iamthemaxx

Computer Store Comparison - online and physical

Another high mark for PCCG. Ordered some fans and cables and shit, got them in WA two days later. Unfortunately whoever packed it didn't notice the 'pack of 4' next to the fan, so I told them, and they shipped them over. Tracker says they've been in town since 11am, were at Melbourne airport or whatever last night. Van literally pulled up at my house right now, it's probably them.

EDIT: Yep, three more fans for my system.

PCCG have crazily overpriced shipping because they use Air Express or something. For a few small items you can get away with only $19 like I just did, but as soon as you add more it starts to jump pretty quick. Ordering a whole case from them can cost more than the case to ship. Also they have a CC surcharge which can be an added sting if you're buying a lot of stuff.

If it wasn't for the order mishap, shipping pricing (but shipping speed is amazing) and CC surcharge, they'd be a perfect 10/10. So I'm going to with 9/10.

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony

Yer the cc charge was a bit of a wtf.. but it wasnt too bad, i ordered over $400 of kit (22' samsung monitor, mousepad, 212+ cooler, g110 KB, 955be cpu, samsung hdd) shipping was $31 normal or $51 express, used normal got it the next day anyway, yer they are one of the best priced stores online and i guess they make a lil extra with cc charge, you can used direct despoit and miss the surcharge but it takes an extra day to clear the funds into their account. I am very impressed with them, glad to read of many others who are just as happy with their experince with them =]

I want to recommend these guys:

http://greenboxit.com.au/#

Sure, they won the staticice race to the lowest price, but their service was great, too. Monitor wasn't available straight away (and I ordered just before a weekend) but they replied to my queries etc in a friendly yet professional manner. And when the product became available, the courier was prompt and even found my house! (Not the easiest thing to do). I would certainly use again

9/10

arc computers heaps cheap but watch the advice from penrith store 10/10 amd x6 phenom 1100t $201 cant go wrong

I want to recommend these guys:

Sure, they won the staticice race to the lowest price, but their service was great, too. Monitor wasn't available straight away (and I ordered just before a weekend) but they replied to my queries etc in a friendly yet professional manner. And when the product became available, the courier was prompt and even found my house! (Not the easiest thing to do). I would certainly use again

9/10

hmm I ordered some stuff of these guys last Monday and its still sitting on awaiting dispatch. Prices were good and one of the only places I could source my server gear at a decent price so ill post my thoughts this week coming "once" I get the gear.

Penta -5/10

Paid for 3 monitors but they hadn't arrived after a week, which was unusual. Called them up and they said they were being shipped and would be with me soon. A few days alter no monitors, called and got the same response.

Skip forward 2 weeks, no monitors, same response. Kept asking for a tracking number but was never provided one despite them "being shipped".

Ended up calling and asking for a refund and was advised that the monitors had actually been received but were faulty so they had to ship them back to the supplier and wait for new ones (they never thought to tell me this when I called up). I told them I wanted another similarly spec'd units shipped out, waiting 3 weeks for 3 monitors is bullshit. They said they had 3 in stock and would ship them out Friday, expect them Tues (was the long weekend). These replacements never arrived.

By this point I'd spent hours on the phone trying to speak to a manager, had requested but never received a number of call backs with status updated.

4 weeks after ordering, no monitors, constant "it's been shipped", no real assistance, I called up and demanded a refund or else I would lodge a complaint with Fair Trading. The next day the monitors arrived.

We've been using Penta for a while now, spent about 10-20 thousand with them.

But I won't touch them with a stick after the shit they have put us through for just 3 monitors.

Really piss poor effort for a few hundred dollars. Well done Penta.

Just saw this thread, have made a few purchased online recently so will update here.

TheKoolRoom.com - 10/10

+ Ordered Wednesday morning, shipped Wednesday afternoon, arrived in WA Friday afternoon.

+ Very quick reply to email query.

+ Very well packaged and good automatic communication by email (updates when it was processed/shipped).

+ Also included some cheap free torch and some lollies which was a nice touch.

PCCG - 9/10

+ Ordered Saturday, shipped Tuesday, arrived Wednesday. Unexplained 1 day delay.

- No reply to email query

+ Well packaged and reasonably priced shipping

GAM Mods - 8/10

+ Good range, only supplier carrying certain things within Australia

+ Was very well packaged upon arrival

- Shipping 50% more expensive than larger/heavier orders from PCCG and KoolRoom

+ Shipping was "upgraded" to express and came rather quickly, even though it wasn't an option at checkout

+ Discounts available for certain forum memberships

- Website sucks and needs to be updated

Edited by p0is(+)n

Greenbox I.T 6/10

Good prices but I ordered the parts 2 weeks ago on the monday afternoon and payed the extra for the courier service so that it would be in the next couple of days instead of taking ages by auspost.

