Harvey

Issue 105

Here's the thing.

An issue or two ago, when we had Starcraft II on the cover, we had a Gaming AI feature (that folks loved), 24in monitor round-up, reports from E3, and a mess of hardware - huge gaming content, and not the end of the world. That, I think, was a really solid issue - and this one is, I feel, even better.

You guys know the mag, and I hope you trust me when I say that the content you know and love is not going anywhere. But I do want to get more people reading the mag, as well, not just the same old crowd. I think the mag's too good not to try and market the hell out of it.

And yeah, there will be people who will pick up Atomic now, for the first time, and possibly go "huh - not much of a games mag" and just buy Hyper. On the other hand, I know there are people who will pick it up, see not only the gaming content, but then realise that not only can this mag deliver their gaming hit, but it will teach them more about the tech and hardware inside their gaming rig than any other magazine produced in Australia, and more about the wider world of technology that makes that rig even possible.

I knew this was not going to be a popular move, but I hope the content of the issue speaks for itself.

105 is looking good. Had a quick flick though. X-ray looks very interesting, kitlog is more sensible and Ben doing Fallout should be a good read too. The .edu article should be interesting (much more than previous efforts for this section), I hope this trend of 'jobs in IT' type .edu article hangs around for a while.

About the MPC to MPG rename. I can see the reasons behind the decision but I can't see it being justified. Are people likely to notice the Atomic subtitle change? If it's on the front of 105 sub edition I didn't notice it. Can you really call it MPG if less than 50% of the content is about games?

I also agree with iamthemaxx and twinair's thoughts.

The pages of the game section are one thing, but that's not the end of the related content. I'd count a lot of the hardware as very relevant to gamers, from the graphics cards reviews through to kitlog.

See, this is the thing.

AtomicMPG - ok, we've got 8 pages more of gaming stuff. That's cool. Sadly i know that it has to exist, as gaming IS a part of MPC. MPC.

The super-cool xray stuff, well, that is why i originally bought the mag to begin with - back not long after the mag was launched(i was surprised at how many mag covers i recognised at the issue 100 party - right down to #10, wow.). I bought the mag for it's crazy tech, the xray articles were one of my favourite reads, along with all the head to head reviews of mobos, cpus, graphics cards and cases.

You'll see so far, i've not mentioned the gaming part of the mag - apart from the fact that it was there.

I didn't buy the mag because i was into gaming, if i bought a mag for that reason, i'd have purchased PCPP(<3 Ben).

Don't get me wrong - i loved games(still do!), but i don't need to read about games, if i want to know about a game, i'll read a (current, not month or two old) review online, or download a demo version.

What is "Maximum Power" about gaming? Well, the tech ofcourse. So i see the name change as being somewhat redundant from a logical point of view.

Marketing? Well sorry guys - but there are plenty of gaming mags on the shelves already - you trying to get a section of that market? You've already got it folks. Really. Ok, not to say you shouldn't aim for more, but your marketing angles already catch the eye of that market.

You've(haymarket) got PCA, for your 'general' computing angles, which is fine(and it's a great read for that part of the industry), but there are VERY FEW magazines on the shelves which market themselves to the more edgy side of computing. The side which lends itself to the techies AND the gamers.

Some may say that part of the market is spreading your marketing pull too thin - trying to get both techies and gamers, but i don't think so - gamers love the tech behind it, their systems, what makes it tick, and the techheads love that side too.

Viva AtomicMPC

Edited by Caelum

I was wondering last issue when I saw those immature and vague gaming related titles (IMO) in Kitlog if this was the direction the mag was taking.

My concern has been that money is being taken out of Atomic (eg shared reviews, lost contributors etc) and thrown at the marketing department to come up with 'something'.

Unfortunately for me it seems to be heading down the 'let's spread ourself thin and grab whatever part of the market we can rather than be market leading in the more 'leading edge' area (and gaming is a segment. Not the leading edge of computing).

Looks more like following a trend than leading and creating - very unAtomic.

