iamthemaxx

Computer Store Comparison - online and physical

why has nobody mentioned scorptech?

delt with the a couple of times, one time had to jump through hoops with an RMA for a stiker II but they were bloody brilliant and fast always offered advice and gave me alternative options, sure their prices are generally 20 30 bucks higher, but they are extremely trust worthy, even had firned buy $5000pc's from them. 9/10 (just ti nitpick the prices hehe otherwise 10)

PC Case Gear, again used them a good number of times, very reliable, called me when they were out of stock on a fan the next morning after placing my order (they woke me up!) suggested alternatives and were very helpful, quick delivery competitive pricing (what scorptech should be matching) and has a great range of products including WCing. 10/10

MSY (Auburn)

2/10

I've lowered this from 6/10 because they've effectively become completely useless. On the upside, the lines are very short now. Why? Because they don't sell anything except the most shitastic of parts which no one else wants. I've never before gone into MSY with a list of parts for a complete PC, and come out with only a keyboard, mouse and optical drive. And even with the limited customers, the service is still unacceptably slow. Go to ITEstate instead.

Edited by .:Cyb3rGlitch:.

Digital Centre

4/10 Cheap but slow, poor service.

Story goes I was looking to purchase a large screen TV, of which Digital Centre was the best price, and few were willing to price match. First problem was that online stock was from a different supplier, that was not actually in stock but at a cheaper price, which set me back a month or so for delivery not wanting to go for the more expensive store stock they actually had. Delivery was fine, but lacked the free wireless USB dongle they bundled with the TV, and also lacked the extended warranty information. Two months after delivery, I still do not have the dongle or the extended warranty. They are quick to answer the phone, but spit out unmet reassurance that it will arrive in two weeks. Then 10 days. Still no information. During the last call I got it out of them that they are waiting to do a bulk purchase of the warranty, and that this is what they always do, despite making no mention of it to the customer at any stage during purchase.

So, for cheap prices they are fine, but delivery can set you back a month or so and you might not get any extras in a timely manner. Also be wary of any time frames they give you, as 3/4 of the times they gave me for delivery were not met.

Another +1 to Pc case gear ordered something 2 days ago and paid for standard shipping meaning it would get here after christmas.

Well it came in a express bag today from melbourne to the sunshine coast in QLD with a little merry xmas note too.

Woot for free express shipping for christmas

Could I suggest the OP aggregate the results, much the way "part the first" was?

You could, but he is pretty lazy!

I'll do it if you like and then someone can edit the first post and add them in. I mean this is only 2 pages worth so it's not too bad

I'll do it if you like and then someone can edit the first post and add them in. I mean this is only 2 pages worth so it's not too bad

Except you can't edit other peoples posts....

Megaware

Rating - 4/10.

Quite slow service, not entirely friendly, and they don't always respond to emails. Their new site is slow and full of flaws, and the most reasonable shipping they provide is Auspost. However they have competitive pricing, and will send you what you paid for.

Megaware

Rating - 1/10.

I ordered from them two weeks ago, and you’ll find that any “savings” are heavily eaten up by the overpriced delivery fee and CC interest charge. It turned out to be more expensive in total (the delivery is more than twice of the AustPost fee). Also, even with CC payment, they still took two days to confirm payment. So in total it took 5 working days to get my order. I’m used to next day delivery when I pay with CC. They need to sort their shit out.

Two of the items I bought need to be RMA’d too. The mouse came in a clearly damaged box which they tried to repair with sticky tape. My guess is it’s not a new mouse and they’ve tried to resell a retuned item as new. The other item probably isn’t their fault, but the left joy stick on the game pad doesn’t work properly. Half the time left is right and right is right.

I’m not easy with RMA’ing the items through them either (even though they should replace the items with their stock since they were basically DOA). They have really weird conditions of RMA’s, and they’ll charge you $50 per item if they “can’t find anything wrong with the item”. This is totally fucked as the game pad works half the time.