Greenboxit over a week for the items to be distributed when they said that everything was in stock and I was told that everything was in stock that I had ordered I wanted it for that weekend. The next wednesday I received a tracking number for fast way couriers I thought sweet it will be here in the next or 2 but nothing turned up on friday. Yesterday morning I received a call from a guy from fast-way who was calling in regard to my delivery he told me he couldn't find my house with the address given I listed of a few thing that would make him easy to find my place as im off a busy road. He was on the other side of town on another street with my name and he'd been given the wrong suburb by greenbox to deliver the items too. I'd asked for the good to be delivered to my work address but greenbox was trying to deliver to my home address and fucked it up anyway as the dude was 1/2 way to the gold coast.

I told gave the guy the correct details and he said that he would make sure I got the stuff that afternoon as he was driving through newstead on the way home so he would drop it off for me after his shift. Got the stuff yesterday afternoon at 4pm after 2 weeks of not much action. I do have to say that from what I've read these guys are over worked and mistakes happen the guy that was looking after me was always promt and gave me the information requested but it seems my issue was with the warhouse and not with the shop front. Anyway it wont stop me from buying from there I'll give them a 2nd chance

http://thekoolroom.com/ - 9/10

Good, fast service, attractive webstore. They even gave me a couple of free items (keyring torch, lanyard, bag of lollies) with my $700 order.

Using boxes stamped with their own name instead of reusing some HP or Dell box as many others do is a nice touch, as was the personalised hand written note welcoming me to the Koolroom on the invoice. I was even impressed with the invoice itself.

And they seem to always have something on special.

I only have 2 issues. Neither of them are show stoppers.

1 is that the screws for the radiators were wrapped in a piece of offcut cardboard that I nearly threw out.

And you cannot preorder. I want items that they will not have in stock for another month and I'd like to oreder them now instead of watching the site to see when stock is replenished.

PCCG - 8/10.

I do most of my shopping through these guys. They don't seem to like emails, and are uninterested on the phone.

But their prices, and shipping speed are fantastic.

Although, one of their couriers stole things out of my wallet. (My fault, but a little honesty would have been nice.)

CentreCom - 8/10

I've been to both Frankston and Bendigo stores.

I work pretty close to the Frankston store, so I find myself shopping here quite a bit.

They don't always have stock, and their website stock levels are innacurate. But they are happy to order.

Prices are similar to PCCG, less postage for me.

Scorptech - 7/10

I've been in store to their Rowville and clayton branches, as well as shopped online.

In store, they were both quite good. Rowville was fast, and gave honest opinions about their products.

Clayton was friendly, and not above a little small talk.

Prices are generally more expencive than PCCG, but you can find a bargain every now and then.

Landmark Computers - 7/10 (Frankston)

Customer service was quite high, returned phone calls and went that little bit extra to help me.

I've only been there once, but I won't hesitate to go back.

MSY - 6/10

Generally uninterested in everything. Though their prices are cheap.

Most times I have been, they do not have what I went in for, and offer me a similar item.

There's not one in my area, so I barely go there.

GAM Mods - 8/10

- Website sucks and needs to be updated

Gammods site had an issue with the online store being unable to process requests if you were accessing form a corporate or government network.

This was bugging me, so I told them how to fix it and I was then able to place my order. Friendly service with some good deals and good enthusiast gear. I paid more postage than was needed and I think this is due to them having to guess what AusPost are going to charge and adding some to ensure they aren't running a loss. Courier services are easier to estimate price on and I would like them to start using AAE or someone.

MSY

I blew up my GFs PC and now need to fix it.

Ordered online for a pickup at MSY Auburn.

As a part of the confirmation email I read:

Technical Support is CLOSED on Weekend (NO faulty item refund or replacement on Saturday and Sunday)

So if I install an item and it is faulty I cannot run back to the store to swap it. In fact, I would need to apply for leave from work to claim the warranty on a week day.

I understand they have a reputation for being busy(at least in the old Auburn store) on weekends, but is this shit legal ?

I'll try looking at other places first now. That is a disgusting policy.

C-nettech 8.5/10

Werribee Store... they have 5 stores but i think they are all franchises... i think.

I have built my last 2 computers throught these guys and there pricing has been OK, not as cheap as MSY etc... but i would rather buy from a store 5 mins from my house where i can go back quickly and throw components at there heads when things go wrong.