So far the mag has definitely improved and is closer what it used to be.

Yes it does have 8 more pages that really are of little interest to me but hey, it always had a little of no interest.

As I mentioned earlier I won't be resubscribing and will then see if I see the need to go out and buy it.

If it goes the way we are being told then it should keep me interested and I keep buying.

If not then c'est la vie.

We have a marketing department now?

It never amazes me how people draw connections after the fact. The KitLog names were, quite literally, Justin and I having fun. Sometimes you need to be a little crazy just to make the job go easier - and, since their reception, those names are gone. Two decisions that were made quite separately to the MPG one.

Of course, everyone must follow their conscience - if you don't like the mag, I'm not going to argue that you should be buying it. That's our invisible marketing department's job, apparently.

:)

So when this all fails to achieve the desired response, will you lot be changing it back?

Atomic isn't a gaming mag, and by giving the idea that it is a gaming mag, you're just leaving yourself open to be disregarded by the likes of those who are actually after said gaming mag.

I can't help but feel you're going to find more people flicking through and deciding to go with a genuine gaming mag over this pseudo gaming/tech mag.

TBH IMO I didn't think the 8 pages of gaming were that great. I mean look at the "Modification" section for example all it was was a brief paragraph with lots of pretty, flying, exploding screenshots. Not really informative is it?

Edited by magnumxy

Here's the thing.

An issue or two ago, when we had Starcraft II on the cover, we had a Gaming AI feature (that folks loved), 24in monitor round-up, reports from E3, and a mess of hardware - huge gaming content, and not the end of the world. That, I think, was a really solid issue - and this one is, I feel, even better.

You guys know the mag, and I hope you trust me when I say that the content you know and love is not going anywhere. But I do want to get more people reading the mag, as well, not just the same old crowd. I think the mag's too good not to try and market the hell out of it.

And yeah, there will be people who will pick up Atomic now, for the first time, and possibly go "huh - not much of a games mag" and just buy Hyper. On the other hand, I know there are people who will pick it up, see not only the gaming content, but then realise that not only can this mag deliver their gaming hit, but it will teach them more about the tech and hardware inside their gaming rig than any other magazine produced in Australia, and more about the wider world of technology that makes that rig even possible.

I knew this was not going to be a popular move, but I hope the content of the issue speaks for itself.

Hey Hawkeye tell you the truth I recon you guys "shouldn't fix something that isn't broken" otherwise you guys might loose the readers you do now. I love it how is is (104).

Cheers thats my 2cents worth anyway

Also why change the name from Atomicmpc to Atomicmpg I think you guys should continue how it is at the moment and not change what works which you already have otherwise it might fail. Atomicmpc has a great combination of tech, gaming and other Atomic goodness PLEASE DON'T MESS IT UP!!!!!

Edited by sUpEr gEEk

17 years old and have obtained every issue since 82 (in the month it was being sold too).

The part of the magazine that has always kept me coming back is the tech, whether that be in the reviews of the tech itself or it be in the xray articles exploring a whole wide range of tech topics from Big Irons to the problems with AI to building a budget beast.

I have no problem with slightly increased gaming pages with or without ads (as ads help support atomic) however in its heart Atomic is a computing mag.

Long live Atomic:MPG

Worried you won't be able to claim it back on tax anymore, Juggs? : p

Even as a reasonable taxable deduction now, i still don't buy it. I read one a few issues ago and didn't feel the desire to do it again.

The KitLog names were, quite literally, Justin and I having fun. Sometimes you need to be a little crazy just to make the job go easier - and, since their reception, those names are gone.

And they were fun.

/shakes fist at unimaginative un-fun-loving Kitlog naysayers.

The KitLog names were, quite literally, Justin and I having fun. Sometimes you need to be a little crazy just to make the job go easier - and, since their reception, those names are gone.

And they were fun.

/shakes fist at unimaginative un-fun-loving Kitlog naysayers.

I think they were more angry at not having budget, bang4buck and extreme. They had to take it out on something and the names got it.

