Sign in to follow this  
DonutKing

Didn't get a TF2 halo?

Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler

Drunken Fool used the tools and information provided in the SDK, which is a bit different from the source code.

Yeah, I thought as much. That's a far far cry from what Antraman was suggesting :P

Rob.

Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler

Drunken Fool used the tools and information provided in the SDK, which is a bit different from the source code.

Yeah, I thought as much. That's a far far cry from what Antraman was suggesting :P

Rob.

Far cry? hrmmmm....

I was only going on what my son told me, he's a TF2 nut and keeps track of all that goes on. The fact remains they rewrote the EULA to illegalise this after the idler went into operation and they shut it down. That's what's got people annoyed.

No, the community is divided between do-gooders who thought it was cheating and refused to idle, and people who wanted some cool stuff using a mod, that WASN'T considered by Valve to be a cheat at the time the idler was implemented. Valve released the source code that allowed the modder to make the idler, then Valve had a change of mind, decided to disable the idling system, recalled items dropped for the idlers, then re-wrote then changed the EULA to include this activity as a cheat.

More like "people who wanted some cool stuff without actually earning it".

A fellow at the Good Game forums said this:

This, and messages like this to me reflect the poor attitude gamers have towards sportsmanship. It's no wonder game managers have such strict and air-tight ToS agreements; an alarmingly large proportion of gamers seem to run on the theory "it's alright until explicitly declared otherwise," no matter how morally dodgy it seems people will still do it "because they can't ban you for it".

That pretty much says it all.

Whether something is technically illegal or not, a cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

You can't earn something that's given out randomly.

OK... Obtain it by the intended method?

You know what I meant.

No I don't.

The intended method of acquiring these items was by sitting in spectator in a server. You can do the same thing by using a program, it hooked your account to an idle server so you don't take up spots on regular servers.

You can't earn something that's given out randomly.

OK... Obtain it by the intended method?

You know what I meant.

No I don't.

The intended method of acquiring these items was by sitting in spectator in a server. You can do the same thing by using a program, it hooked your account to an idle server so you don't take up spots on regular servers.

Which WASN'T the intended method. The person quoting frmo the Good Game forums was referring to people like you dude.

So what?

I could sit in a server in spectator and get hats AND a halo. I used a program that didn't need me to fire up a game, that's the only difference.

I don't give a crap about the halo, it's just the 'cheaters don't have halos' branding that is wrong. I'm in an idle server at home right now, half the team have halos.

No you weren't playing the game at all, you were using a program that idles you elsewhere so you can get athe halo drop. You weren't actually playing.

I wouldn't go as far as abusing the game, but you were definitely NOT using the intended methods in which to procure one. Your response so far to that has been 'So what!?'

Well, Valve said "fuck you, now you can't do it" and that's the end of that.

I can relate this to DOTA (like everything else in life). There's NOTHING stopping someone from back dooring in a game (goign ahead of creeps to take out towers when you're all buff). Yet it's wildly looked down upon and in tournaments that I've been too, it's a rule that you can't do it, or you wil forfeit your team.

I was using a program that idles for me. That is correct.

Or I could have been sitting in a server, doing the exact same thing in game.

One of these actions has been branded cheating, the other has not and results in a reward for walking the moral highroad. What sense is there in that? None. It makes no sense.

Regardless of what you think, if THATS what they intended, then that's how it should be done. Again I don't call this cheating as such, just saying that people shouldn't get all uppity if Valve turn around and say "you can't do that, that's not what we intended".

I also thought the idea what to PLAY not to just randomly log into a server and remain idle forever.

I got a alt steam account, and I haven't even got a huntsman or jarate on it yet, let alone a hat or two... (cept for the halo of course)

Again I don't call this cheating as such, just saying that people shouldn't get all uppity if Valve turn around and say "you can't do that, that's not what we intended".

That's exactly the problem here. Valve changed their Terms of Service when they took everyone's items away. No one was doing anything wrong.

I was playing the game. Sitting idle. How is that abusing the game?

your sentence is an oxymoron. you cant be PLAYING the game AND sitting idle.

If you're part of a sports team, but always left on the bench, never once put on the field, do you say "YEAH IM PLAYING FOOTBALL!" or "i have the POSSIBILITY to play football should I stop being idle"

also, how can you be playing if a bot is idling you? I think thats the moral issue here. Just like the WoW fishing bot, "im not cheating its grinding for me!" where others spent hours grinding for themselves. the logic of 'my computer did it for me' takes things WAYYY too far when you try to apply it. "I didnt steal that money, i made a worm, I sat idle as it did the crime" it just doesnt work.