Service was quite good, replaced ram etc...

They do cheaper for Cash. (but charge extra for Credit cards from memory)..thats how they get you.

Worth a shot.... be interested if any one else has had much experience with them.... have een people complaining there...but the customers i felt where being un realistic.

Also another i used to use:

http://www.abcd.com.au/

9/10

I used this guy for along time, he is good. but just not high end gaming pc orientated... so not quite the range of components one might want.

MSY

I blew up my GFs PC and now need to fix it.

Ordered online for a pickup at MSY Auburn.

As a part of the confirmation email I read:

Technical Support is CLOSED on Weekend (NO faulty item refund or replacement on Saturday and Sunday)

So if I install an item and it is faulty I cannot run back to the store to swap it. In fact, I would need to apply for leave from work to claim the warranty on a week day.

I understand they have a reputation for being busy(at least in the old Auburn store) on weekends, but is this shit legal ?

I'll try looking at other places first now. That is a disgusting policy.

That is really strange I deal with the Bundamba and Indooroopilly branches and that is not in their confirmation emails. Must be just an Auburn thing. Edited by bowiee

Greenboxit 0/10 (i'd give negative if that were possible)

Bought two practically complete and similar systems from them last year. I confirmed 100x they had the parts before ordering. I paid by credit card with additional fee so it would be processed instantly. I also chose whatever fastest delivery option there was.

Called them a ~100 times - this time literally: i did call them about 100 times coz there landline almost never worked or had busy tone. Finally got through and guy tells me my parts are ready to leave the same day.

Waited ~2 weeks, then called again, and he tells me there were issues coz some stuff were missing but it was then ready to leave.

I finally got my box a week later or so, and sure enough, lots of things were missing. And it was nearly time I'd be going away. I was pretty pissed. Called another 100x but couldn't get through. Emailed ~10 times or so, nothing no response. After hearing nothing and unable to call them for a few days, I organised cashback through my bank, left, came back, bought other pc parts to make up for missing ones. And by that time, I had one complete rig and an incomplete rig that I no longer had any use for (sorta needed it before leaving australia).

Surely enough, few days after cashback processed, I GET THOSE FREAKING MISSING PARTS (2-3 months after order) AND i get call from greenboxit (while interstate) asking for money. I told them what happened and that I didn't want their parts anymore - not the SO LATE DELIVERED PARTS and no longer needed incomplete system. I confirmed 10x that they were OK with me sending back these items in their given condition (i.e. opened, but unused). Guy acknowledged 10x he knew I didn't want those particular parts and I wouldn't have to pay for them and they were OK for me to return those and pay for the rest.

Surely enough after shipping those back, I get a call from their manager threatening to report me to police, sue me for credit card fraud and other stuff if I didn't pay the full amount. After explaining to her the whole situation and what the guy agreed to, she said she'd call me back afterwards. A few days later, got a call back. she still threatened to report me to police, sue me for fraud, etc. unless I paid the full amount. However, she'd be refunding me part of it after assessing the items I returned.

In the end, they only accepted the return of 2 graphics card and sent me back the motherboard (opened unused) cpu (opened unused) psu (unopened) and ram (unopened) - saying that these were discontinued products and they couldn't sell those (the psu and ram) - but then again they made me wait so many months before sending those out!!

so yeah, i'd give negative rating for greenboxit if allowed, otherwise 0/10

Yeah man see above I spoke to one dude there who was helpful but it totally seemed out of his control just seems to be dodgy management or something.

Greenboxit 0/10 (i'd give negative if that were possible)

Bought two practically complete and similar systems from them last year. I confirmed 100x they had the parts before ordering. I paid by credit card with additional fee so it would be processed instantly. I also chose whatever fastest delivery option there was.

Called them a ~100 times - this time literally: i did call them about 100 times coz there landline almost never worked or had busy tone. Finally got through and guy tells me my parts are ready to leave the same day.

Waited ~2 weeks, then called again, and he tells me there were issues coz some stuff were missing but it was then ready to leave.

I finally got my box a week later or so, and sure enough, lots of things were missing. And it was nearly time I'd be going away. I was pretty pissed. Called another 100x but couldn't get through. Emailed ~10 times or so, nothing no response. After hearing nothing and unable to call them for a few days, I organised cashback through my bank, left, came back, bought other pc parts to make up for missing ones. And by that time, I had one complete rig and an incomplete rig that I no longer had any use for (sorta needed it before leaving australia).

