motiv

So I decided to set myself a challenge

So I dusted off my good ol eq5 mount to bring it back to life

Since I got my new Dslr, I decided this should be so much easier when I was doing this with film.

Now I have decided to set myself that challenge I have been palming off for about 5 years now.

It's time to capture all the messier objects on film.

Anywho, I shall be adding these on the weekly photo updates so I can keep myself motivated.

For those who are interested in my setup, Take a looksie here.

Posted Image

And I'll start everyone off with M8 and M20 over near the tail of scorpio. Although It still needs a bit more editing and I have to properly polar align my scope. I guess I did alright.

Posted Image

What do you guys think

Rob.

I'm going to guess that's a Canon 20Da?

As for the shot itself, it looks a bit foggy, but I have no experiance in astophotography, so forgive my ignorance. Also, you'll have to point out your indicated points of interest :S

camera is a Nikon d40.

As for the foggy bit's, those are actually the diffuse nebula.

Need to get a better focuser and a few more adjustments here and there. then i'm all set to go.

Rob

camera is a Nikon d40.

Need to get a better focuser and a few more adjustments here and there. then i'm all set to go.

Rob

I hate you with an intensity that burns like the sun.... :p

This is what I'd love to do so much but cost holds me back as well as finding a suitable dark spot to take the shots.

That's a great setup and a fantastic image. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what other shots you pull out of the bag.

If you wouldn't mind, could you list your gear (especially how you mount to the scope) and rough costs?

Love your work even though I burn with an intense jealousy :D

camera is a Nikon d40.

Rob

I hate you with an intensity that burns like the sun.... :p

This is what I'd love to do so much but cost holds me back as well as finding a suitable dark spot to take the shots.

That's a great setup and a fantastic image. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what other shots you pull out of the bag.

If you wouldn't mind, could you list your gear (especially how you mount to the scope) and rough costs?

Love your work even though I burn with an intense jealousy :D

Hey,

Setup costs can be as cheap to as expensive.

If you already have a digital camera and high zoom lens. You can start yourself in astrophotography by constructing yourself a barn door mount (haig mount, scotch mount etc...) and a sturdy tripod.

Here is a link to what you need to make this mount and you can nab yourself some pretty good images with alot of depth and clarity.

http://www.nightskypix.com/equip/ScotchMount.htm

As for my above picture, that was more a quick test run. was 5x30 second exposures. ISO 800 at prime focus on my scope (400-470mm). I actually have a better image that i'm PS at the moment which I will post once I get my website up and running.

Ok, so my current setup as follows - This is all new because my original scope (130mm APO 780mm refractor) got stolen a couple months back. - that cost about 1499 about 10 years ago.

Scope: Skywatcher SW80 - ~$200-300 dollars

Mount: Skywatcher EQ5 with steel tripod - $399

RA motor drive: $155

nessesary adapters for the DSLR: $65

I have on my way a 10:1 Crayford focuser which should yield sharper pictures as the R&P one on this is shit. - that's an extra $199

anyhow, I've got M22, M45 to edit and post up soon.

Rob.

yeah awesome setup, i'd love to do something similar, but yeah cost is an issue, as for the image it looks nice, as with mademan i have no experience, all over its cool, nice work.

Thats awesome, best I can do is fixed tripod + 135mm f/3.5 lens (8 sec, ISO 1600) to image Eta Carina (though it is really dark here in my backyard :))

Anyway, you should try for Eta Carina, its nice and bright, you should get awesome results from being able to use real long exposures on it :D

Edited by Athiril

Thats awesome, best I can do is fixed tripod + 135mm f/3.5 lens (8 sec, ISO 1600) to image Eta Carina (though it is really dark here in my backyard :))

Anyway, you should try for Eta Carina, its nice and bright, you should get awesome results from being able to use real long exposures on it :D

I'll take that one up. Once I get my focuser on tuesday. I'll post my results up

I just have to resurect this. I am looking to get a Heq5 and a Reflector 200mm (8") x1000mm F/5.

I have not ordered it yet (they are out of stock until the end of August) and my interest had started waning.

now I have read this, I am smiling and enthused again !