IJK

Rating - 10/10

Started my order at 6pm with an enquiry enclosed. By 8pm enquiry had bene answered and my order was reserved and waiting payment. Payment verified by computer 11pm. Payment verified by person 8:30 am (this is now the next morning after I started ordering). Recived the parcel 2pm. (I recieved my goods in less than 24 hours after ordering.)

Emailing staff with queries about your order is quick and easy. The website is fairly simple but great and easy to use. They will definetly have my business when I buy a full system.

Centrecom

Rating: 9/10

With several stores in Victoria, I had never shopped with them until recently nor really heard of them much nor browsed their website much until they came up with hits listing good prices on some hardware searching via staticice.com.au.

Ordered a few brand new items from them online Thursday morning 4th Feb (including an Eaton 5110 UPS and an ASUS K72JR-TY028X notebook), and they all arrived fine (packed well too) today (in the Newcastle NSW area) Wed 10th Feb - sooner than I expected.

Their email order update communication was good, their courier tracking links and online order details info is good.

Their website appears not as polished in some ways at a glance, but overall it seems functional and fast - good enough.

They seem to require some special form filled in, signed and mailed or faxed to them for credit card authorisation which would have taken some time and thus lead me to choose alternate payment - I would have much preferred to use the credit card then & there.

Overall I'm very happy with their service, and the core item in my order was very cheap - good value I believe!

I can't give them less than 9/10 based on this one time I have ever dealt with them, good stuff.

---

Mwave

Rating: 8/10

Have placed a couple of orders for various components with them over the past few years - they seemed to offer pretty good prompt service, with a range of good value "sale" items changing each week.

Whilst a fair whack of other stuff appears a little above average in price sometimes.

I have been happy with their communication, online account management, as well as their online product browsing and shopping functionality.

I rate them 8/10, based on all my dealings with them which have all been online.

---

MSY

Rating: 4/10

Only ever went to their Ultimo store once and was quite disappointed.

I expected poor service, it to be busy etc. which were both true, but added to that a quite pathetic retail shopfront area it's just all too poor even for their real cheap prices.

I shudder at the thought of having to deal with them regarding some warranty issue (though honestly I have heard only a few OK and not-so-OK reports about this with MSY, more or less averaging out).

All retail stores need a certain level of customer service and shopfront quality & quantity, and MSY fell well below this on the day I visited.

I rate them 4/10 based on the one & only time I went to Ultimo in person - if they weren't so cheap it would be a 3 or 2.

Edited by ssar

as for MSY Ultimo, they are great with returns, warranties, cash-back, and RMA's in my experience (I use them whenever I can) which brings me to their only gripe with them - lack of stock

sure you may have to wait a bit sometimes (just as often it's a walk up start) but it's all worth it for the prices, and knowing that they're quick, real quick to remedy any situation where goods are faulty etc.

I've found them far superior to the Auburn store as far as waiting goes, they're just ridiculous sometimes!

PCCaseGear

10/10

ITEstate

10/10

Centrecom

10/10

Added text:

In response to iamthemaxx's post below:

In the past three years I have built 7 complete machines and parts for about a dozen others. Each time I have purchased from either PCCasegear, CentreCom and ITEstate.

Each time the part(s) have arrived within the week, (the fastest was 2 days for parts from Centrecom)

I have found them to be siginificantly cheaper than all the retail stores in Canberra and as good, if not better in price thatn the computer fairs.

Of the last 2 machines that I have built, one was primarily purchased form Centrecom and the other from IT Estate.

So in essence, I have never had issues ordering from, receiving hardware from, nor communicating with PCCG, CentreCom or ITEstate and their prices are excellent. (Hence the high ratings)

p.s. my apologies for the extremely late reply (i forget to backtrack my previous postings)

Edited by Guy Smiley

Im gonna have to give Techbuy an 8/10 as they have lowered their prices slightly. They still offer the cheapest Air Freight service of any online retailer. And as I have said many times, they generously helped me out after getting ripped off by nintek.

