Sign in to follow this  
mattym

Filtering through recovered data

Hey guys

Been thinking about where the best place to post this is and came to the conclusion that tech talk is most likely the most appropriate. Was thinking windows section, but it is also applicable to linux, and thought it would be a waste to post in both forums.

So long story cut short, I've managed to recover over 30,000 images from a formatted external USB hdd. Only problem with this is that a fair chunk of them are corrupt beyond repair. So I've now got a collection of both good and bad images. Obviously no point in keeping the bad images, so I need to sift through them and get rid of them.

Theres also alot of smaller thumbnails and gifs but there alot easier to group and delete than sorting through good and bad jpgs.

So i guess what I'm asking, is there a tool I can use that can detect multiple corrupt images, and automatically delete them all? I dual boot with linux, so linux is also an option if theres any easy(ier) commands to use there.

Thanks for your help :)

Matt

Not that i know of off-hand. I'd suggest arranging them by file-size, and sortuing them that way first, you can dump a lot of thumbnails and small shit that way, then use the thumbnail preview function to see what is good and what is not of what is left.

Cheers Midnighter - I was able to group a whole heap of the small ones and delete them. Also deleted all the crap BMP, GIF, PNG files that where in there. Unfortunately one of the recovered files had a dam virus in it which, due to my ignorance, spread onto my system (accidently hit ignore on the virus warning instead of quarantine!) All good now though..lol

As a thought, depending on the backup software you are using I would see if you can script a catalog from the command prompt and dump the text output to a log file/text file. Each one that is corrupt should report that it cannot catalog and you should be able to mark off what is good and what isn't. It will take quite some time but should work.

What about a perl script, using GD to read the size of each image ?

Any bad files would refuse to open, and its easy enough to make the script go through directory structures as well.