I just have to resurect this. I am looking to get a Heq5 and a Reflector 200mm (8") x1000mm F/5.

I have not ordered it yet (they are out of stock until the end of August) and my interest had started waning.

now I have read this, I am smiling and enthused again !

Very cool Michael! Let me know if you are heading out and want an imaging partner, it has been far too long since I have taken my stuff out and I have been itching to set up again. (Cue mumbles about the clouds). It looks like I am not too far away from you, so happy to share my limited knowledge if you want someone to show you a few things.

Which scope are you looking to get?

Very cool Michael! Let me know if you are heading out and want an imaging partner, it has been far too long since I have taken my stuff out and I have been itching to set up again. (Cue mumbles about the clouds). It looks like I am not too far away from you, so happy to share my limited knowledge if you want someone to show you a few things.

Which scope are you looking to get?

Roughly where are you based? Yes Yes Yes ! I will take you up on this if I can. My wife hates photography and has no desire to look at stars. I am on my own and just a beginner. My parents have a place about 60 kms form the city and it is nice and dark. When it is warmer I can see me spending some nights there.

I was going to start with a canon 5d with a Tamron 200-500 lens and lens doubler mounted direct to the heq5 mount and then move up to a 200 mm f/5 reflecter. I also have a CLS-CCD on the way.

I will be getting external power for the Heq5 and a USB cable to fit my laptop for easier polar alignment.

I am over in the Glynde area, so as far as I know not too far at all.

In terms of gear, I have a reasonable collection that is sitting around at the moment, so happy to help out if there is a piece or two you want to try out. It's nice to have someone else for an imaging run too.. :)

The reason I asked about the scope was because many of the Skywatcher newtonians have too long a focuser for cameras. It basically means you can't move the focuser in far enough to obtain focus when using a camera. The ways around it are either get another focuser or move the mirror up the tube slightly. Just something to look out for.

Nicely done with the CLS-CCD too. They are a nice filter :) Is it clip in for the EOS? Not sure they work with the 5D.. Might need to use a crop sensor camera if that's the case. I have a clip filter here if there is something you want to try before getting yours.

I am over in the Glynde area, so as far as I know not too far at all.

In terms of gear, I have a reasonable collection that is sitting around at the moment, so happy to help out if there is a piece or two you want to try out. It's nice to have someone else for an imaging run too.. :)

The reason I asked about the scope was because many of the Skywatcher newtonians have too long a focuser for cameras. It basically means you can't move the focuser in far enough to obtain focus when using a camera. The ways around it are either get another focuser or move the mirror up the tube slightly. Just something to look out for.

Nicely done with the CLS-CCD too. They are a nice filter :) Is it clip in for the EOS? Not sure they work with the 5D.. Might need to use a crop sensor camera if that's the case. I have a clip filter here if there is something you want to try before getting yours.

Yes, I drive through Glynde daily. It is about 10 minutes max from my place.

The scope is a BT200 Reflector http://www.bintel.com.au/Telescopes/Reflec...roductview.aspx

Talking to Bintel, it is designed for best viewing with an eyepiece by using a slighty longer connector tube and it is designed for DSLR at Prime when the eyepiece assembly has been removed.

I mentioned to them about moving the mirror for DSLR and they seemed quite proud to announce that it was nolonger needed to be done.

I was tossing up the CLS-CCD and the H-Alpha clip but my camera is not modified so the CLS-CCD was the smarter choice.

It is for the EOS. I have plenty of EOS camera's to choose from so I have that covered. I might have to choose one oft the smaller units anyway as the camera weight+telescope might be too much for the mount.

I have the 350d with 720 nm IR modification that I want to try. Failing this, I have the 10d, 30d, 5d, 7d and 1d. I know the 1d will be way to heavy. The 7d and 5d might be pushing it weightwsie but the crop on the 7d would be great. The 10d/30d are much lighter.

the clip should work on all the crop units.

