Sign in to follow this  
ollieman

WTF Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 Motherboard?

Has anyone ever used one of these boards or heard anything bad about them

? I am currently using my 3rd one after the others were RMA'd and now this one is butchered with the identical problem.

GSATAII_1 is one of the purple raid ports. Whenever I try to send any large volume of data to it or even have it scanned by AVG, I get windows write delay failure and the system freezes until the drive is disconnected.

This image was taken by the Australian distributor who does the RMA, apparently it shows a capacitor that has blown - http://i27.tinypic.com/o6csip.jpg

I've looked at the new board I have and it doesn't look any damn different, so I guess it's blown again? I can't even tell in their photo what they are trying to show me, which is blown?

I've used multiple SATA cables and drives from Seagate & WD, 320gb to 1tb and it makes no difference. The same drives & cables work in other ports, just not this one.

I want to know if anyone else has this board or has heard of these problems. I've searched and haven't found any similar reports but I find it hard to believe if there's 3 boards in a row I have with this problem that nobody else has the problem too.

not that one specifically no, but across the forum there is a bit of gigabyte hate going around. It seems their boards have been dropping in quality.

Yeah the gigabyte grumbles are stirring a little at the moment. If you're onto you're third failed board, I'd be arguing my case for an exchange to a different brand. I'm sure you'd be within your rights to push for it.

australian law denotes that if you are in ANY way unsatisfied you are entitled to AT LEAST a store credit. this applies for all non-medical\sterile goods.

You're only entitled to a refund if the product if faulty.

You're not entitled to anything if you simply do not like it.

If you don't like it because it's faulty, that's fine.

If you don't like it because it's not what you hoped for, stiff.

Looking at the photo it appears there are three sets of pads on the left which are empty and probably were empty when the board was manufactured then on the right the top component is a capacitor (I'm guessing the culprit) and the bottom a resistor (should be a small black package with white writing like 223 which would be a 22K resistor as an example). So look at the capacitor on yours with a magnifying glass and check for breaches in the casing. Since it looks like a non electrolytic it may be hard to see. If you are in for some extreme self help find out from your contact what the value is and replace it with a non surface mount version :)

ollieman posted this for me because I wasn't a member. I got some replies today from Gigabyte and the people I got the board from.

From Gigabyte:

Basically our product will be fully tested before released to the market, but if the problem still occurs with different replacement board, then there may be a problem with your components (CPU / memory, PSU...etc) or system environment (temperature / electricity...etc), we suggest you can contact your system supplier / distributor, and see if they can help you to test the entire system to see if there's a components problem, sorry for the inconvenience.

From the store:

There is one thing that I think may help with your problem, as 3 boards with the same fault does sound very sus. If you can, could you please try turning up the Southbridge voltage by an increment or two and see how you go. Beyond this I really can't think of anything else to try. What power supply do you use?? It MAY also be that if you’ve only got a el cheapo.

I responded with my system specs which is Thermaltake ToughPower 850W, Lian Li PC-A71B, AMD AM2+ X4 Phenom 9550, Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, XpertVision GeForce 9600GT & (all SATA) 4x1TB Western Digital Green, 1x320GB Western Digital and 80GB Seagate for OS. Then got this reply:

That PSU should be more than adequate for that system, especially so since most of your drives are the lower power "green" drives. Putting up the voltage by an increment or two shouldn’t be a problem whether the board is faulty or not as long as you have good ventilation in your case, which you should do judging from the case that you have. If this still doesn’t do anything then try putting it up a third increment then pointing a spare fan or something onto the heat sink for its cooler to make sure it doesn’t overheat or anything.

Double check that you have the latest bios as well, you should do though.

Such an annoying problem though. If it has to be RA'd again ill try and get it changed for a different board for you, as 3 possibly faulty boards in a row is just not acceptable.

I'm going to change the voltage this afternoon and see what happens. Previous board was up to the latest BIOS and I upgraded this one as soon as I got it under 2 months ago. I'm also going to start looking for board alternatives that support the CPU and my setup.

10 seconds in microwave on low and its faulty

Advice from a pro, doesn't get any better than that.

Have you tried a different sata cable six66mike?

