iamthemaxx

Computer Store Comparison - online and physical

Ummm the price of a new mobo, but not labor to actually put it in place.

If it was a mobo change, she got a very good deal.

If it was just a dodgy card of some sort or a dodgy HDD the labor would be much less.

My guess is HDD replacement. :)

I was thinking a cheap amd board,(which can be around $60) or more likely something they had laying around. :)

EDIT: tantryl has the most likely scenario.

Edited by bowiee

If it was a new mobo (unless the exact same specs) and definitely if it was a new HDD, then a Windows re-install would be necessary and that definitely doesn't fit in the $85 market.

JB Hi-Fi 2/10

Wouldn't replace a dodgy Xbox controller until I finally spoke to the store manager (who apparently "did me a favour"). I don't like being a cunt but it seems to be the only way to deal with some retailers.

.........lol

Its called Computer Drive :) and I don't think you work there >.< hehehe :P

You're weird... and welcome :)

My money's on a CMOS clearing and component re-seating :P

Yep, that's sound like an hours labor... or minimum workshop fee.

JB Hi-Fi 2/10

Wouldn't replace a dodgy Xbox controller until I finally spoke to the store manager (who apparently "did me a favour"). I don't like being a cunt but it seems to be the only way to deal with some retailers.

Yea, he didn't do you a favour legally they must handle replacement or warranty for you if you insist on it if the product if faulty. They can not force you to go to the manufacturer. They usually know this but that doesn't mean they wont make it hard for you to make progress with them unless you really put your foot down.

Isn't there some other thread(s) about this?

Yes there is a thread on computer stores, Online store comparison but the OP was just commenting on his perceived good service from a particular store, not asking for recommendations on which is the best store. :)

What does everyone think of simline.com.au apart from it like badly needs a new website make over if not a whole damn new one lol

Anyone delt or bought stuff off them? I want your thoughts!!!!

I have never tried them and probably never will..... Why?

For example i7-930

MSY $362

Simline $412.50

Saving $50.50

Example 2

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

MSY $276

Simline $313.50

Saving $37.50

Example 3

Windows 7 64bit OEM

MSY $113

Simline $176

Saving A Wopping $63

So just by shopping else where I've saved $151 and thats just for 3 items

I have never tried them and probably never will..... Why?

For example i7-930

MSY $362

Simline $412.50

Saving $50.50

Example 2

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

MSY $276

Simline $313.50

Saving $37.50

Example 3

Windows 7 64bit OEM

MSY $113

Simline $176

Saving A Wopping $63

So just by shopping else where I've saved $151 and thats just for 3 items

I found that Gocomp's prices were just as good if not better than MSY in some cases, like above

For example i7-930

MSY $362

Gocomp $352.9

Saving $9.1

Example 2

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

MSY $276

Gocomp $269

Saving $7

Example 3

Windows 7 64bit OEM

MSY $113

Gocomp $112

Not much of a saving towards the end but every buck counts right...

They also show the amount of stock they have left on an item which is handy and postage is pretty cheap, $14 when i ordered my X58A-UD3R motherboard and 2 WD hard drives....

Gocomp - 9/10 (Only negative is no online credit card payment, have to use direct deposit or BPAY)

Edited by sh4dow

PC Case gear is pure win, i can't possibly recommend them enough,

other than that I'd suggest ARC Computers if your out west (Penrith way) although i think they've gone down hill abit (particularly the guy working there that looks like a weasel)

Ive always used pccasegear and umart online, 99% of the time using the delivery option and rarely going in store. But its hard when you move from Brisbane to Armidale (country hole) and all of the local pc store prices are literally double the price.

MSY has horrible service but awesome prices. they have a fair few shops too :D. God help you if you get a DOA component though...

I have ARC for a local retail shop, but they just can't compete against PCCG on price and diverse range. Haven't been there in a couple years though.

MSY is fine if you live near it other wise travel time and expenses don't justify them over e-tailers.

I used MSY for my last build. Apart from the 45 minute line to pick up my parts I've no complaints. I emailed the order and received a confirmation in less than 15 minutes.

Edited by tailgunner

I Used MSY ONCE, did a search and they were 1 of the few who had what I wanted, I looked at their then hopeless website (might have changed since) then rang to confirm.....Yes all's well. Got there and sorry no part!!! Not cool. I'm glad you all have had good experiences there. They didn't seem very competent to me.

Umatrt is usually ok, though with my last purchase all looked well from outside the packing in-store but when I got home the hard drive had, by the look of it been dropped and the plastic plug shroud was crushed. It was not visible at time of purchase and they charged me a re-stock fee so their off the Xmas list!

oops The restock was for power supply that WAS fair (I Spose :), the HDD was 100% damaged on purchase but they did send it off to be fixed. The moral is check EVERYTHING 100% before you leave the store.

for the small number of people living in the western Sydney area's Penrith and Blue Mountains area's ARC is great, their prices are pretty darn brilliant for a privately owned store. ( www.arc.com.au )

I am literally 5 minutes walk away from the Computer Alliance store on Logan road, it's epic.

i use simline.com.au online store prices may not be as good as some other places but they have outstanding after service! so yeah i wouldnt shop to anyone else

You could just post your ratings of stores in the sticky above :)

Yeah, as much as I don't want to look like I am telling people to use my sticky, I might just merge this one into the sticky and amend the title to something a little more generic.

MSY Ultimo (NSW)

4/10 (only cause they are cheap)

While these guys are cheap, they really suck. Their site is shit (PDF price list!) and their service is only just bearable.

Now I know they are all these because they are pushing parts out as cheap as possible, but when you can pay a little more (and it's getting littler), there are far better alternatives.

well i went recently to the other Sydney office in auburn and even though there was 1 group of people with 3 attendants just gas bagging i had myself and my partner and our carer and got a attendant that just wanted to sit on his computer and play pc games and did not pay us any attention until i piped up and said something to him and when asked to have a look for stock that the site said they had he was not willing to get off his ass to go and have a look for it shame on you msy you should have you more customer service skills then that when you have at least 7 computer retailers with in a 5-10 walk from your store.

rating 1/10

JPL Displays

10/10...heck, I'd give them 20/10 if I could.

These guys are the epitome of good service. Nothing is too hard for them, ask and ye shall receive. Want to increase a bulk order by an odd quantity? Done. Need to add extra items to that bulk order, and you'd like to get them at the bulk price, too? Not a problem. Have an issue with the invoice after it's been generated and sent to you, and you need to change some details? Send an email and within minutes the updated invoice is returned.

Their pricing is very good, too, and they are the only place to go for high quality blank optical media. Every time I've dealt with them it's been an absolute pleasure.

I Used MSY ONCE, did a search and they were 1 of the few who had what I wanted, I looked at their then hopeless website (might have changed since) then rang to confirm.....Yes all's well. Got there and sorry no part!!! Not cool. I'm glad you all have had good experiences there. They didn't seem very competent to me.

Umatrt is usually ok, though with my last purchase all looked well from outside the packing in-store but when I got home the hard drive had, by the look of it been dropped and the plastic plug shroud was crushed. It was not visible at time of purchase and they charged me a re-stock fee so their off the Xmas list!

oops The restock was for power supply that WAS fair (I Spose :), the HDD was 100% damaged on purchase but they did send it off to be fixed. The moral is check EVERYTHING 100% before you leave the store.

Ever tried getting great customer service out of someone you're paying a pittance?