Very nice :) It's a very similar scope to what I was looking at for a while, and still dream about getting at some point. (Many things to get before that)

In any case, when the weather clears up there will hopefully be an opportunity to set up again and get some images :)

Very nice :) It's a very similar scope to what I was looking at for a while, and still dream about getting at some point. (Many things to get before that)

In any case, when the weather clears up there will hopefully be an opportunity to set up again and get some images :)

I finally have everything ordered from Bintel. Much of it is on back order :(

I am sitting here looking at my Canon EOS T Adaptor, Shoestring USB for Heq4 mount, Astronomik EOS CLS-CCD Clip, Heq5 mount power supply and I have a Canon 500D full spectrum (Modified) on it's way. I went with a 500d as it is lighter, has live view and 1.6 crop. I can then use IR filters, Ha and others later.

I can't wait for the weeks ahead of learning. I know it is not going to be as easy as taking snaps and stacking. I think alignment is going to be my first challenge.

So, what else makes up my package?

Camera dovetail mount to go onto the heq5

Astronomik Ha (Hydrogen Alpha) EOS filter clip filter

Collimator eyepeice and other bits

Smaller weight for DSLR as the default weights are too heavy

bt200 /5 Reflector + heq5 pro (8" 200mm x 1000mm). ED80 Refractors were recommended but I could not afford it. I went for wide aperture, least distortion. The mount has Goto as part of the Pro setup.

8" white light - solar filter

A dew cap for this setup was not recommended.

I confirmed this reflector would work at prime with DSLR without focus issues. This unit is designed for DSLR with a slighly longer extension tube for viewing. The mirrors do not need moving.

They recommended software for alignment - eqmod/eqalign

Now I just need to add a laptop, comfy chair, some torches, carry bag etc

So I am eagerly waiting for the stock and then the courier :)

A very impressing set of gear you are getting there.. And it's only starting :)

Take a look at the newest firmware for your mount, ( http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_...&class2=101 - if you have a synscan controller, it should work) it's now got a polar alignment option in it which seems to work rather well. In the end you'll still need to drift align when looking at long exposures, but it'll get you started.

I've recently setup my gear, so happy to provide any info if you want to take a look.

A very impressing set of gear you are getting there.. And it's only starting :)

Take a look at the newest firmware for your mount, ( http://www.skywatcher.com/swtinc/customer_...&class2=101 - if you have a synscan controller, it should work) it's now got a polar alignment option in it which seems to work rather well. In the end you'll still need to drift align when looking at long exposures, but it'll get you started.

I've recently setup my gear, so happy to provide any info if you want to take a look.

Wow, the firmware is so small. Must have been written in Assembly code :)

Very jealous. I'd be interested to see how it goes compared to a non-modified 500D. Though you know that now we will have another three weeks of cloudy skies :P

MandoTiM: It's a 500D with the sensors filters removed, which basically makes it more sensitive to certain wavelengths of light that would normally be blocked.

Very jealous. I'd be interested to see how it goes compared to a non-modified 500D. Though you know that now we will have another three weeks of cloudy skies :P

MandoTiM: It's a 500D with the sensors filters removed, which basically makes it more sensitive to certain wavelengths of light that would normally be blocked.

The previous owner left a SD card in the camera. I ran a quick undelete.

The last owner only used the SD card in the first week of the camera's life (About 2 years old). He used it tethered to a laptop ever since.

This means the photos on the card were taken when he was new to Astrophotography. They were his first attempts.

They were awesome. He has some ISO 1600, exp 90 seconds which show very cool nebula and all the red coolness of the hydrogen alpha light range.

I can't see what lens he had as the exif said zero. Likely he had a reflex manual lens or a T adaptor and a telescope.

Anyway, it looks very promising.

With the full spectrum camera, with the IR cutoff filter removed and standard glass in it's place, it autofocuses cleanly and the camera looks brand new. It even smells new. The only way I can tell it is modified is from the photos.

If you take a regular photo of something, it looks orange/yellow. You can't take regular photos without a lens mounted filter to do the job of the original filter. Other than this, all features work including live view and 1080p video.

I am very happy !!!

Here is an image to help explain full spectrumPosted Image

interesting, So what is the spectral range that the sensor now picks up?