Also, they changed the ToS yes, just as they said they could "subject to change at any time", you agreed when you signed up.

Also for those who said steam shut him down, no, he voluntarily closed the server with an oppology when he found out they didnt like it.

Now if you dont mind im going to go start the car and put it in drive, then sit idly by as it causes accidents and kills people. Its OK though, its not the INTENDED way to drive, but im idling, SURELY thats the same as driving safely so they're at fault. Right Guys?

I was playing the game. Sitting idle. How is that abusing the game?

your sentence is an oxymoron. you cant be PLAYING the game AND sitting idle.

If you're part of a sports team, but always left on the bench, never once put on the field, do you say "YEAH IM PLAYING FOOTBALL!" or "i have the POSSIBILITY to play football should I stop being idle"

also, how can you be playing if a bot is idling you? I think thats the moral issue here. Just like the WoW fishing bot, "im not cheating its grinding for me!" where others spent hours grinding for themselves. the logic of 'my computer did it for me' takes things WAYYY too far when you try to apply it. "I didnt steal that money, i made a worm, I sat idle as it did the crime" it just doesnt work.

Also, they changed the ToS yes, just as they said they could "subject to change at any time", you agreed when you signed up.

Also for those who said steam shut him down, no, he voluntarily closed the server with an oppology when he found out they didnt like it.

Now if you dont mind im going to go start the car and put it in drive, then sit idly by as it causes accidents and kills people. Its OK though, its not the INTENDED way to drive, but im idling, SURELY thats the same as driving safely so they're at fault. Right Guys?

Pretty much this.

Apparently, gamers have a strict "HATS > ETHICS" system.

I was using a program that idles for me. That is correct.

Or I could have been sitting in a server, doing the exact same thing in game.

One of these actions has been branded cheating, the other has not and results in a reward for walking the moral highroad. What sense is there in that? None. It makes no sense.

One of those actions at least assumes you're watching and learning strategy, or better yet actually playing. one does not. thats the difference.

The original introduction of the drop system wasn't well managed. It divided the community at the time.

Achievement servers became idle servers which has had the nasty side affect of rendering the individual stats questionable. Duplicate items, full inventories, regular players without a single hat (halo not included) and a very passionate community looking for answers.

All this whinging on forums is giving me the shits. One thing you can say about those whom are doing the whinging thou, they love the game. These people are not idling for stats or to be achievement whores. They want the items so they can play WITH the items. Yeah, there's some moral grey area about idling ATM, here's a nice hot cup of shut the F&(k up and get on with the game.

If you've spent enough time playing the game you can tell the good players from the average and n00bs stick out like Miss Universe @ a nerd convention. Idling won't improve your skill. Just because you've got all the item unlocks and a really cool hat doesn't mean that you're not going to get pwned.

Right now the game feels like it's taken a real step back. I was hoping that the Dev's would have addressed the drop system as priority considering the feedback (read as backlash) that the community gave in abundance. TBH I don't think that the trading system will fix it however it's at least a step in a direction. Any direction!

One of those actions at least assumes you're watching and learning strategy, or better yet actually playing. one does not. thats the difference.

I was alt-tabbed watching a movie actually. And it got me a hat.

I don't think I've gotten my message across properly yet. I was using a program that FAKED that I was doing NOTHING.

Now, I actually have to sit back and ACTIVELY do NOTHING to get hats.

Meanwhile, honest players were playing the game to get hats.

I don't think I've gotten my message across properly yet. I was using a program that FAKED that I was doing NOTHING.

We understand that.

Now, I actually have to sit back and ACTIVELY do NOTHING to get hats.

Diddums.

You could, you know, actually play the game. Shock horror.

Meanwhile, honest players were playing the game to get hats.

How am I not an honest player? I bought the game, was actively loaded into a server and my account was being utilised. I met all the requirements to earn a hat.

How am I not an honest player? I bought the game, was actively loaded into a server and my account was being utilised. I met all the requirements to earn a hat.

This, and messages like this to me reflect the poor attitude gamers have towards sportsmanship. It's no wonder game managers have such strict and air-tight ToS agreements; an alarmingly large proportion of gamers seem to run on the theory "it's alright until explicitly declared otherwise," no matter how morally dodgy it seems people will still do it "because they can't ban you for it".