Sign in to follow this  
ollieman

WTF Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5 Motherboard?

a good example is a fridge that cost $3000 and the manufatcure gives u 12 months warranty but it brakes downs after 13 months due to the price and the item the supplier must repair,

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA

You're a fool.

A 12 month warranty is a 12 month warranty. Anything a manufacturer provides after that is PR.

They don't even have to provide that 12 month warranty. A warranty is just a small insurance policy, not a legal obligation or right in any way.

If a manufacturer was knowingly producing faulty goods, that's another story.

The trade practices act is linked further up in this very thread, in its entirety. The only obligation anybody has is that the product works and is as advertised when it's sold.

If you can indicate where in that act it says that a manufacturer is legally obliged to fix your shit forever, I will eat my shoe.

Edit:

From YOUR LINK: ...if it had a structural fault eg. defective insulation not apparent at the time of purchase, which became obvious after only 18 months.

They won't fix it because it wears out or you microwave it. They'll fix it if there was a problem there all along. Those are two very different scenarios. Not to mention being incredibly subjective.

Edit2: Spelling.

Edited by SquallStrife

im not talking about wat the manufacturer supplies in a warranty but the implied warranty that is subjected to every item sold in australia which is solely up to the supplier to up hold and i never said they would fix it for ever. the implied warranty time frame changes from product to product and price

manufactures give u an express warranty and extended warranty but a supplier is responsible for the implied warranty.

implied means the item should work with out fault for a set amount of time in accordance to the type of item and the price

if an item becomes faulty with in the implied warranty time frame ur entitled to a repair, replacement or a refund which is ur choice

section 32G of the 2003 revision of the fair trading act 1999 (act30/03)

implied means the item should work with out fault for a set amount of time in accordance to the type of item and the price

*facepalm*

Let's take a look at your attempt at a reference:

32G. Terms implied in contracts as to right to supply

(1) Subject to section 32GA, in a contract of supply of goods there is-

(a) an implied condition that-

(i) in the case of a contract, not being an agreement to supply, the

supplier has a right to supply the goods; and

(ii) in the case of an agreement to supply, the supplier will have a right

to supply the goods at the time when the property is to pass; and

(b) an implied condition that, at the time the property in the goods is to

pass, the goods will be free from any charge or encumbrance other than

a charge or encumbrance-

(i) of which the purchaser is aware when the supply is made; and

(ii) subject to which the purchaser has agreed to accept the goods; and

© an implied warranty that the purchaser will enjoy quiet possession of

the goods, except as far as it may be disturbed by a person entitled

to the benefit of a charge or encumbrance-

(i) of which the purchaser is aware when the supply is made; and

(ii) subject to which the purchaser has agreed to accept the goods.

(2) This section does not apply to a contract of supply of goods by way of

lease.

Once again, PLEASE indicate where anybody has to repair anything?

Section C pertains to the supplier leaving you to enjoy your product, unless you owe them money. Nothing about repairing anything.

Warranty != Getting Fixed.

Once again. Please link to a piece of legislation stating that somebody has some kind of legal obligation to repair an item regardless of the warranty period you accept at the time of purchase, where design/manufacturing defects or poor workmanship are not involved.

Unless perhaps you mean Trade Practices Act 1974, Sect 71:

Implied undertakings as to quality or fitness

(1) Where a corporation supplies (otherwise than by way of sale by auction) goods to a consumer in the course of a business, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract for the supply of the goods are of merchantable quality, except that there is no such condition by virtue only of this section:

(a) as regards defects specifically drawn to the consumer's attention before the contract is made; or

(b) if the consumer examines the goods before the contract is made, as regards defects which that examination ought to reveal.

(2) Where a corporation supplies (otherwise than by way of sale by auction) goods to a consumer in the course of a business and the consumer, expressly or by implication, makes known to the corporation or to the person by whom any antecedent negotiations are conducted any particular purpose for which the goods are being acquired, there is an implied condition that the goods supplied under the contract for the supply of the goods are reasonably fit for that purpose, whether or not that is a purpose for which such goods are commonly supplied, except where the circumstances show that the consumer does not rely, or that it is unreasonable for him or her to rely, on the skill or judgment of the corporation or of that person.

(3) Subsections (1) and (2) apply to a contract for the supply of goods made by a person who in the course of a business is acting as agent for a corporation as they apply to a contract for the supply of goods made by a corporation in the course of a business, except where that corporation is not supplying in the course of a business and either the consumer knows that fact or reasonable steps are taken to bring it to the notice of the consumer before the contract is made.

Once again, it targets defects and other undisclosed problems. Not things you're simply not happy with.

Geez who woulda thought a motherboard problem would spark a debate on warranty policy & laws lol

My thoughts exactly, it happens on every forum though you get some young upstart that claims to know everything and they wont accept defeat even if it is starring them blatantly in the face.

Geez who woulda thought a motherboard problem would spark a debate on warranty policy & laws lol

My thoughts exactly, it happens on every forum though you get some young upstart that claims to know everything and they wont accept defeat even if it is starring them blatantly in the face.

Haha yeah for a minute I thought I was back on WP. Anyways, Gigabyte responded and ignored my question about voiding the warranty entirely. They told me to have the supplier/retailer test the entire system and stuck with that line, no additional comments.

So here I go, time to piss about with the voltage. If I'm not back in an hour, woops.

