a PSP, played the hell out of:

Final Fantasy Tactics (loved that game)

Disgaea (pure addiction)

Patapon

LocoRoco

Burnout (can't remember which)

Metal Slug

Final Fantasy: Crisis Core

Tekken

And now the iPhone:

GeoDefense (brilliant game)

Fieldrunners

CivRev

Reign of Swords

etc... (other small games)

-

I kinda rate the DS and PSP equally these days. The DS is a good choice because it's cheaper, has more software, a better range of games, higher ranking games, and is easier to carry. The PSP on the other hand has awesome portable media playback, some real interesting peripherals, and (imo) plenty of really good games of its own.

I almost only ever use the iPhone lately though because it's just always there. I have to specifically remember to take the PSP/DS somewhere if I know I'll have some time to kill, but always got my phone, so keeping it stocked up on the latest games is a no brainer.

iPhone games are also cheap as chips. Usually they're shit, but some games are aren't shit at all, and still cheap as chips. Win.

Edited by xfu

I've spent more time playing my PSP than the DS, but purely because of homebrew. Aside from homebrew, my PSP never gets used (FF:Dissidia just hasn't grabbed me at all this last week or so... And despite a stunning game to look at, the new Soul Calibur is a bit meh as well - I think I'm just a bit jaded at the moment).

Leaving that aside, as everyone else has said, the DS has a kick arse library of games. I'll just '+1' to everyone else suggestions. Mario Kart is simply fantastic, and as mentioned above, GOTY Scribblenauts is out very soon.

However, the one big caveat I have to add is that I play more games more often, on my iPhone than on the DS and PSP combined. Tap Defence, Field Runners, Connect4, iChess - the list of free and <$5 games are long and worthy!

I will be picking up a DSL shortly, thanks to JB's bundle sale and the upcoming Scribblenauts. Had a DSPhat for a while but had to sell it, have been missing it ever since!

I find myself playing games on my phone - mostly basic stuff like Minesweeper and Sudoku. But FWIW Massive Snowboarding is surprisingly enjoyable, given the inherent control limitations of the N95. I guess it helps that I'm a snowboarding-game fan, but still - good stuff!

I want a DSPhat. Portable audio processing headwear...

Seriously. I know it's a typo, but I totally want one.

I have a modded PSP, haven't played a single official game on it. It's basically just a mega drive and SNES emulator and I love it to bits.

I think it's funny that most (it seems) of the people on this forum who have PSPs actually use them mostly to play old Sega and Nintendo games.

I don't really use my PSP. Modded it because I could, used it as a ebook reader.

Meant to be going on a road trip next week end, might use it on my stints in the passenger seat.

I just bought psp today with Metal gear solid portable ops and God of War. Planning on getting Gran turismo and Little Big Planet when they come out.

I'm ordering my Dingoo A320 today :D

I don't use my Dingoo nearly as much as my homebrewed PSP... but then again, I paid for my PSP, and was given the Dingoo, so naturally feel compelled to use the PSP more. /shrug. Nevertheless, the Dingoo is a sweet piece of pie!

Having said all of that, the amount of time I actually spend playing anything handheld (with my hands out of my pocket) is such a small amount anyway, to render it moot.

Edited by elfinke

I use my PSP more than the DS. The DS is my sis' domain. Mostly, I'm playing MGS: Portable Ops or Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII. There is the odd occasion when I use it for emulation such as Metal Slug and as well as the KOF 2002.

I can honestly say that I use my GBA more than my PSP and DS. I just prefer it, it is easily held, comfortable, doesn't wiegh too much and doesn't strain the yes. Awesome hand held. I think it may tip though when I get Scribblenauts.

I use the iPod touch most for portable gaming these days. It's a good size, doesn't require separate games and has a selection of games suitable for quick games and longer sessions. Games like Drop 7, Spider and Space Invaders: Infinity Gene would be considered good games on any system.

The DS is still my favorite system this generation, but now I mostly play it when I'm at home. It still gets more use than my other consoles.

Just got my DS yesterday with NSMB. Had a great time on the bus this morning, looking forward to some more fun tiems when I get around to stopping by GameTraders for some GBA classics (they have a copy of Advance Wars ... mmm...). Castlevania, Scribblenauts, Mario Kart are all on the cards. Now there are three DS (four, if you count the one with the borked mic) in the house, gonna be fun tiems ahead!

Props to GBASP as well - FF:Tactics GBA sucked up something like 170 hours of my life on that machine.

I mentioned before that there was a DS Lite Bundle at work. That finished today. As of tomorrow it goes back up in price.

NSMB is awesome isn't it thesorehead :)

Best Mario game in recent times.