PC Case Gear. 10/10. For all the reasons mentioned before.

CPL (West Melbourne) -2/10.

Yes, that is a negative. Prices are pretty good, but service is ... naff, and don't get me started on RMAs. Had a 5750 die after 2.5 weeks, had to go through all sorts of crap with the RMA. "We didn't recieve it, blah blah blah)" even though AustPost has it confirmed as being delivered. Then get an email from the other guy in warranty saying it's ready for pickup! Then get it picked up, and all the cables, boxes, dongles, etc are missing and no-one will return my emails, etc. And I've even been courteous! Stick to the others.

i'll throw in another couple to back up some others that have been posted

Pc Case Gear

Rating: 10/10

Reason: This is where the majority of my business goes, and to me, the benchmark that all other e-tailers should aspire to, they have a good range, good stock updates and competitive pricing. Customer service is fantastic, any and all dealings i've had have been quick and clean.

Also, their website is supurb, very easy to navigate, with excelent categories and product grouping

Mwave

Rating: 7/10

Reason: I would have loved to have given Mwave a 10 here... they have competitive pricing, a MASSIVE product range and their search/category function is among the best i have seen on any website. (up tuntil their most recent interface change, i must say.. went a smidge down hill there, but still above average) Their stock request is very smooth, and customer service is good, nearly all dealings i've had with them have been flawless.

What's lost them points here is how many problems i've had with products from them. The RMA process is reletetively painless (compared to what i've seen from other e-tailers, but it is still painfull in it's own right). Maximum i have had to wait for a replacement is two weeks, including the RMA request, postage, and them having to order the part from a supplier.

From misadvertising, to outright faulty products, i have had to spend much much more than i am comfortable with in postage sending things back (although, in one instance, after a bit of a back and forth, and me crossing my arms, sitting down, and throwing a tantrum, i got my own way and they paid for a courier to pick up a large item from my house, because i refused to pay the shipping costs to send it back).

Wireditsolutions.com.au 9/10

He is in Katherine, NT, but has a supplier in the eastern states. He has a Microsoft Excel Price list that he updates twice a month. I have found his prices very very reasonable and overnight air freight price even better. You can either ring him and place and order or email him and he will give you and exact price and ETA.

Umart.com.au 7/10

I have currently a system arriving from them via Toll road express. I havent been overly impressed with their customer service but prices are generally good. Stock levels I found misleading as their website states they have items in stock but then they tell they dont.

Pc Case Gear 10/10

Orderd a couple of things from there over the past couple of weeks. Very quick delivery and i had sent them a few emails about certain parts and they responded really quickly. Very Happy.

I know it's anecdotal so you should take this with a grain of salt but I had an issue with Scorptech's service, Speaking to sales on the phone for a bit sorting out a new system and there was absolutely no problem I submit the system on line I get a message 1 day later telling me that can't do it, I referred them to the phone call I made and 4 days later they haven't even bother replying to me.

Order the same system on PC case gear and they ship the next day and 150 bucks cheaper..

A bit disappointed with Scorptech because prior to this they were the only online supplier I had ever used probably spent near 10grand there over the years they were always the first supplier I would recommend when people ask about suppliers.

Scrop 6/10 bad service experiance and prices seem a little higher than a few of the competition at the moment.

PC Case Gear 9/10 Great service, prices not as good as MSY but MSY can be awkward to do business with sometimes.

What does everyone think of simline.com.au apart from it like badly needs a new website make over if not a whole damn new one lol

Anyone delt or bought stuff off them? I want your thoughts!!!!

This is my first time on a forum like this but I had to tell someone who cares that I FINALLY had a win with a little PC shop in Brisbane...I went everywhere to get a repair on my mobo but noone seemed to know what was wrong. They kept telling me it was fine. So I tried the little PC shop in Alderley, North of the city, and OMG they fixed it for $85! Least these boys arnt affraid to pull things apart and spend time helping a gal out!!! Thx boyz u rock xoxox

Edited by ladydaywalker