Well I looked through the BIOS, couldn't see anything relating to South Bridge (though if it said SB600 I missed it). I did a search on voltage for the south bridge and realized... the GSATAII ports are controlled by the Gigabyte SATAII controller, not the South Bridge chip. SB is for the SATAII ports (4 yellow ones) not the GSATAII ports (2 purple ones). I'm no PC guru by any means, hardware & I don't see eye to eye on many things but to me searching for chin to change the voltage for a chipset that has nothing to do with the controller in question seems pointless.

Did I miss something? :D

Well I looked through the BIOS, couldn't see anything relating to South Bridge (though if it said SB600 I missed it). I did a search on voltage for the south bridge and realized... the GSATAII ports are controlled by the Gigabyte SATAII controller, not the South Bridge chip. SB is for the SATAII ports (4 yellow ones) not the GSATAII ports (2 purple ones). I'm no PC guru by any means, hardware & I don't see eye to eye on many things but to me searching for chin to change the voltage for a chipset that has nothing to do with the controller in question seems pointless.

Did I miss something? :D

nope that sounds about right.

maybe give the hdd a run through HDDtach and see if it reports any errors.

Edited by nesquick

I'd have to run the other 2 drives through as well since they all had the same error on this port. None of the drives have a problem on any of the yellow SATAII ports.

My 2 cents worth

implied warranty

eg carpet warranty is a great example

but for goods sold as electrical can have a 3 month warranty a 1 month warranty or a 15 year warranty (15 is the longest time a warranty can be cover)

mother boards comes with a 1 to 3 year manufactures warranty the retailer is not held accountable for that period they can and will probley cover it for a 12 month warranty i am pretty sure that is mandatory in some situations but might be wrong.

if you put it in a microwave it does break the warranty but also they have to prove that it was done by u and i am pretty sure they wont spend the time doing so as its not really cost effective.

i may have knowledge of this being done at times and having warranty fully cover by the retailer and the manufacture.

but if u do give any of your gear a spin in the microwave make sure its on low and never more then 20 sec

i have seen mother boards live throught 2 10 second bursts :)

I luff you Built by noob. I have a M2N Board sitting thats not worth selling & here doing nothing. Im going to go put it in the Microwave and call Asus tomorrow to do a RMA. Lets see how we go!

I luff you Built by noob. I have a M2N Board sitting thats not worth selling & here doing nothing. Im going to go put it in the Microwave and call Asus tomorrow to do a RMA. Lets see how we go!

i think that would just roast your microwave with all the metal in the board.

everyone else: any suggestions for a decent replacement?? will have to be available through altech (our supplier) so i can try and convince them to swap the faulty one out for a brand newey.

for clarity: six66mike bought the board from the store i work at :)

EDIT:

anyone know what the DFI DK 790FXB-M2RSH or the J&W JW-790GX-EXTREME are like from experience????

Edited by G-relk

The Microwave im going to use in in the garage and is about 20 years old lol. I was going to take it when I move out of home but meh.

If you can G-relk get onto altech and try to swindle a replacement asap. It would be awesome. Altech may be nice enough to swap it over for an asus board. I know when I was working as a bench tech in a PC store Synnex did that for me a few times when I had to send back 5 gigabyte EP45-UD3L which they swapped over for Asus P5 boards and took the problem up with gigabyte.

Asus M4A78-E AM2+ 790GX would pretty much be the same as the GA-MA790FX-DS5.

Edited by mudg3

The Microwave im going to use in in the garage and is about 20 years old lol. I was going to take it when I move out of home but meh.

If you can G-relk get onto altech and try to swindle a replacement asap. It would be awesome. Altech may be nice enough to swap it over for an asus board. I know when I was working as a bench tech in a PC store Synnex did that for me a few times when I had to send back 5 gigabyte EP45-UD3L which they swapped over for Asus P5 boards and took the problem up with gigabyte.

Asus M4A78-E AM2+ 790GX would pretty much be the same as the GA-MA790FX-DS5.

only problem is that Altech stopped dealing with Asus's motherboards aaagggeeeessss ago moslty due to quality control reasons i think, which really sucks. if you have a look at my last post i found some replacements that i should be able to get, what do you think??

If you can get the DFI board I would recommend that out of experience. Good board I did a ton of cheap AMD gaming rigs for my tight ass mates and its a good overclocker too.

If you can get the DFI board I would recommend that out of experience. Good board I did a ton of cheap AMD gaming rigs for my tight ass mates and its a good overclocker too.

that was my preferance too, so i think ill go with that.

Just sent an email off to the guy that runs the RA department at Altech so well see what happens. hopefully well get a positive result.

The DFI board doesn't have eSata (not that I can see through the dust anyways) while the J&W has 1 atleast. I'll be getting 1 HotBox ProWay in the near future and hopefully a 2nd one down the road for backups. The Foxconn A79A-S has 2 eSATA ports which matches the Gigabyte board th closest by the look of it.

Edited by six66mike

ah, well then yeah, the foxconn is probably the way to go then. i only had a quick look at it and it looked to only have 4 SATA ports, so i didnt worry about it. but it does have 6 according to there website.

either way, i didnt tell frank which ones i reccommended to you for the replacement, so at least we arent tied into either of the two boards that i reccomended in this thread.

You've got a hell of a discount on the Foxconn board atm, if I were shopping for a new one I'd probably go with that just for the price lol

You've got a hell of a discount on the Foxconn board atm, if I were shopping for a new one I'd probably go with that just for the price lol

we do try ^^

EDIT: shit, wrong account.

*jedi mind trick*

this post was made by G-relk

Edited by Spider-Man

EDIT: shit, wrong account.

*jedi mind trick*

this post was made by G-relk

Your signature already told us that :D

"Im G-relks Work alt, just to save confusion"