Multiple cables & drives. I swapped over existing cables (I have 6 SATA cables in this computer) plus went out and bought 2 new ones, no change. I tried 3 different drives as well, the 80gb seagate, 320gb WD & 1tb WD.

I'm going to change the voltage this afternoon and see what happens. Previous board was up to the latest BIOS and I upgraded this one as soon as I got it under 2 months ago. I'm also going to start looking for board alternatives that support the CPU and my setup.

Whoa! Make absolutely sure they will still cover it under warranty if you do that. I guarantee if it blows up the person you spoke to will magically forget they told you to do that!

In reality they need to refund your money or give you a credit to purchase another board. There are many people moving from Gigabyte to Asus on the boards at present and I have to admit - the Asus boards look pretty damn sharp engineering wise!

Not true.

Dont make me try to find the legislation ><

Ive had first hand experience in this, when I bought incompatible corsair ram. Not faulty, just wrong, and entirely my fault. (had LEDs on them, motherboard couldnt supply enough power, known issue).

Tried to return it and the store said no, I called corsair support from within the store, the corsair rep was FURIOUS that a customer had to call the company rather than the store owner, and he demanded he talk to the manager, so i put it on speaker phone.

He then quoted the legislation stating exactly what I said above and said if he didnt accept the refund he'd recommend withdrawing corsair products from their store.

FUCK was i happy, and was he mad\embarassed. I walked out $300 richer, and with my 2GB of ram they'd let me 'borrow' while my stick where being tempermental.

If you have legislation to prove otherwise, throw me a link, but I know ive seen it proving my point, and for a rep to threaten a store owner while quoting legislation, I assume he knew what he was on about.

If you prove me wrong i appologise, but im pretty damn confidient

Not true.

Dont make me try to find the legislation ><

Ive had first hand experience in this, when I bought incompatible corsair ram. Not faulty, just wrong, and entirely my fault. (had LEDs on them, motherboard couldnt supply enough power, known issue).

Tried to return it and the store said no, I called corsair support from within the store, the corsair rep was FURIOUS that a customer had to call the company rather than the store owner, and he demanded he talk to the manager, so i put it on speaker phone.

He then quoted the legislation stating exactly what I said above and said if he didnt accept the refund he'd recommend withdrawing corsair products from their store.

FUCK was i happy, and was he mad\embarassed. I walked out $300 richer, and with my 2GB of ram they'd let me 'borrow' while my stick where being tempermental.

If you have legislation to prove otherwise, throw me a link, but I know ive seen it proving my point, and for a rep to threaten a store owner while quoting legislation, I assume he knew what he was on about.

If you prove me wrong i appologise, but im pretty damn confidient

All the Corsair rep can do is stop dealing with the store, and smear the store's name among his colleagues. Which in itself can have big consequences for the store.

The store was not obligated to give you a refund or exchange because you chose incorrectly or changed your mind.

Stores often provide return/exchange/refund facilities under their own policies, but all they're obliged to do is offer exchange/refund on a faulty or falsely advertised product.

http://www.consumer.gov.au/html/faqs.htm

When do I have to give a refund under the law?

Under the Trade Practices Act, you have to give a refund if something a customer bought has a serious fault that they didn't know about or does not do the job that the customer was led to believe it would do or does not match a sample or description shown to the customer beforehand.

You do not have to refund a customer's money if they do not have proof of purchase (eg. a receipt), they just changed their minds, if they have damaged the goods, or they knew about a fault beforehand (eg. factory seconds).

Also, http://www.ret.gov.au/tourism/information_...rights%20v3.pdf

It's aimed at tourists, but just confirms what the above site says this on Page 3:

Under Australian law, you have a right to a refund if the

goods:

• are faulty;

• are unft for their purpose (they don’t do what they

are supposed to do);

• do not match the description or sample you were

shown;

• have defects that were not obvious or were not

brought to your attention when you bought them; or

• were bought on the basis of misleading information.

You do not have a legal right to a refund if you simply

change your mind about a product. In this situation, it

is up to the business to decide if they will give a refund.

