Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

'Killer K1 Gaming Ethernet Adapter' Others?

Im clearly not gonna believe the spin of this card.

nor am I about to go buy one.

HOWEVER, the idea of a slightly beefy NPU \ decent packet based QoS is tempting to me.

Is this card one of its kind, or are there 'cheaper' alternatives out there that have some onboard processing\features?

and if not, what chipset is considered the best in standard network cards? and if its Atheros, what EASILY AVAILABLE cards :P

Ive always just had network cards 'work' for me, never had to look into this, and seeing them at umart spiked my interest.

No Master Scythe I would hate to see you waste your money for a ping difference of nothing. These are designed to take pressure of your processor but processors are so good that these are really a waste of space. This kind of gear is only really decent in the server environment.

Nah not worth it.

Lets look at the features:

Smoother Gameplay / CPU offload - covered above, todays CPUs have no problem doing checksums...

Game Networking Acceleration - have no real knowledge in this area, so call it a plus for arguments sake

Hardware bandwidth control - Fancy way of saying QoS? Sorry, but having a single host on a network performing QoS duties will have 0 effect. You can order the packets out your NIC all you like, but unless every other network device on your network is doing the same you will see very little benefit (oh and you have a decent provider that hasn't got oversubscribed backhauls...)

Hardware Firewall - Don't believe in host based firewalls, if you can't block it on its way in, you got no chance. (this is coming from someone who has an understanding of things security related. All for host based firewalls on untrained / stupid peoples computers - I doubt anyone reading this thread falls into that category)

Powertools for FTP, Telnet & Bittorrent - Meh, don't have a requirement to do it on my desk machine, have other bits of kit for that task (wtf is a powertool for telnet?)

P&P with online games - this in the same boat as Networking Acceleration ..

Edited by garlic

hence using the word 'claims' not 'does' lol

i never actually expected it to do anything noticible, the claims just interested me is all. Fair enough though.

I could see the point to it IF:

You are at a LAN and you need to copy/leech files while you are playing games. But this is assuming you are copying/leeching to a different drive head than the ones used for system/game you are playing.

If it has some features for prioritizing Voice VS game traffic.

That is about all I can think of.

For most situations such as online play I'd say there is no point.