krispy89

Left 4 Dead 2

So did the appeal work then?.... When can I pre order over steam?

Edited by 2SHY

A victoly for free speech.

Now I can get back to boycotting it because it should just be DLC for L4D. :P

Edited by SquallStrife

Pfft @ boycott.

There's was a really good article in Games™ explaining just why it couldn't be DLC (shame there's no online version I can find).

Sounds like a fair amount of effort's gone into fixing stuff from L4D and expanding the story.

I wish there was a mode where you could just run around resident evil style with no team mates but no hunters and smokers to get you in 1 shot kills.

edit: I guess I can buy since apparently I will have to wait for MW2 for an extra 2 weeks.

Edited by nesquick

Pfft @ boycott.

There's was a really good article in Games™ explaining just why it couldn't be DLC (shame there's no online version I can find).

Sounds like a fair amount of effort's gone into fixing stuff from L4D and expanding the story.

I know. I was lampooning all the tards 12 year olds out there that are "boycotting" because they don't have enough pocket money to buy it without their parents knowing. Most of them went from bawww@cost to bawwwww@rating, now they can go back to the cost.

I'll buy it fo sho. Love me some zombie mashing action.

Edited by SquallStrife

Fairly sure this is the edited version that's been approved. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was initially rated M, but was reduced to PG on appeal. The rating for that includes the qualifier "(review)", which is not present for L4D2. The L4D2 RC and MA pages look essentially identical to the Fallout 3 RC and MA ones.

Shame, but I suppose better than missing out altogether.

Fairly sure this is the edited version that's been approved.

Yeah, that's my impression also, based on this article from news.com.au: Left 4 Dead 2 modified for MA 15+ rating

The sequel to a popular video game has been modified so it can be sold in Australia.

“The board notes that the game no longer contains depictions of decapitation, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of dead bodies lying about the environment,” the report said.

“No wound detail is shown and the implicitly dead bodies and blood splatter disappear as they touch the ground.”

The report confirmed that melee weapons, such as “axes, crowbars and chainsaws” were still in the game.

The link also has linkage to the decision report from the OFLC. Trying to find other/better linkage now.

I'm with Garph - this shit is just embarrassing.

edit: ah, Kotaku.com.au, I shoulda known. No Decapitations, Dismemberment In Censored Aussie Left 4 Dead 2

double edit: also, according to Kotaku, the appeal ruling is expected to come down on October 22.

edit: 'coz Elven was posting from an eee and the damn edit box couldn't handle the length of the link :-p

(thanks, fuzzy one!)

Edited by elvenwhore
'cos Elven missed the essential "how to not bork links as a mod" training seminar. :-P

Fuck. That. Shit.

Yet decapitating anything that moves, not to mention curb stomping mutant babies in Dead Space is perfectly fine for a MA15+ rating.

While their at it why not replace the zombies with care bears and the bullets with rainbows, think of the children!

Edited by NEMESIS_420

I'm with Garph - this shit is just embarrassing.

also, according to Kotaku, the appeal ruling is expected to come down on October 22.

Valve said that they only produced the modified version as a backup, in case the appeal is un-successful.

If it is un-successful, I'll get the game by 'other' means.

It is embarrassing that the OFLC is living in the dark ages.

I went and fixed up your link for you Elven. ;-)

With this version out there, there's no way the OFLC will overturn their previous ruling. Why would they? They have the perfect out -- gamers get their game, *and* the previous ruling stands.

So if I pirate the game, I get it for free and I get an unedited version.

Or I could pay money for what is essentially a sub standard game.

I went and fixed up your link for you Elven. ;-)

With this version out there, there's no way the OFLC will overturn their previous ruling. Why would they? They have the perfect out -- gamers get their game, *and* the previous ruling stands.

There are several precedents that say the original should be released.

Dead Space and Fallout 3 for instance.

I think a lot of unreasonable anger is being heaped on the OFLC because of this. Yes they do have inconsistent standards and that should be reviewed. However if a game is too violent for an MA15+ category in which we do not currently have any other category the game should be banned legally. I don't like censorship at all but I realise that we need these systems in place to ensure that we don't get mired in a mess of disgusting expression. There are some things out there too vile to be released to the general public with no reason other than 'because'. I'm not a fan of violence for violence sake.

I want to see L4D2 released as it was designed to be, I want the decision on its classification to be consistent. You won't get any argument from me the system needs to change but statements like them being in the dark ages are unjustified.

I really don't understand what went down.

They modified the game, probably by removing all the "Strong Bloody Violence"

Yet it was still classified MA15+ Strong Bloody Violence.

Can't be any worse than Germany where they can only have TF2 in party mode.

lol I knew this would happen....

oh well I will probably to stuck into MW2 to even care about zombies.

Unless it's reclassified :P

I really don't understand what went down.

They modified the game, probably by removing all the "Strong Bloody Violence"

Given that, as you point out, the game is rated MA15+ for "Strong Bloody Violence," they didn't remove all the "strong bloody violence." Rather, they simply removed the violence that was strong and bloody enough to put it into the "RC" category.