EDIT: Spelling failings

Edited by argotha

Hey Hawkeye tell you the truth I recon you guys "shouldn't fix something that isn't broken" otherwise you guys might loose the readers you do now. I love it how is is (104).

Cheers thats my 2cents worth anyway

Also why change the name from Atomicmpc to Atomicmpg I think you guys should continue how it is at the moment and not change what works which you already have otherwise it might fail. Atomicmpc has a great combination of tech, gaming and other Atomic goodness PLEASE DON'T MESS IT UP!!!!!

That assumes that it's working to start with. I'm sure they wouldn't have changed the name without good reason.

Look at it another way.

List of things Atomic has lost:

* one word on the cover

List of things Atomic has gained:

*More game reviews/news

*More X-ray

*(hopefully) more readers, gamers who are looking to graduate to a more technical magazine

List of things that have stayed the same

*Everything else

As to changing it... we're not going to have any data to work on for months. Getting sales data back takes a long time.

Finally, this here site. We're not going to be changing it any time soon. There's lots of technical reasons why, of course, but another is that the site can really operate on its own terms. We already have a lot of people using the site that actively don't care for the mag, so should the site follow so closely? In regards to the forums, I can guarantee there will be no change - we already have all the gaming sections we need.

Look at it another way.

* one word on the cover

List of things Atomic has gained:

*More game reviews/news

*More X-ray

*(hopefully) more readers, gamers who are looking to graduate to a more technical magazine

List of things that have stayed the same

*Everything else

As to changing it... we're not going to have any data to work on for months. Getting sales data back takes a long time.

Finally, this here site. We're not going to be changing it any time soon. There's lots of technical reasons why, of course, but another is that the site can really operate on its own terms. We already have a lot of people using the site that actively don't care for the mag, so should the site follow so closely? In regards to the forums, I can guarantee there will be no change - we already have all the gaming sections we need.

So the tech sections etc will stay in the mag?

Readership down 33% in 4 years is not 'working'. So one has to sympathise with and support the impetus for change.

It's more a question of 'which change will bring the required improvements', and 'will that change still leave the magazine interesting/relevant to me as a reader'.

As I said, 8 extra pages of gaming content aren't that interesting to me. But they're not subtracting from the MPC content, so my interest in the magazine isn't weakened by this move... as long as they stay faithful to the commitment that they won't reduce the MPC content.

Edited by just_some_guy

Readership down 33% in 4 years is not 'working'. So one has to sympathise with the impetus to change.

I didn't know I'm just afraid they'll take the things I like out of it.

Also Hawkeye

Not all the newsagents sells Atomic I have been told by many of my friends and sometimes I have difficulty finding it myself so that's another reason the mag isn't getting a lot of readers

MPG. Don't, like, it, one, bit.

Seriously, atomic != PCPP.

Atomic is not just a gaming mag, its more than that, much more. Its about everything related to tech, and some. Therefore it should not be labeled as a "gamer" mag (but yes, still have gaming content incorporated into the magazine). I thought last issue was an improvement, but still nothing compared to the older issues. But to change atomicMPC to atomicMPG though, that is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. It makes me feel like atomic is becoming another generic "gamer" mag, and not the little niche, tech filled mag I set my eyes on a long time ago when I first picked it up. And although you can try to justify and back your decision up, I still won't accept or like the name change.

And a side note; if you do keep the name change, change the font. It looks like crap.

Cheers.

Edited by .exe

* one word on the cover

I just found it.

It was under the lounge.

Why not put the ....Maximum Power Computing under the Atomic where it always was?

Why can't you put both there and keep everybody happy?

(Yeah...old font)

Edited by LogicprObe

* one word on the cover

I just found it.

It was under the lounge.

Did you see my sanity while you were down there?

* one word on the cover

I just found it.

It was under the lounge.

Did you see my sanity while you were down there?

I lost my virginity under his lounge!

Amusing consequence: this domain - front site + forums - is now a sister-entity to the mag, rather than being based on the mag.

Time to branch out!