tos-tar-k

gigabit network fails miserably

ok so i just upgraded to gigabit network, because i only just realised that several of my computers can handle it. the problem is, when i try to copy multiple, or large, files it absoutely bombs out. it starts off super fast, about 70% usage, then after about 15-20 seconds it dies... and eventually times out. things i have tried:

i have replaced all the cables with brand new cat 6 cables, no change

have updated all drivers on pc's, no change

spent a while googling and came up with no results.... ne ideas?

go into the network card properties in device manager and turn off, or reduce the size of your JumboFrames.

some cards, and about 60% of ONBOARD cards crash themselves trying to handle jumbo frames too large..

What OS?

What NICs?

What switch?

What is your network topology?

Edited by iamthemaxx

It could be he router. if you have a crossover cable (if not, its a cheap investment) try going PC -> PC.

also make sure all firewalls are off of course, sometimes 'retries' or packet errors can be seen as a DOS attack\flood by some firewalls.

What OS?

What NICs?

What switch?

What is your network topology?

windows 7 pro <---> windows server 2003

both on board gigabit LAN on gigabyte motherboards

switch is dlink DGS-1008D

both pc's plugged directly into switch

It could be he router. if you have a crossover cable (if not, its a cheap investment) try going PC -> PC.

tried this, still bombs out.... :(

Edited by tos-tar-k

do me a test.

start the file copy. wait untill it 'stops' but before it times out.

while you're waiting for this to happen have a CMD prompt with PING ready.

When your transfer 'stops' see if you can still 'ping'. If you can, its still accepting data.

If it can, i'd be stopping and looking in places like EVENTVWR (run menu) for any errors.

I know when my HDD was failing windows was just stopping the file copy and logging 'cannot read' errors, never SHOWING me an error.

If jumbo frames are off, no firewalls, and youve tried bypassing the router, time to start investigating.

new symptoms!

when it stops, ping still works...

i know it cant be the harddrive becasuse both machines have more than one and regardless which is being used it happens

HOWEVER... there are a huge log of errors on the servers EVENTVWR, but moslty relating to printers that are plugged into the other machine?????

"Driver Microsoft XPS Document Writer required for printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again."

"Driver Microsoft Shared Fax Driver required for printer Fax is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again."

"Driver HP Photosmart C4380 series required for printer HP Photosmart C4380 series is unknown. Contact the administrator to install the driver before you log in again."

how can that machine have errors on this when they are on the windows 7 machine???

well mate I think we've all run out of logic here, so lets start guessing wildly.

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from the manufacturers website?

Not the motherboard webside. So if its a MarvellYukon chip, go to their website, make sure you uninstall the drivers FIRST then install the new onws, not just over the top.

look for antiviruses or firewalls clamping a file?

Failing that im out of ideas. Does it still happen if you leave everything the same but force 100mbps in the drivers? most cards can do that.

have tried latest drivers from manufacturor, no change.

checked all antivirus and firewall

i havent tried forcing 100mb/s, will try that when i get home later. however, i did plug my laptop in (which only has a 100mb/s card in it) and it still drops out copying from that to server.

I know you said that its not your hdd, but are you sure?

If my calculations are right, then 1000mb/s = 125MB/s... If your hard drive can't keep up with this then I'm sure you'll experience errors in some form.

What sort of HDD have you got in the two machines?

Cheers

All motherboard and NIC drivers up to date?

All operating systems up to date?

What version of Win7 are you running?

Can you try with another OS on either machine, i.e. a Linux live CD?

Do you get the same issue if you lock the NICs to 100Mb/Full Duplex?

Can you try with a different protocol, i.e. FTP or similar?

ok heres the latest:

All motherboard and NIC drivers up to date?

All operating systems up to date?

What version of Win7 are you running?

Can you try with another OS on either machine, i.e. a Linux live CD?

Do you get the same issue if you lock the NICs to 100Mb/Full Duplex?

drivers are up to date.... checked twice

operating ssytems are up to date

windows 7 is professional edition

when i lock either NIC down to 100 mb/s everything works fine.

If my calculations are right, then 1000mb/s = 125MB/s... If your hard drive can't keep up with this then I'm sure you'll experience errors in some form.

in windows 7 pc i have two WD green drives in raid 1 and a 500gig WD caviar blue drive as system drive.. result is the same regardless of which one im copying from

it would seem that for whatever reason, gigabit is too fast for one of the pcs, is there a network speed limiter or somthing i can use to slowly incrememt the max speed and see what is going on?

Are you able to try these?

Can you try with another OS on either machine, i.e. a Linux live CD or Windows XP?

Also, which motherboards and NIC chipsets? BIOS updates perhaps?

try disabling tcp window scaling

IMO this would do more harm than good, unless there's a bug in the driver's implementation. Can't hurt to try I suppose. Edited by lew~

Apparently he tried with a crossover with resulted in the same issue.

Could be NIC, which is why I suggested drivers & info on NICs.

Could be OS (Vista had that file transfer performance issue, although it never degraded to 0MB/s) which is why I suggested another OS or protocol.

The second is free, would be worth trying first IMO.

GAH this is driving me insane! ok so problem is still there with crossover, so it cant be switch...

i just tried new NIC's in both machines AND IT STILL doesnt work ..gah

UPDATE:

if i remote access the server and pull files from pc it fails as usual.... BUT if i remote access it and push files to the pc its works normally, baut only at about 40-60% network usage (from pc it goes at about 80% till it bombs)

hey guys,

i was thinking about what mattym said:

on the server i was looking at the hard drive properties in device manager and cam across this:

Posted Image

when you tick the 'enable write caching on the disk' option, the bottom one becomes able to be ticked. they are both unticked as standard... anyone with experience using windows server know if these are unticked for a reason? the caching one is ticked as standard on win 7 pro... could this cause write errors ?

EDIT:

even if i tick these boxes it still fails

Edited by tos-tar-k

GAH.. guess what i just realised.... setting it to 100mb/s max doesnt actually fix it... it just takes longer to drop out. after about 1 mins it still does the same thing....