Harvey

Issue 105

Just opened Issue 105 and noticed that the titles within Kitlog seem to make much more sense to me this time.

Basic Game Box, Perfect PC etc mean I don't need to spend time working out what you mean rather than just diving in.

BTW the $ totals don't seem to tally again this month (not quite as badly as last issue but still different).

Still have to wait for a few issues to see what direction the new Atomic Maximum Power Gaming mag takes.

New header does not seem to be reflected in the mag so far.

If it's a gaming mag then I assume that will be the primary focus of the articles - this issue is pretty much the usual format so I don't see how a new reader would see it as a 'gaming' mag.

Will wait and see what it becomes.

Bwuh?

How'd you get it so early?

Didn't realise it was early.

Maybe I haven't upset the bill deliverer lately.

When it arrives try page 80 for real gaming.

Got it this arvo, good cover, X-Ray article is very good, and D.Gill's article on the ASUS EAH 4890 is well written too.

Kitlog is much better explained this time around, in terms of finding out what the systems are, as compared to last issue.

Overall a good read that I can't wait to get into :)

EDIT: Atomic.edu this month is a great read as well.

Edited by krispy89

Well, as I say in the editorial, and via quoting old man Mansill no less, Atomic's always been about gaming. And, certainly, to my mind, that's always at the back of our heads when we review any piece of hardware. It's going to end up powering a gaming rig (a highly overclocked, very powerful gaming rig)

Of course, we're still Atomic, and (again, as the editorial states) we're adding stuff, not removing stuff. So there's more gaming content, but no less cool tech and hardware. And when you look at a lot of the great gaming features we've run, from Sex and Gaming to How AI Works, we are very gaming focused. Just not to the exclusion of all else.

At the end of the day, we don't want to lose any of our current readers, but still want to try to appeal to a larger audience.

Got it this arvo, good cover, X-Ray article is very good, and D.Gill's article on the ASUS EAH 4890 is well written too.

Kitlog is much better explained this time around, in terms of finding out what the systems are, as compared to last issue.

Overall a good read that I can't wait to get into :)

EDIT: Atomic.edu this month is a great read as well.

ROCK.

/me throws black and white confetti everywhere.

Glad you enjoyed the insaneo-storage-tech article this month. Only just warming up ;).

z

Edited by zebra

The storage article would have been better if it was written by someone who actually knew a thing or two about storage. Geez.

Wait...what?

The magazine's ACTUALLY been rebranded "Atomic Maximum Power Gaming"?

Iiiiiinnnteresting.

I just thought it was just Harvey being a funny bugger.

Yeah, actual change. I'm waiting for the death threats to come flooding in :)

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that would fit into the 'computing' but not 'gaming' category, but I'm a little worried, now, that we'll miss out on some nice tech pieces because they're not gamey enough. Or at all.

Don't worry - this is additional content, not taking away from anything that the mag already does. I've expanded X-ray, as well - you'll get all the tech you're used to, and a lot more games besides.

we're adding stuff, not removing stuff. So there's more gaming content, but no less cool tech and hardware.

So, how many pages are you adding to carry the additional gaming content, exactly?

Excellent! Is that 8 editorial pages, or a mix of editorial and advertising?

(Either is fine, as both still represent more content. I'm just interested.)

Will the existing staff be able to add this to their workload? Or will it be syndicated international content?

Unless atomic takes a massive u-turn back in the right direction I for one will not be renewing my subscription. When I first subscribed to atomic I was promised the latest news on the cutting edge of technology and how to overclock the shit out of it. Not piss poor console gaming articles. When I decide what to do with my subscription money next year I will invest it in a magazine that is deserving of it e.g CPC, hell if I wanted a gaming mag I would buy PCPP which actually stays true to what it was founded on ( PC gaming).

I sure people will agree and disagree with me but it's going to take a hell of a lot to convince me to change my position.

*cough* You'll see an overclocking guide in there soon enough. *cough*

Obviously they're not going to suddenly put an end to overclocking. They will just gradually phase it out so nobody notices.

Wow, bitter much, Mags? Out of curiosity - have you read 105 yet?

This does not change the core content. Everything you've liked about Atomic since I started ('cause I won't claim anything from before then) will still be there. Overclocking will still be at the heart of everything we do - and why overclock? Performance. Why is perfomance important to us?

Possibly... gaming.

So what is this 'right direction'? The last issue had solid feedback, and, frankly, I've felt the few before that were very good - I may be biased. 105, really, is more of the same, PLUS SOME STUFF. Eight pages extra (and all editorial) if you want to know.