Surely enough, few days after cashback processed, I GET THOSE FREAKING MISSING PARTS (2-3 months after order) AND i get call from greenboxit (while interstate) asking for money. I told them what happened and that I didn't want their parts anymore - not the SO LATE DELIVERED PARTS and no longer needed incomplete system. I confirmed 10x that they were OK with me sending back these items in their given condition (i.e. opened, but unused). Guy acknowledged 10x he knew I didn't want those particular parts and I wouldn't have to pay for them and they were OK for me to return those and pay for the rest.

Surely enough after shipping those back, I get a call from their manager threatening to report me to police, sue me for credit card fraud and other stuff if I didn't pay the full amount. After explaining to her the whole situation and what the guy agreed to, she said she'd call me back afterwards. A few days later, got a call back. she still threatened to report me to police, sue me for fraud, etc. unless I paid the full amount. However, she'd be refunding me part of it after assessing the items I returned.

In the end, they only accepted the return of 2 graphics card and sent me back the motherboard (opened unused) cpu (opened unused) psu (unopened) and ram (unopened) - saying that these were discontinued products and they couldn't sell those (the psu and ram) - but then again they made me wait so many months before sending those out!!

so yeah, i'd give negative rating for greenboxit if allowed, otherwise 0/10

See in Australia all you have to do with a problem like this is drop the line "I'll report you to the department of fair trading" and it usually resolves the issue then and there if not report them then send a copy of the sent report to the shop for lols.

Personally I don't blame them for getting the shits though, why on earth would you open parts you didn't want/need?

ARC Silverwater

Rating: 9/10

Went in to buy the Bitfenix Shinobi with the window which they said they have in stock. They only had the display model and somehow lost the box for it. After thinking about it, I got the windowless version and they knocked another $5 for my trouble. Awesome diplomacy and great thinking on their behalf. Just make sure you ring up just in case though to make sure they have stock.

Fluidtek I think has closed down as I can't seem to get anything from them and their website hasn't been updated since November.

mWave

Rating: 7.5/10

Ordered a few things from them as they were easy to get to since they were literally 50m down the street from my work place. I had to wait for their confirmation email to get the goods. Sure enough, got it and headed off to pick it up. Oddly enough, the customer service didn't get the memo and kept saying it wasn't ready. I showed them the email on my phone and the manager came in and told the customer service guy it was at back. He noticed me and apologised as he knew I was one of the RMA guys at work. So overall, prices are okay but definitely wait a day after you get that confirmation email to pick up the stuff.

Penta Group

http://penta.com.au/

-10 / 10

Worst company i have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

It was mentioned in a previous thread that a user had issues getting hard drives from them and i dismissed it due to the world hard drive issues (sorry qwakqwak)

I had ordered a NAS for my work when i was informed by a staff member there that i could receive it the next day, the next day i called and was informed that it would take 1 or two days.

Long story short i have been fucked left right and center by this lot and have been told that it will arrive tomorrow after i threatened to make a claim to our bank for a fraudulent transaction.

The main things that summed it up for me was when i went to the Sydney store and had to wait in line to complain (There was quite a few complaining),

that and when a member of staff openly told me to tell everyone i know not to order from Penta ever.

Edit: just so i don't sound like im bitching too much, i was informed over 5 times differing receive dates and where the product was actually coming from, with staff members hanging up on me and or leaving me on hold for over an hour... which apparently is very common.

Edited by Xen

Penta Group

-10 / 10

It was mentioned in a previous thread that a user had issues getting hard drives from them and i dismissed it due to the world hard drive issues (sorry qwakqwak)

Maybe you will listen to me next time ;)

Penta Group

-10 / 10

Maybe you will listen to me next time ;)

God yes, biggest bunch of douches ever.

Quite frankly i hope the store gets shutdown (the guys at the shop front in Sydney are OK though, i think they were getting bent over as much as the customers).

Does anyone know if getting the parcel protection for 12 bucks is worthwhile in my first of purchase from PC Case Gear?

I'm gonna be buying the Corsair 1500 Headset.

Does anyone know if getting the parcel protection for 12 bucks is worthwhile in my first of purchase from PC Case Gear?

What are they charging for 'basic' (un-'protected') shipping?

I've not bought anything there, but that seems a bit steep. The box the headset is in should provide a fair bit of protection itself

No its not worth it.

they will AAE your package so I wouldn't be worried.

...... And yes the website was encrypted with 128-bit SSL, and no I didn't have any keyloggers, viruses, etc. on my pc.

LOL last famous words of someone who got jacked

EDIT: +1 for PCCG. so speedy and efficient, great prices, only once was i disappointed a game controller i bought that had "ships in 24hr" on it was actually out of stock, not cool. but otherwise np

Edited by blackmancer