Sign in to follow this  
DonutKing

Didn't get a TF2 halo?

If you aren't already aware, there was recently an update to TF2 that has introduced a "halo" wearable hat for all classes, given to everyone who didn't use Drunken Fool's idler program to unlock weapons and hats.

The normal way to get weapons and hats was to simply play and you would get them randomly. That's it. You could get weapons by doing achievements but hats were what a lot of people wanted and there was like a 1.5% chance on any given day that you would get a hat. (For the record, hats are purely cosmetic. They do nothing other than sit on your characters head- you can't even see your own hat while you play). So people used to join servers and just leave it connected all day while they were out. Drunken Fool created a small program that connected to a "fake" server he setup so you didn't actually have to run the game and render all the graphics to idle, so you could save power while you weren't at home or not using the computer, or even play other games while idling.

After several months Valve has suddenly decided (without prior warning) that this is a no-no. Anybody who used this idler program will lose all their hats and weapons they obtained while idling, and everybody who didn't use it gets a halo hat. Rather than fix their retarded item distribution system they have decided to make scapegoats out of people who wanted what Valve have been taunting them with in the last 2 major updates who were unable to get the hats normally and simply made use of a "gray area" to try and obtain them. (The game's EULA was modified after the last update to make the idler against the ToS).

Of course there has been drama. There are reports of false positives- people who didn't use the idler losing stuff, people who DID idle getting the halo, etc. It has divided the community- there are even players who play Medic and won't heal other players with a halo and vice versa. Just mentioning a halo in game chat will unleash a torrent of whiny drama.

Personally, I haven't seen anything on my account yet but I used the idler for like 5 days (didn't get anything new , deleted everything it gave me because it was all duplicates) so I will probably miss out on the halo. To be honest I don't really care as I think the halo is ugly and really doesn't fit with the game's visual style. Plus, well, nearly everyone has one so they aren't really anything special. But I won't hold it against other players if they are wearing one.

But, if you are like me and are sick of the holier-than-thou arseholes with a halo spamming in-game chat with inane bullshit about cheating and so forth, worry no more:

Posted Image

A replacement model for the Halo. Get it here!

Of course others won't be able to see it unless they have the mod installed but it makes the game slightly more bearable :)

Why are you crying that you didn't get a halo? it's purely a cosmetic thing.

I think it's much of a muchness really.

And I've killed a few cloaked spies cos their halo still glows.

I don't think it's fair for people to idle, either the old fashioned way, or using an external program, to get hats. Just play the bloody game.

I only have one hat + the halo anyway.

Why are you crying that you didn't get a halo? it's purely a cosmetic thing.

I'm not crying, I even said as much in my post. You can read can't you?

I really do think they don't go well with the style of the game. Even if I did have one I wouldn't wear it.

Vavle has made a mess of things with its item drop system and rather than address these issues they've divided the community. The steam forums look like a bomb has hit them.

I played last night and I might as well not have bothered, there were people arguing over chat about halo haves/have nots plus the whole medics only healing those with halos/without halos etc.

Halos can be seen on cloaked spies, and seem to make headshotting easier.

Keep wearing them. I won't, because I'm a proud and filthy idler.

Even worse then usual believe it or not. (It's a whiny drama-fest at the best of times but its seriously bad now).

Posted Image

Call me immature but this is some of the funniest shit I've seen in-game since I started playing TF2. It's hilarious listening to some whiny nasal 12 year old giving a sermon about cheating with "FAG" above his head =D

Halos can be seen on cloaked spies, and seem to make headshotting easier.

yup, bagged a few cloaked spies last night...

My son told about this the other night (he was an idler) and to me it sounds funny. Its certainly injected a lot of enthusiasm into the game.

Apparently, groups are forming, aligned to either idlers or halo'ers, and the whole community is becoming divided. My son has joined a group called dirty idlers, and they are making a point of giving the halo wearers a hard time. It seems though discrimination based on the hat you wear is already appearing now...

To me this is real funny shit. Bring it on 8-)

[words]

So, the community is divided between people who think cheating is evil, and people who think cheating is some sort of right?

...and I thought the DotA tweenies were bad.

DonutKing, as retarded as the item distribution system is, someone old enough to be playing the game should have the moral sense to work inside the system.

...and for hats FFS... seriously....

Edited by SquallStrife

I was commenting more on Valve's poor handling of the whole situation and the effect it has had on the community than trying to argue for or against the legitimacy of idling for items. It doesn't help that Valve knew about the idler for 3/4 months and ignored it until now.

That and I saw this mod on another forum and thought it was funny, and wanted to share it here... I don't want to open a can of worms.

Edited by DonutKing

I know dude, I was just saying that it's pretty funny that people are cut about being punished for cheating. I just put your name there cause it was directed at what you posted, not you personally! :)

Valve always seem to be slow to the table at handling this sort of thing. You'd think that the time spent would mean it was done right when it eventuated, but as you say, people have been fouled in both camps...

Who cares? I'm always fething medic and I don't care if you have a pretty hat or not. You need healing and that's that.

I think it's funny they forgot the spies, managed to headshot a few cloaked spies last night.

And I'm fairly certain the idling thing started very soon after the random item drops thing was announced, because people were already leaving their computers logged onto servers as spectators to exploit that particular vulnerability. Hence the morning I started playing the Spy Vs Sniper update, some people already had everything.

I know dude, I was just saying that it's pretty funny that people are cut about being punished for cheating.

I almost totally agree.

It's pretty funny that people who cheated are directing their ire at those who were rewarded for not cheating.

Rob.

Hey cool, I get a Halo now :D

I've owned TF2 for ages, but i've never installed it.... So i guess i get a Halo now :D

This video sums it up pretty well:

I am so sick of laughinhg at athe same sceen from some old ww2 picture i never saw.

PROUDLY WEARING MY HALO, except on spy.

anything that gets people to play, forum flame or GTFO of my friends list (xxxx is Idling) the better

By the way. TF2 atomic match tonight?

This video sums it up pretty well:

Hahaha! That was fantastic.

Oh, and btw, thanks for the OP. It was informative and well written :)

Rob.

[words]

So, the community is divided between people who think cheating is evil, and people who think cheating is some sort of right?

No, the community is divided between do-gooders who thought it was cheating and refused to idle, and people who wanted some cool stuff using a mod, that WASN'T considered by Valve to be a cheat at the time the idler was implemented. Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler, then Valve had a change of mind, decided to disable the idling system, recalled items dropped for the idlers, then re-wrote then changed the EULA to include this activity as a cheat.

Idlers see this is an unfair activity on VALVE's part, and are therefore protesting.

The community is divided therefore, between people who feel they were wronged, and those they believe are do-gooders.

Edited by Antraman

Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler

Got any proof of that? Just did a quick google and couldn't find anything.

Rob.

Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler

Drunken Fool used the tools and information provided in the SDK, which is a bit different from the source code.

I've read on other forums that after he made it ~4 months ago he contacted Valve and asked if they had any issues with it, and never got a reply, so he continued making it available. He always said that if Valve asked he would shut it down. Supposedly he never heard anything more about it, but when Valve released the latest blog post clearly defining the idler as off-limits he shut it down voluntarily.

Oh, and btw, thanks for the OP. It was informative and well written :)

Cheers :)

I'm going to add another layer of complexity to this argument and declare TF2 a terrible, boring game.