iamthemaxx

Computer Store Comparison - online and physical

www.jw.com.au - 9.5/10

Website is well enough laid out. Quite colourful. Enough detail of each item. Good range of brands.

Filtering Nvidia 700 series gives no results but I can see that they do stock them when I filter by brand. This is the only reason I've not given them a 10/10 rating.

4 walk-in stores around Sydney's West.

I put in orders at 4 different "stores" at roughly the same time. The first delivery I received was from JW.com.au.

What makes this kinda special is that this was the only place where the item I was after was actually out of stock at the time. And they still beat the other places.

For the particular item I was after** they were also the cheapest that I could find.

I was not aware that it was out of stock where I made the order. They do list availability data but I don't remember what that said at the time.

I received a phone call from them to tell me it was out of stock and that all future info will be via email.

The store I used to go to has now closed down. I didn't realise it was this company until last week. They were friendly and helpful without being too in your face in the store.

The customer service shown in this particular transaction has been brilliant, top notch.

Added to my list if favourite online stores for sure.

** Seasonic X-Series 650W PSU

I'm wishing I had bought the 750W as the 650W seems to be struggling to power the GTX680, but that's my own fault.

From what I know of PayPal, they take a cut of the transaction. However I don't know if it's a percentage or a flat rate per transaction - I do know that charities and other donations that offer PayPal suggest paying more than a dollar other wise PayPal fees eat into it too much to bother.

Actually I took two seconds and googled it, they list it on the PayPal Aus site:

For each domestic payment you receive, a small transaction fee of 2.4% of the total sale plus a fixed fee of $0.30 will be taken from your received funds. If you sell a lot, you can apply for our discounted merchant rates.

Discounted merchant rate

As low as 1.1% plus $0.30, based on monthly sales volume

International sales

3.4% plus a fixed fee based on the currency received. Additional fees may apply for international payments, currency conversions and other transactions.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

The 2% surcharge for paypal is bullshit. Same goes with credit/debit cards. How come other online stores offer credit/debit without a surcharge. I don't want to pay by DD then have to wait a few days before the payment is even processed.

The 2% surcharge for paypal is bullshit. Same goes with credit/debit cards. How come other online stores offer credit/debit without a surcharge. I don't want to pay by DD then have to wait a few days before the payment is even processed.

11.2 If you receive funds through our Services you must:

"c. Not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting our Services as a payment method."

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/usera...;locale.x=en_AU

11.2 If you receive funds through our Services you must:

"c. Not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting our Services as a payment method."

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/usera...;locale.x=en_AU

So PCCG shouldn't be allowed to charge an extra 2% to the customer?

Dropping in to give Umart (Milton and Chermside) a score roughly at 3/10.

Placed an order ages ago, selected parts on the Chermside store that were "In Stock" or "ETA" - ETA link said parts were in stock at Milton and would be taken to the Chermside store when I placed the order.

After placing the order, they emailed me a confirmation email with regards to which parts I would be waiting on transport for.

Everything turned up except the Motherboard and a Red LED strip. Don't care so much about the LED's, can get them anytime. Motherboard is kind of important though.

Get told the parts would be in last Friday, call Friday get told Monday, call Monday get told Wednesday (today), call Today get told this afternoon, receive email this afternoon asking me to wait another 1-2 days.

I am just about ready to stab someone. I like their service usually, but most orders are a real fuck-around to get in my experience. Warranty? No probs, they're fantastic. Technical Support? They're awesome. Orders? Jesus H. Christ, get your website to work and show stock properly and don't fuck people around. Previous ordering issues have included turning up to the store to pick-up parts and get told "Oh, we don't have those anymore".

They would be the best store ever if they could only sort out the ordering.

ocau :)

most of the computing gear in my house is from there (and also here)

thereafter i will also vouch for pc case gear for mail stuff, arc in chatswood for personal shopping (but like msy, not for the uninitiated), and a special nod to csv shop for not only the best deal on the planet for my wharfedale speakers, but returning a missed call almost instantly and being extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of the product - joe is a winnah !

I'm going to purchase a new monitor: Asus PB278Q

I have come up with three online stores to choose from: Umart Sydney, IT Estate or PCCG

I am in Sydney, so PCCG has the most expensive shipping, but that is not so much the issue. I would love to hear opinions on service from people who have dealt with them before...

Thanks!

IT Estate and PCCG are both good. Haven't used Umart Sydney.

Thanks for that!

BTW (to all), I realise these stores are mentioned earlier in the thread, but the thread is pretty old...recent experience would be most appreciated :)

I'm going to purchase a new monitor: Asus PB278Q

I have come up with three online stores to choose from: Umart Sydney, IT Estate or PCCG

I am in Sydney, so PCCG has the most expensive shipping, but that is not so much the issue. I would love to hear opinions on service from people who have dealt with them before...

Thanks!

I have used both Umart Sydney and IT Estate and have been very happy with both. If your only choice is out of those 2 then go with the one that is either cheaper or is closer to you.

I buy all my gear from PLE because of how close it is to me. I can't see the point of going to PCCG if i have to get it posted and then have to wait half a week etc. I'm also in WA though so that explains it.

Recently bought some parts from IJK in Enfield in Sydney. They were very cheap and the order process is perhaps the best I've ever seen. Website is up to date and stock levels are live. Email support is quite quick. Lots of easy parking too :-)

Thanks IJK.

They used to have an associate store in Canberra->Fyshwick but it seems to have closed down.

Possibly due to the proximity of MSY who've been here since at least early 2014. I've done almost all my computer gear purchases there since then.

Good prices but the busy times can mean 20-30 minutes waiting in a queue.

Mainly for comparo reasons and becuase I've not been for about 3 years I went to a computer fair http://www.computermarkets.com/cm/

Going back 3 years or so ago these were a fortnightly event and there'd be another one on most other weekends ran by a competing outfit.

The other guys are long gone and it seems now to be a monthly event.

Bottom line - barely worth going. Still 3 bucks to get in. All of about 7 vendors there on Saturday. The ones at the showground were huge at their peak with easily 30+ vendors and plenty of competition and prices lower than most b&m and online stores.

This time around, prices nothing to get excited about. No 2TB drive was under $100. The thermal paste I paid $9 for is $6 at MSY.