Choosing incorrectly is your own fault. You even said that you KNEW you bought the wrong thing. You're lucky that a vendor was happy to take his business away from a store over a one-off case, or bluff in order to help you out.

Caveat emptor my friend.

Edited by SquallStrife

10 seconds in microwave on low and its faulty

Advice from a pro, doesn't get any better than that.
I lol'd XD!

If this is the 3rd time, just ask if you swap brands to maybe like Asus or something.

DONT NOT OVER VOLTAGE ur board it will void ur warranty and any leg room to take it back and get ur money back or another board. i wouldn't put it past the guy in the store telling u to do that so u stop taking the thing back and make it so there not responsible for it any more. if giga-byte tell u directly then u should be ok as long as u have record of them saying that.

i know a few store around where i live that get pplz to void there warranty just so they dont have to deal with them any more.

and under the fair trading act u are entitled to a full refund if the product is faulty and is still with in the implied warranty which i think is 12 months for all computer components

DONT NOT OVER VOLTAGE ur board it will void ur warranty and any leg room to take it back and get ur money back or another board.

Motherboards are the only things I know where overvoltage doesn't technically void the warranty however everything else it does.

edit and gigabyte warranty is 3 years not 12months.

Edited by nesquick

Wilful damage != Faulty.

Somebody claiming to be a pro should know this.

well that is one thing i wouldnt be telling the person doing the warranty it took a trip in the microwave but after the 3rd one i would ask for a creadit and replace it with the better solution

i am in no way saying that this will be the out come but it very well could be

Edited by built by noob

I sent Gigabyte an update in my ticket asking them what will happen to the warranty if something goes south.

Any suggestions on ASUS boards with similar specs that support my hardware? (Thermaltake ToughPower 850W, Lian Li PC-A71B, AMD AM2+ X4 Phenom 9550, Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 4GB (2x XMS2 2GB) PC-6400 (800MHz) DDR2 RAM, XpertVision GeForce 9600GT)

I would be looking at 6-8 SATA ports and 2 eSATA ports as well and similar PCI-e ports.

implied warranty means even if there is no warranty there is still a warranty the seller must stick to and any thing over that is an express warranty

so if u buy something that under implied warranty time frame say 12 months but the manufacture only offers 6 months the supplier still is liable for that warranty up to 12 months

asus is slim pickings for that many sata ports and e-sata

but have a look at the foxcom a79a-s if ur not looking in to overclocking theres been a few bad reports about it but there all about the bios options and the pci-e 16x slots positions

it has 6 sata and 2 e-sata

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/94479/MOTHERBO...conn/A79A-S.asp

Edited by ian_hard

implied warranty means even if there is no warranty there is still a warranty the seller must stick to and any thing over that is an express warranty

so if u buy something that under implied warranty time frame say 12 months but the manufacture only offers 6 months the supplier still is liable for that warranty up to 12 months

I would like to see you make them have to send it away for warranty then if said part died after 6 months, shops are there to make money not play good samaritan, sending stuff away costs them money and if they don't have to do it they wont.

I would like to see you make them have to send it away for warranty then if said part died after 6 months, shops are there to make money not play good samaritan, sending stuff away costs them money and if they don't have to do it they wont.

its not about if they want to or not, they have to under the fair trading act

every thing u buy has an implied warranty that suppliers must stick to

a good example is a fridge that cost $3000 and the manufatcure gives u 12 months warranty but it brakes downs after 13 months due to the price and the item the supplier must repair, exchange or refund the fridge and then they have to put a claim to the manufacturer for there loses

any ways if u have trouble getting an exchage direct them to your states consumer affairs website. that should be enough to convince them to exchange for another branded board

also keep in mind that ur warranty applies to when u received the latest replacement board not when u first brought it

a good example is a fridge that cost $3000 and the manufatcure gives u 12 months warranty but it brakes downs after 13 months due to the price and the item the supplier must repair, exchange or refund the fridge and then they have to put a claim to the manufacturer for there loses

If that happened the answer would be tough luck were not replacing it I can guarantee that like I said its not unicef its a business they don't have to repair the fridge if its out of the warranty period end of story.

edit: warranty period is from the date of purchase not when you receive the replacement product to.

Edited by nesquick